War of 1812 Parade - Cheektowaga (Buffalo), NY June 2011

  • John Sek
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 6 6:05 PM
      Hello everyone,

      The Town of Cheektowaga, NY which is suburb of Buffalo has for the past 26 years held a parade in June commemorating the War of 1812. Their parade is pretty short, only about 1/4 mile and ends at the War of 1812 Cheektowaga. Dedication, gun salute and some speeches by the locals is the normal expectation. The cemetery holds only War of 1812 soldiers and was the site of an American hospital during the war. It is my understanding, that there is about 200 soldiers buried there, half American and the other half British/Canadian. All of the British forces soldiers are unknown, which the Town of Cheektowaga has tried unsuccessfully to identify. Regardless, all buried at the site receive some form of recognition for their service. For the British/Canadians buried there, the Canadian Council General who office is in Buffalo has been on hand, but that is it. No one else from Canada has officially attended since World War II. As an interesting bit of history, the Fort Erie Legion (Br. 71) presented a capture American 6 pounder from the War of 1812 in 1933. That gun is still proudly on display at the site. The Town of Cheektowaga, has asked me to improve on the Canadian presence for this year.

      In that regard, the following have indicated their intention to attend:

      The Royal Canadian Legion Br 230 (Ridgeway) will be providing a Colour Party.
      The Royal Canadian Legion Br. 160 (Hamilton) will send their pipe and drum unit
      The Royal Canadian Legion Br 51 (Niagara Falls) will attend.
      The Canadian Council General in Buffalo will again attend.
      The 2nd Lincoln Artillery will be attending and will fire a gun in salute.

      What I would like to see present are several other re-enactment units British (and American) who will agree to attend.

      We have also been asked to provide a formal presentation/dedication at the ceremony. I am also looking for commentaries on how to do this in keeping with appropriate period traditions if possible. I suspect laying of a reef may be more modern, but perhaps someone can comment.

      The date of this year's parade and ceremony is Sunday, June 12, 2011.

      After the ceremony all re-enactment units will be invited to the local American Legion for drinks and food as their guests.

      Please let me know if you are interested and can attend, and I will send off further details.

      Best regards,

      John Sek
      2nd Lincoln Artillery