1812 war question

  • margerysharp
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 22, 2011
      Hello: You were recommended to me as a panel of experts on the war of 1812, and I hope you don't mind me joining you to ask a few questions. I am researching an ancestor who was listed on the 'Register of enlistments' document as 'U.S. Rifles', as enlisting under Captain Joseph Calhoun, but then serving under Captain Abraham Massias at Point Petre.

      My notes for Lewis Howland are as follows:
      from `U.S. Army, Register of Enlistments, 1798-1914 from ancestry.com:
      `M.R. June 30, and J.R. Capt. A.A. Massias Co., Point Petre, Sept. and Oct. 1814. Left hand amputated. J.R. Nov. (?)/14, Discharged Nov. 11/14, unfit for service. Discharged at Point Petre, Nov. 11/14, Disability. left hand amputated. See pension case. (Book 669, page 131)

      Enlistment date is June 30, 1813
      `Pvt' U.S. Rifles
      Personal description: 5'8", gray eyes, light hair, fair skin
      38 years old, carpenter
      discharged Nov. 11, 1814

      His land grant identifies him as `the said Lewis Howland, of Capt. Massias Co. of the 1st Regiment of Riflemen'.

      I would be very interested in any historical context to this data you could offer, as well as a few technical helps such as: what does 'M.R.' mean? And 'J.R' (Could that be 'joined regiment'?)

      Since Lewis Howland was 38 years old when he enlisted, for a five year term--I'm wondering, Was that an average age, or considered old (for the time).

      Also, is it possible to track down the cited pension case today, or are those records even available anymore?

      Any assistance in my research would be very much appreciated.
      Rebecca
    • Jeffrey Vaillant
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 22, 2011
        Rebecca

        Suggest you start at the National Archives: http://www.archives.gov/research/military/genealogy.html to find out about pensions and land documents. Personally my gg greatgrand aunt applied for a pension in 1890 for her father's service in the War of 1812 (he was regular army)....so keep digging---it is a lot of fun.

        Jeff

        "You have to do your own growing no matter how tall your grandfather was." - Abraham Lincoln

        To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 23, 2011
          Rebecca,

          Good morning,

          To aid you in your search:

          M.R. is Muster Roll
          It is I. R. not J. R. It means  Inspection Report.

          You may also run across the term SAMR: Semi Annual Muster Roll.

          38 is an average age.  The idea that all soldiers were  all 18-23 year old is incorrect.  When studying enlistment documents the ages will vary considerably.

          5' 8" is also a very average height.

          You may also want to search the National Archives for the Orderly Books of this particular company.  You can find the particular record group on line.  But, you will have to contact the Archives directly to see if said book is on microfilm at present.

          All the best,
          S.

        • Ray Hobbs
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 23, 2011
            The Internet Archive is also a very valuable resource for this kind of material. It has an enormous number of pages online, including several pension records of US soldiers from the War of 1812. These records can be downloaded, or read off the screen.Its URL is http://www.archive.org/ Rebecca, your ancestor might well be included.Have fun with it.Ray Hobbs41st Regt.

            To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 25, 2011
              http://www.century21.ca/Property/ON/L2G_6H4/NIAGARA_FALLS/BRIDGEWATER_ST
              REET/3800

              http://www.homesandland.com/Real_Estate/ON/City/Niagara_Falls/ListingId/
              15949087.html

              Only $544,900 to buy or $1500/month to lease. And I would assume more
              than a few heritage riders to go with it.

              Ian
            • JOHN GREIG
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 26, 2011
                Sorry but the links don't work here in England.
                Squire

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 26, 2011
                  If you copy and paste the full link, it should work. The word-wrap
                  function seems to have gotten the better of things in my original post.
                  Either that or the real estate agents are expecting North American trade
                  only. Bit limiting if that's the case, though'

                  Ian

                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 27, 2011
                    They don't bloody work in Ontario either! LOL

                    Sue Too

                    --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, JOHN GREIG <je.greig@...> wrote:

                    > Sorry but the links don't work here in England.
                    > Squire
                    >

                    > ________________________________
                    >
                    > http://www.century21.ca/Property/ON/L2G_6H4/NIAGARA_FALLS/BRIDGEWATER_ST
                    > REET/3800
                    >
                    > http://www.homesandland.com/Real_Estate/ON/City/Niagara_Falls/ListingId/
                    > 15949087.html
                    >
                    > Only $544,900 to buy or $1500/month to lease. And I would assume more
                    > than a few heritage riders to go with it.
                    >
                    > Ian

                  • Ian Gardner
                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 27, 2011
                      Here’s shortened bit.ly links to the two sites. This should get around
                      the wordwrap issue

                      http://bit.ly/Laura_Secord_Cottage

                      http://bit.ly/Laura_Secord_Cottage2

                      Ian

                      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com <mailto:WarOf1812%40yahoogroups.com> ,
                      JOHN GREIG <je.greig@...> wrote:

                      > Sorry but the links don't work here in England.
                      > Squire
                      >

                      > ________________________________

                      http://www.century21.ca/Property/ON/L2G_6H4/NIAGARA_FALLS/BRIDGEWATER_ST
                      > REET/3800

                      http://www.homesandland.com/Real_Estate/ON/City/Niagara_Falls/ListingId/
                      > 15949087.html
                      >
                      > Only $544,900 to buy or $1500/month to lease. And I would assume more
                      > than a few heritage riders to go with it.
                      >
                      > Ian

                    • Joseph
                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 28, 2011
                        This isn't "the" Laura Secord Cottage in Queenston, which is owned and operated by Niagara Parks. According to the description, this house in Chippawa was built in 1837. The fact that "Laura Secord" is in parentheses might be significant. Did Laura Secord sleep there?

                        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Ian Gardner" <igardner@...> wrote:

                        > Here's shortened bit.ly links to the two sites. This should get around
                        > the wordwrap issue
                        >
                        > http://bit.ly/Laura_Secord_Cottage
                        >
                        > http://bit.ly/Laura_Secord_Cottage2
                        >
                        > Ian

                      • Ian Gardner
                        Message 11 of 12 , Apr 28, 2011
                          The one in Queenston is the Laura Secord Homestead. The one for sale in
                          Chippewa is where she ended her days. More of the story here

                          http://bit.ly/j1cyse

                          Ian

                          "Ian Gardner" <igardner@...> wrote:

                          > Here's shortened bit.ly links to the two sites. This should get around
                          > the wordwrap issue
                          >
                          > http://bit.ly/Laura_Secord_Cottage
                          >
                          > http://bit.ly/Laura_Secord_Cottage2
                          >
                          > Ian