Re: 1812 U.S.S. Constitution

  • jmgallen@juno.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 16, 2011
      First of all I apologize for calling you sailors!
      Thanks to both of you for your suggestions. I will be in Boston over the first weekend in April along with my wife and daughter. I will spend some time at a conference but they will be touring and I hope to join them in the afternoons. We will try to get to Old Ironsides if possible. If we do get there is there a chance to meet and say hello?
      My g-g-grandfather claimed to have been a crew member of the Constitution during the Mexican War, although I think that it was on a European tour at that time. I have an unsigned carbon copy of the letter from the Asst. Secretary of the Navy, F. D. Roosevelt, saying that they have no records of who was in the Navy at that time.
      Isn't the U.S.S. Joseph P. Kennedy nearby? One think Ike is what I guess are old dry docks. They are the only public works project I have ever seen with John Quincy Adams' name on it.
      Jim Gallen

      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 19, 2011
        Both Privates gave excel.info.
        There was a POW camp in Pittsfild Ma. Where the Canadians where housed. They where allowed to remain in the unguarded barracks so long as they agreed not to try and escape. Several took up jobs in the local area. The Col. was allowed to come and go as he pleased.He was also assigned a stewart.
        Of course there where those Canadians who tried to escape. They where placed in a stockade with armed guards untill they decided they would not run again.You know some did.

      • HQ93rd@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 20, 2011
          Here is info on the upcoming Nap War event in Anza, CA (The annual Grand Tactique this year) for any interested:
          http://www.brigade-napoleon.org/events/Anza%20faq.htm
          http://www.brigade-napoleon.org/events/pdfwaiver11.pdf

          Cheers!

          93rd SHRoFLHU