Re: 1812 USF Constitution

  • Terry
    Message 1 of 22 , Apr 1, 2011
      Bob,
      Could you answer a question about the USF Constitution? I've always wondered if all the guns on her are the real deal or due to weight and stress on the ship most are quakers?

      I know the Victory has 'artificial' guns on her due to the stress of weight.

      Regards,

      Terry
    • usmarine1814
      Message 2 of 22 , Apr 2, 2011
        Terry,
        Bob may confirm or not, but I believe that all the guns are made of Iron (long guns and carronades). I have taken part in the moving of the 24s on the gun deck and it took 12 of us to make headway. They are "Quakers" in the sense that they are not working guns as there are no vents to the breech. However the two mosdt forward guns on each side of the gun deck are modern day 3in guns (i believe) encased within a fiberglass body of a 24 pounder. They can be loaded and fired through the breech for firing the salutes. As seen in the group picture.
        YHOS
        Colin Murphy
        USS CON 1812 MG
        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Terry" <tlubka@...> wrote:

        > Bob,
        > Could you answer a question about the USF Constitution? I've always wondered if all the guns on her are the real deal or due to weight and stress on the ship most are quakers?
        >
        > I know the Victory has 'artificial' guns on her due to the stress of weight.
        >

        > Regards,
        >
        > Terry

      • Robert White
        Message 3 of 22 , Apr 4, 2011
          Well, it depends on what you mean by the "real deal". None of Constitution's
          guns are her original guns. All are replicas. But none are "quakers". The 24
          pounders average about 6 tons a piece and the 32 pound smashers (carronades)
          about 3 to 4 tons each. The only sacrifice to historical accuracy are the two
          forward 24 pounders on the gun deck one on the port and one on the starboard
          side which are actually modified to breech loaders which fire a shell. These
          two guns firing from alternating sides are what are used to fire the gun
          salutes. On each trip we generally fire a 21 gun salute opposite Fort
          Independence in the harbor saluting the United States and then closer to where
          we dock parallel to where the Statehouse is located inland and actually fairly
          close to where she was launched we fire a 19 gun salute to the Commonwealth of
          Massachusetts. Constitution is a rated 44 but normally carried a compliment of
          55 guns. No problems on weight and stress due to her design and contrary to
          another post due to her lack of "rot". Great book with all kinds of specs etc.
          written by a former commanding officer is "A Most Fortunate Ship".

          Bob White, 1812 Marine Guard, USF Constitution.

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 22 , Apr 4, 2011
            ANN, We,the 1812 Marine Guard have the very extreme pleasure of participating each year in the celebration of the Ships Birthday every Oct.21st. The Marine Guard as part of the ships crew also receives our RUM ration. (Grog) We are the last and ONLY ship in the US NAVY to attend to the custom.

            --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, annbwass@... wrote:

            > I had the honor to be part of the Fort McHenry contingent to the
            > Charlestown Navy Yard in 2000. We had the extreme privilege of a private tour of
            > the ship, as well as being on the USS J F Kennedy for the tall ship sail-by
            > (or whatever that is technically called.) We also did living history
            > interpretation at the Navy Yard while we there. It was definitely a
            > once-in-a-lifetime experience, all in all. Don't know that I will ever get to ride the
            > flight deck elevator on a carrier again, or see alcohol served on a US
            > Navy ship!
            >
            > Ann Wass
            >

            > In a message dated 3/30/2011 6:07:03 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
            > suthren@... writes:
            >

            > In 1992 I had the pleasure to sail into Boston harbour as crew in the
            > Canadian square-topsail schooner 'Pacific Swift', on a passage from
            > Baltimore to Halifax. We arrived at 'Constitution's' pier just as morning
            > Colors took place, and dipped our Canadian ensign to the grand old lady.
            > Her
            > crew could not have been finer hosts for tours, and it was a honor to go
            > below in such a storied ship of such importance to the USN. When we sailed
            > for Halifax we dipped ensign again and even fired a salute to her---with a
            > 10 gauge blank---but felt a much deeper sense of respect for her and her
            > huge, handsome ensign than our little gun displayed. A visit to her is
            > unforgettable, and should be a goal of every 1812 re-enactor, of whatever
            > national loyalty.
            >
            > Vic Suthren
            >
            > Canada

          • Tim Pickles
            Message 5 of 22 , Apr 5, 2011
              Interesting that the US Navy refers to the drink as 'grog'. As you are probably aware this name derives from Vice Admiral Edward Vernon RN who introduced a measure of water into the rum ration in 1740. He commonly wore a grogram cloth coat and so was nicknamed old grogram or old grog. Nice that the most 'British' of US units also keeps up a British tradition.

              Aye

            • annbwass@aol.com
              Message 6 of 22 , Apr 5, 2011
                As a textiles person, I appreciate that origin of the term. Am I remembering correctly that lime juice was also an essential ingredient of grog?

                Ann Wass

                Interesting that the US Navy refers to the drink as 'grog'. As you are probably aware this name derives from Vice Admiral Edward Vernon RN who introduced a measure of water into the rum ration in 1740. He commonly wore a grogram cloth coat and so was nicknamed old grogram or old grog. Nice that the most 'British' of US units also keeps up a British tradition.

                Aye

                ANN, We,the 1812 Marine Guard have the very extreme pleasure of participating each year in the celebration of the Ships Birthday every Oct.21st. The Marine Guard as part of the ships crew also receives our RUM ration. (Grog) We are the last and ONLY ship in the US NAVY to attend to the custom.

                --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, annbwass@... wrote:

                > I had the honor to be part of the Fort McHenry contingent to the
                > Charlestown Navy Yard in 2000. We had the extreme privilege of a private tour of
                > the ship, as well as being on the USS J F Kennedy for the tall ship sail-by
                > (or whatever that is technically called.) We also did living history
                > interpretation at the Navy Yard while we there. It was definitely a
                > once-in-a-lifetime experience, all in all. Don't know that I will ever get to ride the
                > flight deck elevator on a carrier again, or see alcohol served on a US
                > Navy ship!
                >
                > Ann Wass
                >

                > In a message dated 3/30/2011 6:07:03 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                > suthren@... writes:
                >

                > In 1992 I had the pleasure to sail into Boston harbour as crew in the
                > Canadian square-topsail schooner 'Pacific Swift', on a passage from
                > Baltimore to Halifax. We arrived at 'Constitution's' pier just as morning
                > Colors took place, and dipped our Canadian ensign to the grand old lady.
                > Her
                > crew could not have been finer hosts for tours, and it was a honor to go
                > below in such a storied ship of such importance to the USN. When we sailed
                > for Halifax we dipped ensign again and even fired a salute to her---with a
                > 10 gauge blank---but felt a much deeper sense of respect for her and her
                > huge, handsome ensign than our little gun displayed. A visit to her is
                > unforgettable, and should be a goal of every 1812 re-enactor, of whatever
                > national loyalty.
                >
                > Vic Suthren
                >
                > Canada

              • Tim Pickles
                Message 7 of 22 , Apr 5, 2011
                  Actually no Ann,s and lime lime juce were used as a preventitive for scurvy but not in grog.

                  As a textiles person, I appreciate that origin of the term. Am I remembering correctly that lime juice was also an essential ingredient of grog?

                  Ann Wass

                  Interesting that the US Navy refers to the drink as 'grog'. As you are probably aware this name derives from Vice Admiral Edward Vernon RN who introduced a measure of water into the rum ration in 1740. He commonly wore a grogram cloth coat and so was nicknamed old grogram or old grog. Nice that the most 'British' of US units also keeps up a British tradition.

                  Aye

                  ANN, We,the 1812 Marine Guard have the very extreme pleasure of participating each year in the celebration of the Ships Birthday every Oct.21st. The Marine Guard as part of the ships crew also receives our RUM ration. (Grog) We are the last and ONLY ship in the US NAVY to attend to the custom.

                  --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, annbwass@... wrote:

                  > I had the honor to be part of the Fort McHenry contingent to the
                  > Charlestown Navy Yard in 2000. We had the extreme privilege of a private tour of
                  > the ship, as well as being on the USS J F Kennedy for the tall ship sail-by
                  > (or whatever that is technically called.) We also did living history
                  > interpretation at the Navy Yard while we there. It was definitely a
                  > once-in-a-lifetime experience, all in all. Don't know that I will ever get to ride the
                  > flight deck elevator on a carrier again, or see alcohol served on a US
                  > Navy ship!
                  >
                  > Ann Wass
                  >

                  > In a message dated 3/30/2011 6:07:03 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                  > suthren@... writes:
                  >

                  > In 1992 I had the pleasure to sail into Boston harbour as crew in the
                  > Canadian square-topsail schooner 'Pacific Swift', on a passage from
                  > Baltimore to Halifax. We arrived at 'Constitution's' pier just as morning
                  > Colors took place, and dipped our Canadian ensign to the grand old lady.
                  > Her
                  > crew could not have been finer hosts for tours, and it was a honor to go
                  > below in such a storied ship of such importance to the USN. When we sailed
                  > for Halifax we dipped ensign again and even fired a salute to her---with a
                  > 10 gauge blank---but felt a much deeper sense of respect for her and her
                  > huge, handsome ensign than our little gun displayed. A visit to her is
                  > unforgettable, and should be a goal of every 1812 re-enactor, of whatever
                  > national loyalty.
                  >
                  > Vic Suthren
                  >
                  > Canada

                • Tim Pickles
                  Message 8 of 22 , Apr 5, 2011
                    that should have read

                    limes and lime juce

                    Actually no Ann,s and lime lime juce were used as a preventitive for scurvy but not in grog.

                    As a textiles person, I appreciate that origin of the term. Am I remembering correctly that lime juice was also an essential ingredient of grog?

                    Ann Wass

                    Interesting that the US Navy refers to the drink as 'grog'. As you are probably aware this name derives from Vice Admiral Edward Vernon RN who introduced a measure of water into the rum ration in 1740. He commonly wore a grogram cloth coat and so was nicknamed old grogram or old grog. Nice that the most 'British' of US units also keeps up a British tradition.

                    Aye

                    ANN, We,the 1812 Marine Guard have the very extreme pleasure of participating each year in the celebration of the Ships Birthday every Oct.21st. The Marine Guard as part of the ships crew also receives our RUM ration. (Grog) We are the last and ONLY ship in the US NAVY to attend to the custom.

                    --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, annbwass@... wrote:

                    > I had the honor to be part of the Fort McHenry contingent to the
                    > Charlestown Navy Yard in 2000. We had the extreme privilege of a private tour of
                    > the ship, as well as being on the USS J F Kennedy for the tall ship sail-by
                    > (or whatever that is technically called.) We also did living history
                    > interpretation at the Navy Yard while we there. It was definitely a
                    > once-in-a-lifetime experience, all in all. Don't know that I will ever get to ride the
                    > flight deck elevator on a carrier again, or see alcohol served on a US
                    > Navy ship!
                    >
                    > Ann Wass
                    >

                    > In a message dated 3/30/2011 6:07:03 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                    > suthren@... writes:
                    >

                    > In 1992 I had the pleasure to sail into Boston harbour as crew in the
                    > Canadian square-topsail schooner 'Pacific Swift', on a passage from
                    > Baltimore to Halifax. We arrived at 'Constitution's' pier just as morning
                    > Colors took place, and dipped our Canadian ensign to the grand old lady.
                    > Her
                    > crew could not have been finer hosts for tours, and it was a honor to go
                    > below in such a storied ship of such importance to the USN. When we sailed
                    > for Halifax we dipped ensign again and even fired a salute to her---with a
                    > 10 gauge blank---but felt a much deeper sense of respect for her and her
                    > huge, handsome ensign than our little gun displayed. A visit to her is
                    > unforgettable, and should be a goal of every 1812 re-enactor, of whatever
                    > national loyalty.
                    >
                    > Vic Suthren
                    >
                    > Canada

                  • JOHN GREIG
                    Message 9 of 22 , Apr 5, 2011
                      Bad enough desecrating good rum with water.  But to add lime juice well !!!!!!!

                      Bottoms Up.

                      Squire

                      ________________________________

                    • annbwass@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 22 , Apr 5, 2011
                        A restaurant I used to frequent served a drink called "Navy grog" and it had lime juice. I know lime juice was a scurvy preventative, but I thought perhaps by adding it to the grog, you took care of several problems at once.

                        Ann Wass

                        Actually no Ann,s and lime lime juce were used as a preventitive for scurvy but not in grog.

                        As a textiles person, I appreciate that origin of the term. Am I remembering correctly that lime juice was also an essential ingredient of grog?

                        Ann Wass

                        Interesting that the US Navy refers to the drink as 'grog'. As you are probably aware this name derives from Vice Admiral Edward Vernon RN who introduced a measure of water into the rum ration in 1740. He commonly wore a grogram cloth coat and so was nicknamed old grogram or old grog. Nice that the most 'British' of US units also keeps up a British tradition.

                        Aye

                        ANN, We,the 1812 Marine Guard have the very extreme pleasure of participating each year in the celebration of the Ships Birthday every Oct.21st. The Marine Guard as part of the ships crew also receives our RUM ration. (Grog) We are the last and ONLY ship in the US NAVY to attend to the custom.

                        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, annbwass@... wrote:

                        > I had the honor to be part of the Fort McHenry contingent to the
                        > Charlestown Navy Yard in 2000. We had the extreme privilege of a private tour of
                        > the ship, as well as being on the USS J F Kennedy for the tall ship sail-by
                        > (or whatever that is technically called.) We also did living history
                        > interpretation at the Navy Yard while we there. It was definitely a
                        > once-in-a-lifetime experience, all in all. Don't know that I will ever get to ride the
                        > flight deck elevator on a carrier again, or see alcohol served on a US
                        > Navy ship!
                        >
                        > Ann Wass
                        >

                        > In a message dated 3/30/2011 6:07:03 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                        > suthren@... writes:
                        >

                        > In 1992 I had the pleasure to sail into Boston harbour as crew in the
                        > Canadian square-topsail schooner 'Pacific Swift', on a passage from
                        > Baltimore to Halifax. We arrived at 'Constitution's' pier just as morning
                        > Colors took place, and dipped our Canadian ensign to the grand old lady.
                        > Her
                        > crew could not have been finer hosts for tours, and it was a honor to go
                        > below in such a storied ship of such importance to the USN. When we sailed
                        > for Halifax we dipped ensign again and even fired a salute to her---with a
                        > 10 gauge blank---but felt a much deeper sense of respect for her and her
                        > huge, handsome ensign than our little gun displayed. A visit to her is
                        > unforgettable, and should be a goal of every 1812 re-enactor, of whatever
                        > national loyalty.
                        >
                        > Vic Suthren
                        >
                        > Canada

                        =

                      • Robert White
                        Message 11 of 22 , Apr 5, 2011
                          Actually, I think the recipe used on Constitution does include lime juice. I do
                          know that the "grog" sold by Pusser's itself also contains lime juice as I
                          bought some when visiting in Tortola where it is all produced. In fact met the
                          owner there. Bob White, 1812 Marine Guard, USF Constitution.

                          ________________________________
                          Actually no Ann,s and lime lime juce were used as a preventitive for scurvy but
                          not in grog.

                          As a textiles person, I appreciate that origin of the term. Am I remembering
                          correctly that lime juice was also an essential ingredient of grog?

                          Ann Wass

                          ANN, We,the 1812 Marine Guard have the very extreme pleasure of participating
                          each year in the celebration of the Ships Birthday every Oct.21st. The Marine
                          Guard as part of the ships crew also receives our RUM ration. (Grog) We are the
                          last and ONLY ship in the US NAVY to attend to the custom.

                          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, annbwass@... wrote:

                          > I had the honor to be part of the Fort McHenry contingent to the
                          > Charlestown Navy Yard in 2000. We had the extreme privilege of a private tour
                          >of
                          >
                          > the ship, as well as being on the USS J F Kennedy for the tall ship sail-by
                          > (or whatever that is technically called.) We also did living history
                          > interpretation at the Navy Yard while we there. It was definitely a
                          > once-in-a-lifetime experience, all in all. Don't know that I will ever get to
                          >ride the
                          >
                          > flight deck elevator on a carrier again, or see alcohol served on a US
                          > Navy ship!
                          >
                          > Ann Wass
                          >

                          > In a message dated 3/30/2011 6:07:03 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                          > suthren@... writes:
                          >

                          > In 1992 I had the pleasure to sail into Boston harbour as crew in the
                          > Canadian square-topsail schooner 'Pacific Swift', on a passage from
                          > Baltimore to Halifax. We arrived at 'Constitution's' pier just as morning
                          > Colors took place, and dipped our Canadian ensign to the grand old lady.
                          > Her
                          > crew could not have been finer hosts for tours, and it was a honor to go
                          > below in such a storied ship of such importance to the USN. When we sailed
                          > for Halifax we dipped ensign again and even fired a salute to her---with a
                          > 10 gauge blank---but felt a much deeper sense of respect for her and her
                          > huge, handsome ensign than our little gun displayed. A visit to her is
                          > unforgettable, and should be a goal of every 1812 re-enactor, of whatever
                          > national loyalty.
                          >
                          > Vic Suthren
                          >
                          > Canada

                        • Lee
                          Message 12 of 22 , Apr 5, 2011
                            Dear list-

                            In 1796, encouraged by Sir Gilbert Blane, a prominent naval surgeon, the Admiralty required in it's Regulations and Instructions Relating to his Majesty's Service at Sea that, "Lemon Juice at half an ounce per day with sugar at same amount to be allowed when on, or be proceeding to, foreign stations and to be mixed with grog or wine--BUT not while beer is being issued." This quote can be found on p. 40 of Nelson's Blood byJames Pack.

                            Although any citrus would do, lemon juice was the most potent. However limes were less expensive and became the citrus of choice as time went by. I am sure that most of you know that this gave Brit sailors the nickname "Limey" that eventuated in the same word meaning any generic Brit.

                            Take Care, Lee Davis,Surgeon, Royal Navy
                          • charliequ2@gmail.com
                            Message 13 of 22 , Apr 5, 2011
                              Well said sir. Should we refrain on the quality & efficacy of those...?