Blacks/Negros/Coloured Men in the War of 1812 (Book)

  • Kevin Holland
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 30, 2011
      Hello group,

      I recall a post from someone a couple of months back regarding information on Coloured troops/militia in the War of 1812.

      I recently came across this book on Amazon.ca

      http://tinyurl.com/stand-fight-together

      "To Stand and Fight Together: Richard Pierpoint and the Coloured Corps of Upper Canada" by Steve Pitt

      One of the reviews says, “To Stand and Fight Together is an excellent resource for young readers..." --so it might be a bit on the "Juvenile" side of the reading scale - still there could be some useful information within. But this is the first reference I've ever seen regarding Blacks in the War of 1812, so I thought I should share it.

      If anyone has other references on this subject, please share them. I'm interested in this topic also.

      Cheers,
      Kevin
    • peter monahan
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 30, 2011
        There are a couple biographies of Richard Pierpoint, one of which is listed below and seemed quite good to me. I am lucky enough too to have a copy of a locally produced book, "Men of Colour", which outlines some of the history of the Oro Black Settlement. Oro Township, just north of Barrie, Ontario is the site of land grants given to some of the veterans of Runchie's / Runcey's Coloured Corps of Artificers. The settlement existed for a few decades only and the sole relic now is a small African Methodist church, but the veterans did report themselves ready for service again during the 1837 Rebellion and there are a few written records oftheir exploits inSimcoe County. Pierpoint visited them on a number of occasions, as a lay preacher, before settling down elsewhere.

        Peter Monahan

        Stolen Life: Searching For Richard Pierpoint
        Richard Pierpoint or Captain Dick, as he was commonly known, emerges from the shadows of history in this book. An African warrior who was captured at about age 16, Pierpoint lived his remaining years in exile. From his birth in Bundu (now part of Senegal) around 1744 until his death in rural Ontario in 1837, Pierpoint's life allows us to glimpse the activity of an African involved in some of the world's great events.

      • Ray Hobbs