Re: 1812 USF Constitution

  • Tim Pickles
    Message 1 of 22 , Apr 5, 2011
      Actually no Ann,s and lime lime juce were used as a preventitive for scurvy but not in grog.

      Message 2 of 22 , Apr 5, 2011
        that should have read

        limes and lime juce

        Actually no Ann,s and lime lime juce were used as a preventitive for scurvy but not in grog.

        As a textiles person, I appreciate that origin of the term. Am I remembering correctly that lime juice was also an essential ingredient of grog?

        Ann Wass

        Interesting that the US Navy refers to the drink as 'grog'. As you are probably aware this name derives from Vice Admiral Edward Vernon RN who introduced a measure of water into the rum ration in 1740. He commonly wore a grogram cloth coat and so was nicknamed old grogram or old grog. Nice that the most 'British' of US units also keeps up a British tradition.

        Aye

        ANN, We,the 1812 Marine Guard have the very extreme pleasure of participating each year in the celebration of the Ships Birthday every Oct.21st. The Marine Guard as part of the ships crew also receives our RUM ration. (Grog) We are the last and ONLY ship in the US NAVY to attend to the custom.

        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, annbwass@... wrote:

        > I had the honor to be part of the Fort McHenry contingent to the
        > Charlestown Navy Yard in 2000. We had the extreme privilege of a private tour of
        > the ship, as well as being on the USS J F Kennedy for the tall ship sail-by
        > (or whatever that is technically called.) We also did living history
        > interpretation at the Navy Yard while we there. It was definitely a
        > once-in-a-lifetime experience, all in all. Don't know that I will ever get to ride the
        > flight deck elevator on a carrier again, or see alcohol served on a US
        > Navy ship!
        >
        > Ann Wass
        >

        > In a message dated 3/30/2011 6:07:03 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
        > suthren@... writes:
        >

        > In 1992 I had the pleasure to sail into Boston harbour as crew in the
        > Canadian square-topsail schooner 'Pacific Swift', on a passage from
        > Baltimore to Halifax. We arrived at 'Constitution's' pier just as morning
        > Colors took place, and dipped our Canadian ensign to the grand old lady.
        > Her
        > crew could not have been finer hosts for tours, and it was a honor to go
        > below in such a storied ship of such importance to the USN. When we sailed
        > for Halifax we dipped ensign again and even fired a salute to her---with a
        > 10 gauge blank---but felt a much deeper sense of respect for her and her
        > huge, handsome ensign than our little gun displayed. A visit to her is
        > unforgettable, and should be a goal of every 1812 re-enactor, of whatever
        > national loyalty.
        >
        > Vic Suthren
        >
        > Canada

      • JOHN GREIG
        Message 3 of 22 , Apr 5, 2011
          Bad enough desecrating good rum with water.  But to add lime juice well !!!!!!!

          Bottoms Up.

          Squire

          ________________________________

        • annbwass@aol.com
          Message 4 of 22 , Apr 5, 2011
            A restaurant I used to frequent served a drink called "Navy grog" and it had lime juice. I know lime juice was a scurvy preventative, but I thought perhaps by adding it to the grog, you took care of several problems at once.

            Ann Wass

            Actually no Ann,s and lime lime juce were used as a preventitive for scurvy but not in grog.

            As a textiles person, I appreciate that origin of the term. Am I remembering correctly that lime juice was also an essential ingredient of grog?

            Ann Wass

            Interesting that the US Navy refers to the drink as 'grog'. As you are probably aware this name derives from Vice Admiral Edward Vernon RN who introduced a measure of water into the rum ration in 1740. He commonly wore a grogram cloth coat and so was nicknamed old grogram or old grog. Nice that the most 'British' of US units also keeps up a British tradition.

            Aye

            ANN, We,the 1812 Marine Guard have the very extreme pleasure of participating each year in the celebration of the Ships Birthday every Oct.21st. The Marine Guard as part of the ships crew also receives our RUM ration. (Grog) We are the last and ONLY ship in the US NAVY to attend to the custom.

            --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, annbwass@... wrote:

            > I had the honor to be part of the Fort McHenry contingent to the
            > Charlestown Navy Yard in 2000. We had the extreme privilege of a private tour of
            > the ship, as well as being on the USS J F Kennedy for the tall ship sail-by
            > (or whatever that is technically called.) We also did living history
            > interpretation at the Navy Yard while we there. It was definitely a
            > once-in-a-lifetime experience, all in all. Don't know that I will ever get to ride the
            > flight deck elevator on a carrier again, or see alcohol served on a US
            > Navy ship!
            >
            > Ann Wass
            >

            > In a message dated 3/30/2011 6:07:03 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
            > suthren@... writes:
            >

            > In 1992 I had the pleasure to sail into Boston harbour as crew in the
            > Canadian square-topsail schooner 'Pacific Swift', on a passage from
            > Baltimore to Halifax. We arrived at 'Constitution's' pier just as morning
            > Colors took place, and dipped our Canadian ensign to the grand old lady.
            > Her
            > crew could not have been finer hosts for tours, and it was a honor to go
            > below in such a storied ship of such importance to the USN. When we sailed
            > for Halifax we dipped ensign again and even fired a salute to her---with a
            > 10 gauge blank---but felt a much deeper sense of respect for her and her
            > huge, handsome ensign than our little gun displayed. A visit to her is
            > unforgettable, and should be a goal of every 1812 re-enactor, of whatever
            > national loyalty.
            >
            > Vic Suthren
            >
            > Canada

            =

          • Robert White
            Message 5 of 22 , Apr 5, 2011
              Actually, I think the recipe used on Constitution does include lime juice. I do
              know that the "grog" sold by Pusser's itself also contains lime juice as I
              bought some when visiting in Tortola where it is all produced. In fact met the
              owner there. Bob White, 1812 Marine Guard, USF Constitution.

              ________________________________
              Actually no Ann,s and lime lime juce were used as a preventitive for scurvy but
              not in grog.

              As a textiles person, I appreciate that origin of the term. Am I remembering
              correctly that lime juice was also an essential ingredient of grog?

              Ann Wass

              ANN, We,the 1812 Marine Guard have the very extreme pleasure of participating
              each year in the celebration of the Ships Birthday every Oct.21st. The Marine
              Guard as part of the ships crew also receives our RUM ration. (Grog) We are the
              last and ONLY ship in the US NAVY to attend to the custom.

              --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, annbwass@... wrote:

              > I had the honor to be part of the Fort McHenry contingent to the
              > Charlestown Navy Yard in 2000. We had the extreme privilege of a private tour
              >of
              >
              > the ship, as well as being on the USS J F Kennedy for the tall ship sail-by
              > (or whatever that is technically called.) We also did living history
              > interpretation at the Navy Yard while we there. It was definitely a
              > once-in-a-lifetime experience, all in all. Don't know that I will ever get to
              >ride the
              >
              > flight deck elevator on a carrier again, or see alcohol served on a US
              > Navy ship!
              >
              > Ann Wass
              >

              > In a message dated 3/30/2011 6:07:03 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
              > suthren@... writes:
              >

              > In 1992 I had the pleasure to sail into Boston harbour as crew in the
              > Canadian square-topsail schooner 'Pacific Swift', on a passage from
              > Baltimore to Halifax. We arrived at 'Constitution's' pier just as morning
              > Colors took place, and dipped our Canadian ensign to the grand old lady.
              > Her
              > crew could not have been finer hosts for tours, and it was a honor to go
              > below in such a storied ship of such importance to the USN. When we sailed
              > for Halifax we dipped ensign again and even fired a salute to her---with a
              > 10 gauge blank---but felt a much deeper sense of respect for her and her
              > huge, handsome ensign than our little gun displayed. A visit to her is
              > unforgettable, and should be a goal of every 1812 re-enactor, of whatever
              > national loyalty.
              >
              > Vic Suthren
              >
              > Canada

            • Lee
              Message 6 of 22 , Apr 5, 2011
                Dear list-

                In 1796, encouraged by Sir Gilbert Blane, a prominent naval surgeon, the Admiralty required in it's Regulations and Instructions Relating to his Majesty's Service at Sea that, "Lemon Juice at half an ounce per day with sugar at same amount to be allowed when on, or be proceeding to, foreign stations and to be mixed with grog or wine--BUT not while beer is being issued." This quote can be found on p. 40 of Nelson's Blood byJames Pack.

                Although any citrus would do, lemon juice was the most potent. However limes were less expensive and became the citrus of choice as time went by. I am sure that most of you know that this gave Brit sailors the nickname "Limey" that eventuated in the same word meaning any generic Brit.

                Take Care, Lee Davis,Surgeon, Royal Navy
              • charliequ2@gmail.com
                Message 7 of 22 , Apr 5, 2011
                  Well said sir. Should we refrain on the quality & efficacy of those...?