RE: 1812 RE: "Captain Dick" Pierpoint

  • Ray Hobbs
    Message 1 of 3 , May 1, 2011
      As we have discussed many times before, this is an area of study which has not been fully investigated. "Stolen life" iis a disappointing work in that it has hardy any documentation to go on, and much of it is speculative. I have a list of the pensioners from Runchey's Coloured Corps, which would be a good starting place for research. Several of the men are listed as having deserted by the time the list was compiled. This removes some of the romanticism of the group. Some entered domestic service with prominent UC leaders - which raises the question of the nature of that service. I have seen it written, but without documentation, that several of the men acted as overseers of the Irish workmen on the building of the Welland Canal - something the Irish did not take very well.All in all, a great research topic, worthy of at least an MA thesis.Ray

      To: warof1812@yahoogroups.com
      From: petemonahan@...
      Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2011 18:54:26 +0000
      Subject: 1812 RE: "Captain Dick" Pierpoint

      There are a couple biographies of Richard Pierpoint, one of which is listed below and seemed quite good to me. I am lucky enough too to have a copy of a locally produced book, "Men of Colour", which outlines some of the history of the Oro Black Settlement. Oro Township, just north of Barrie, Ontario is the site of land grants given to some of the veterans of Runchie's / Runcey's Coloured Corps of Artificers. The settlement existed for a few decades only and the sole relic now is a small African Methodist church, but the veterans did report themselves ready for service again during the 1837 Rebellion and there are a few written records oftheir exploits inSimcoe County. Pierpoint visited them on a number of occasions, as a lay preacher, before settling down elsewhere.

      Peter Monahan

      Stolen Life: Searching For Richard Pierpoint

      Richard Pierpoint or Captain Dick, as he was commonly known, emerges from the shadows of history in this book. An African warrior who was captured at about age 16, Pierpoint lived his remaining years in exile. From his birth in Bundu (now part of Senegal) around 1744 until his death in rural Ontario in 1837, Pierpoint's life allows us to glimpse the activity of an African involved in some of the world's great events.