Fort Meigs "Arming the Army" program April 9

  • James Yaworsky
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 2, 2011
      Contact:
      Rick Finch, 419-874-4121 or 800-283-8916
      rfinch@ohiohistory .org

      News from Fort Meigs

      For Immediate Release: 04/2/2011

      "Arming the Army"

      Hands-on History Saturday at Fort Meigs

      April 9th

      PERRYBURG, Ohio- Join us on Saturday, April 9th for our Hands-on History Saturday program. Come out for a fun day of hands-on activities for the kids. Drill with War of 1812 soldiers, make a candy cartridge, and learn about what it takes to load and fire a musket. The program runs 1:00 – 4:00 p.m. and is included in your regular admission price.

      The fort is now open for the season. Regular hours are Wednesday – Saturday from

      9:30 – 5:00 p.m. and Sunday from Noon – 5:00 p.m.

      Fort Meigs, the largest reconstructed, wooden-walled fort in the country, is located one mile west of downtown Perrysburg on W. River Road (S.R. 65). For more information on this event or all of the other events at this National Historic Landmark, visit us on-line at www.fortmeigs.org or call 800-283-8916
    • Lola DeGroff
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 2, 2011
        OK, I'll bite.  How do you make a candy cartridge?  Lola

        "Arming the Army"

        Hands-on History Saturday at Fort Meigs

        April 9th

        PERRYBURG, Ohio- Join us on Saturday, April 9th for our Hands-on History
        Saturday program. Come out for a fun day of hands-on activities for the kids.
        Drill with War of 1812 soldiers, make a candy cartridge, [snip]
      • CyrusWakefield.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 2, 2011
          Lola:

          I don't know how "Fort Meigs" makes a candy cartridge, but we make something like two hundred thousand of them a year. Our Cartridge Candy is a facsimile black powder musket cartridge filled with fruit flavoured candy powder and a gum ball, which is so much better for you than black powder and lead ball, when you pour it down your muzzle. But in deference to the dental plan, we don't encourage pint-sized pioneers to bite the ends off. See my video on the subject at www.cyruswakefield.com

          Sutler Cyrus