1812 Re: Invitation to connect on LinkedIn - BANNED

  • James Yaworsky
    Message 1 of 6 , May 18, 2011
      There are several ways that a message can get posted to a list like this one that don't involve the "poster's" conscious decision.

      If someone's email has been hacked, spoofed, phished, etc., then it behooves me as Moderator to protect every other member of this group and immediately place the "victim" on moderated status, until they are able to restore the integrity of their email.

      Please note, however: in case anyone thinks an invitation to link up on some social site etc is acceptable: it isn't.

      The only acceptable messages to this list are those that relate to the War of 1812 or the re-enacting of same... a rule that is sometimes broken, but one that I ask we all pay at least lip service to...

      Jim Yaworsky
      Moderator

      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Windsor <kevin.windsor@...> wrote:

      > and I can vouch that Murph is no spammer!
      >
      > It was most likely LinkedIn went through his address book and sent a mass email out. He probably had Larry as a contact with this address.
      >
      > Kevin
      >

      > To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
      > From: memathews@...
      > Date: Wed, 18 May 2011 08:23:27 -0700
      > Subject: Re: 1812 Re: Invitation to connect on LinkedIn - BANNED
      >

      > I don't know James' intent, but LinkedIn is a legitimate professional networking
      > service. A "serious" Facebook if you will. He *might* have just been trying to
      > link with Larry and mistakenly responded to a saved message. I don't think
      > sending that message to the 1812 list wouldn't get a spammer's desired response.
      >
      > Michael
      >
      > ---------------------------------
      > No act of kindness, however small is ever wasted. -- Aesop

    • usmarine1814
      Message 2 of 6 , May 19, 2011
        Hello all
        As Jim's son I can say without hesitation it was not an intentional posting. All of us (family and friends) got this email from him. I am not even sure he knows this all happened. I will mention it to him the first opportunity I get.

        YHOS
        Colin Murphy
        USS CON 1812 MG
        USMCHC