Re: 1812 U.S. losing battle of funds - article

  • Ron
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 6, 2011
      Kevin,

      Federal bucks have been spent for exhibits, additions and visitor centres at War of 1812 related placest speficall to prepare for the bicentennial : Fort George, Brocks Monument, Fort Mississauga, Fort St Joseph, Fort Malden, Fort Wellington, Fort Lennox, Fort Chambly, St Andrews Blockhouse, Lundy's Lane, Fort Erie, Laura Secord House, McFarland House, etc. Its actually around $40 million so far spent on or committed to infrastructure improvement. More will likely be forthcoming for web-based products, such as Archives documents on line, travelling exhibits and special events. Very little of this money would have been commmitted if it had not been for the bicentennial. The surest way to kill the potential for additional funding is to ignore or belittle the money that has already been spent on that initiative.

      Ron
      =

    • spikeyj
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 6, 2011
        On Sun, 06 Mar 2011 14:40:55 -0500
        Ron <ronaldjdale@...> wrote:

        > Kevin,
        >
        > Federal bucks have been spent for exhibits, additions and
        > visitor centres at War of 1812 related placest speficall
        > to prepare for the bicentennial : Fort George, Brocks
        > Monument, Fort Mississauga, Fort St Joseph, Fort Malden,
        > Fort Wellington, Fort Lennox, Fort Chambly, St Andrews
        > Blockhouse, Lundy's Lane, Fort Erie, Laura Secord House,
        > McFarland House, etc. Its actually around $40 million
        > so far spent on or committed to infrastructure
        > improvement. More will likely be forthcoming for
        > web-based products, such as Archives documents on line,
        > travelling exhibits and special events. Very little of
        > this money would have been commmitted if it had not been
        > for the bicentennial. The surest way to kill the
        > potential for additional funding is to ignore or belittle
        > the money that has already been spent on that initiative.

        But by limiting its scope to just New York State, the
        author is doing the same thing in the other direction --
        ignoring things like the new visitor centre opened at Fort
        McHenry just this week.

        Spike Y Jones
      • Kevin Windsor
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 6, 2011
          In no way am I belittling the $$ that was given to me to build a new
          visitors centre! However, the article is stating that this $ was part of a
          bicentennial initiative and that the US is somehow behind on things!

          That $ was given to us because the timing was right, but if it was 2016 that
          $ could have gone to roads and sewers.

          So while I appreciate what the provincial and federal gov't have done, the
          US are not losing here! They may need to "think out of the box" and not
          just ask for $ for the bicentennial, but to re-think other programmes.

          So I think the best thing we can do for them is to call it what it is!

          KW

[...]

          _,_._,___

        • daniel schroth
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 7, 2011
            Greetings All!
            In the actual period, the US was not too supportive of the War.  The British  were fighting to stop invasion of their country. Has time really changed things? Kudos to the Canadian Government for their support of History.  Most Americans just forget. God Save the United States & Our friends in Canada!