Re: 1812 USF Constitution

  • charliequ2@gmail.com
    Message 1 of 22 , Apr 5, 2011
      Well said sir. Should we refrain on the quality & efficacy of those...?

      From: "Lee" <wartman@...>
      Sender: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2011 20:58:37
      To: <WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: Re: 1812 USF Constitution

      Dear list-

      In 1796, encouraged by Sir Gilbert Blane, a prominent naval surgeon, the Admiralty required in it's Regulations and Instructions Relating to his Majesty's Service at Sea that, "Lemon Juice at half an ounce per day with sugar at same amount to be allowed when on, or be proceeding to, foreign stations and to be mixed with grog or wine--BUT not while beer is being issued." This quote can be found on p. 40 of Nelson's Blood byJames Pack.

      Although any citrus would do, lemon juice was the most potent. However limes were less expensive and became the citrus of choice as time went by. I am sure that most of you know that this gave Brit sailors the nickname "Limey" that eventuated in the same word meaning any generic Brit.

      Take Care, Lee Davis,Surgeon, Royal Navy