Barney's Bullet

  • usmarine1814
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 12, 2011
      Greeting all
      I just found online, a digitized book, with a picture of the ball received at Bladensburg taken from Barney's leg upon his death. The book states it is in the possession of his family. The book was published a as genealogical book by his family in 1912. Does anyone know if this bullet is still out there somewhere or even if the story is true?

      YHOS

      Colin Murphy
      USCON 1812 MG
      USMCHC
    • Ron
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 12, 2011
        I take it that this was Commodore Joshua Barney and not Fred Flintstone's best friend??

        Ron

      • Craig Williams
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 12, 2011
          Or the dreaded purple dinosaur?

          On 12-Apr-11, at 9:46 AM, Ron wrote:

          > I take it that this was Commodore Joshua Barney and not Fred
          > Flintstone's best friend??
          >
          > Ron

        • Tom Hurlbut
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 12, 2011
            "I hate you, you hate me,

            We're a dysfunctional family,

            And a shot rings out and Barney hits the floor,

            No more purple dinosaur."

            Oh I just KILL me!

            "Commander" Tom
          • peter monahan
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 12, 2011
              You guys need to get out more!

              Peter Monahan
              petemonahan@...
              705-435-0953h / 705-792-8995c

              > To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
              > From: hurlbut8646@...
              > Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2011 10:46:35 -0400
              > Subject: RE: 1812 Barney's Bullet
              >
              > "I hate you, you hate me,
              >
              > We're a dysfunctional family,
              >
              > And a shot rings out and Barney hits the floor,
              >
              > No more purple dinosaur."
              >

              > Oh I just KILL me!
              >
              > "Commander" Tom
              >

              > ------------------------------------
              >
              > War of 1812 Living History:
              > A wide-ranging information exchange
              > for all participants and supporters

              > Crown Forces Unit Listing:
              > http://1812crownforces.tripod.com
              > American Forces Unit Listing
              > http://usforces1812.tripod.com
              >
              > WAR OF 1812 EVENTS LIST:
              > 2010Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Tom Hurlbut
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 12, 2011
                Indeed..

                _____

                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 12, 2011
                  I can top this in terms of inappropriate variants, but some semblance of taste prevents me...

                  -- Sent from my Palm Pre
                  On Apr 12, 2011 10:56 AM, peter monahan <petemonahan@...> wrote:

                  You guys need to get out more!

                  Peter Monahan

                  petemonahan@...

                  705-435-0953h / 705-792-8995c

                  > To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com

                  > From: hurlbut8646@...

                  > Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2011 10:46:35 -0400

                  > Subject: RE: 1812 Barney's Bullet

                  > "I hate you, you hate me,

                  > We're a dysfunctional family,

                  > And a shot rings out and Barney hits the floor,

                  > No more purple dinosaur."

                  > Oh I just KILL me!

                  > "Commander" Tom

                  > ------------------------------------

                  > War of 1812 Living History:

                  > A wide-ranging information exchange

                  > for all participants and supporters

                  > Crown Forces Unit Listing:

                  > http://1812crownforces.tripod.com

                  > American Forces Unit Listing

                  > http://usforces1812.tripod.com

                  > WAR OF 1812 EVENTS LIST:

                  > 2010Yahoo! Groups Links

                • HAROLD DENNISON
                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 12, 2011
                    I'm not sure "that's" such a good idea!?!?    :)

                    Hal Dennison
                    www.JustDreamLife.com

                    > And a shot rings out and Barney hits the floor,
                    >
                    > No more purple dinosaur."
                    >

                    > Oh I just KILL me!
                    >
                    > "Commander" Tom
                    >

                    > ------------------------------------
                    >
                    > War of 1812 Living History:
                    > A wide-ranging information exchange
                    > for all participants and supporters

                    > Crown Forces Unit Listing:
                    > http://1812crownforces.tripod.com
                    > American Forces Unit Listing
                    > http://usforces1812.tripod.com
                    >
                    > WAR OF 1812 EVENTS LIST:
                    > 2010Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • whittakermp
                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 13, 2011
                      WTF! Is anyone going to address the question or did I miss something in the auditions for Yuk Yuk's?

                      This is Kedge's reply, not mine, but I do have respect for Joshua Barney, the USN, the Wooden World and artillery.

                      Michael
                    • Tom Hurlbut
                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 13, 2011
                        I do not have anything to offer Colin on the subject matter other than my
                        (thin) comedic material on the purple dinosaur.

                        I apologise for any insult, real or perceived, to a real war hero, Captain
                        Joshua Barney.

                        "Commander" Tom

                        _____

                        Message 11 of 16 , Apr 13, 2011
                          No insult taken here. I have thoroughly enjoyed the comedic entertainment, and camaraderie of yourself and many others in our fine little community over the past 13 years. Its the reason I have stuck around so long and will keep coming back for more....oh, and the history too.

                          YHOS
                          Colin Murphy
                          USS CON 1812 MG
                          USMCHC

                          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Hurlbut" <hurlbut8646@...> wrote:

                          > I do not have anything to offer Colin on the subject matter other than my
                          > (thin) comedic material on the purple dinosaur.
                          >

                          > I apologise for any insult, real or perceived, to a real war hero, Captain
                          > Joshua Barney.
                          >

                          > "Commander" Tom
                          >

                          > _____

                        • Tom Hurlbut
                          Message 12 of 16 , Apr 13, 2011
                            Sometimes, I am dazzled by my own wit.. (well, quite often, actually.. ;-)

                            Your question was a serious one and deserved a reply and that, I think, was
                            what Kedge was referring to (probably wants to know the answer himself!).

                            But I can offer no more than I have. Glad you found it entertaining.

                            Yours, Aye!

                            "Commander" Tom

                            _____

                            No insult taken here. I have thoroughly enjoyed the comedic entertainment,
                            and camaraderie of yourself and many others in our fine little community
                            over the past 13 years. Its the reason I have stuck around so long and will
                            keep coming back for more....oh, and the history too.

                            YHOS
                            Colin Murphy
                            USS CON 1812 MG
                            USMCHC

                            .

                            <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=38751/grpspId=1705767503/msgId=4
                            3696/stime=1302708652/nc1=3848614/nc2=5008816/nc3=4025373>

                          • whittakermp
                            Message 13 of 16 , Apr 14, 2011
                              "Commander" Tom

                              Fear not. I, too, would have popped that purple dinosaur, but yes, I am now curious about the bullet.

                              Cheers,
                              Michael
                            • Dr. Mike
                              Message 14 of 16 , Apr 14, 2011
                                If you can get you hands on a copy, pick up the
                                October 2010 issue of Naval History Magazine (Vol.24 No. 5) It has an article written by Lt. Col. Stephen Eden entitled "Commodore Barney at the Bladensburg Races" in the article it shows a picture of a locket that contains the bullet that allegedly ended Barney's life. It seems that when Barney bought the farm, they finally dug the bullet out of his thigh and had it mounted in a locket with the details engraved on the silver ring surrounding the bullet.

                                I don't remember if the article gave the location of the locket these days, but the article may give you a starting place to look.

                                M. Williams
                              • Charlie Quesenberry
                                Message 15 of 16 , Apr 14, 2011
                                  Sounds eerily similar to the story about Lord Nelson's demise and the ball
                                  removed & kept by his wife..

                                  On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 4:00 PM, Dr. Mike <mrwill@...> wrote:

                                  > If you can get you hands on a copy, pick up the
                                  > October 2010 issue of Naval History Magazine (Vol.24 No. 5) It has an
                                  > article written by Lt. Col. Stephen Eden entitled "Commodore Barney at the
                                  > Bladensburg Races" in the article it shows a picture of a locket that
                                  > contains the bullet that allegedly ended Barney's life. It seems that when
                                  > Barney bought the farm, they finally dug the bullet out of his thigh and had
                                  > it mounted in a locket with the details engraved on the silver ring
                                  > surrounding the bullet.
                                  >
                                  > I don't remember if the article gave the location of the locket these days,
                                  > but the article may give you a starting place to look.
                                  >
                                  > M. Williams

                                • whittakermp
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Apr 15, 2011
                                    With thanks!