Invitation to connect on LinkedIn

  • James Murphy
    Message 1 of 6 , May 17, 2011
      LinkedIn
      ------------

      LUZON,

      - James

      James Murphy
      MAJ.CAPT.,LT.,CPL,PVT. at 1812 usmc
      Greater Boston Area

      Confirm that you know James Murphy
      https://www.linkedin.com/e/g0cjla-gnt569hg-4i/isd/2911349277/ysFzUHti/

      --
      (c) 2011, LinkedIn Corporation

    • James Yaworsky
      Message 2 of 6 , May 18, 2011
        This sort of message will get members immediately placed on "moderated" status.

        Jim Yaworsky
        Moderator

        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, James Murphy <cplusmc1812@...> wrote:

        > LinkedIn
        > ------------
        >

        > LUZON,

        > - James
        >
        > James Murphy
        > MAJ.CAPT.,LT.,CPL,PVT. at 1812 usmc
        > Greater Boston Area
        >
        > Confirm that you know James Murphy
        > https://www.linkedin.com/e/g0cjla-gnt569hg-4i/isd/2911349277/ysFzUHti/
        >

        > --
        > (c) 2011, LinkedIn Corporation

      • Michael Mathews
        Message 3 of 6 , May 18, 2011
          I don't know James' intent, but LinkedIn is a legitimate professional networking
          service.  A "serious" Facebook if you will.  He *might* have just been trying to
          link with Larry and mistakenly responded to a saved message.  I don't think
          sending that message to the 1812 list wouldn't get a spammer's desired response.

          Michael

           ---------------------------------
          No act of kindness, however small is ever wasted. -- Aesop

          ________________________________
          This sort of message will get members immediately placed on "moderated" status.

          Jim Yaworsky
          Moderator

          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, James Murphy <cplusmc1812@...> wrote:

          > LinkedIn
          > ------------
          >

          > LUZON,

          > - James
          >
          > James Murphy
          > MAJ.CAPT.,LT.,CPL,PVT. at 1812 usmc
          > Greater Boston Area
          >
          > Confirm that you know James Murphy
          > https://www.linkedin.com/e/g0cjla-gnt569hg-4i/isd/2911349277/ysFzUHti/
          >

          > --
          > (c) 2011, LinkedIn Corporation

        • Kevin Windsor
          Message 4 of 6 , May 18, 2011
            and I can vouch that Murph is no spammer!

            It was most likely LinkedIn went through his address book and sent a mass email out. He probably had Larry as a contact with this address.

            Kevin

            To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com

            This sort of message will get members immediately placed on "moderated" status.

            Jim Yaworsky
            Moderator

            --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, James Murphy <cplusmc1812@...> wrote:

            > LinkedIn
            > ------------
            >

            > LUZON,

            > - James
            >
            > James Murphy
            > MAJ.CAPT.,LT.,CPL,PVT. at 1812 usmc
            > Greater Boston Area

          • James Yaworsky
            Message 5 of 6 , May 18, 2011
              There are several ways that a message can get posted to a list like this one that don't involve the "poster's" conscious decision.

              If someone's email has been hacked, spoofed, phished, etc., then it behooves me as Moderator to protect every other member of this group and immediately place the "victim" on moderated status, until they are able to restore the integrity of their email.

              Please note, however: in case anyone thinks an invitation to link up on some social site etc is acceptable: it isn't.

              The only acceptable messages to this list are those that relate to the War of 1812 or the re-enacting of same... a rule that is sometimes broken, but one that I ask we all pay at least lip service to...

              Jim Yaworsky
              Moderator

              --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Windsor <kevin.windsor@...> wrote:

              > and I can vouch that Murph is no spammer!
              >
              > It was most likely LinkedIn went through his address book and sent a mass email out. He probably had Larry as a contact with this address.
              >
              > Kevin
              >

              > To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
              > From: memathews@...
              > Date: Wed, 18 May 2011 08:23:27 -0700
              > Subject: Re: 1812 Re: Invitation to connect on LinkedIn - BANNED
              >

              > I don't know James' intent, but LinkedIn is a legitimate professional networking
              > service. A "serious" Facebook if you will. He *might* have just been trying to
              > link with Larry and mistakenly responded to a saved message. I don't think
              > sending that message to the 1812 list wouldn't get a spammer's desired response.
              >
              > Michael
              >
              > ---------------------------------
              > No act of kindness, however small is ever wasted. -- Aesop

            • usmarine1814
              Message 6 of 6 , May 19, 2011
                Hello all
                As Jim's son I can say without hesitation it was not an intentional posting. All of us (family and friends) got this email from him. I am not even sure he knows this all happened. I will mention it to him the first opportunity I get.

                YHOS
                Colin Murphy
                USS CON 1812 MG
                USMCHC