Re: [WarOf1812] Role of french canadians during the war

  • Richard Johns
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 5, 2011
      Ray

      Thank you so much, that is great information and much appreciated.  The hat
      detail is especially welcome and will allow the unit to grace my wargames table
      in due course.

      Best regards

      Richard

      ________________________________
      From: ruyourboat@...
      Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2011 11:46:10 +0000

            Hi Ray

      Thanks for this post.  You tantalisingly talk of havi9ng the same uniform as the
      Provinical Light Dragoons of Upper Canada...other than blue coats do you have
      any more detail on these guys (Merritt's troop) please?

      Thanks Ru

      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, <ray.hobbs@...> wrote:

      > In addition to the Infantry regiments listed by Vic, do not forget the Canadian
      >Light Dragoons
      >

      > (Coleman's Troop), which was raised in Montreal in early 1813, and was stood
      >down in late 1815, early
      >

      > 1816.

      > Although raised by an "anglo", the unit was about 50% French Canadian, and
      >served well in the
      >

      > defence of Upper Canada throughout the war. Several members were captured at
      >Moraviantown, and
      >

      > about half of those captured died in captivity.

      > Unfortunately, because of the almost identical uniforms to the Provincial Light
      >edragoons of Upper
      >

      > Canada, the CLD are often confused with them, even in official records.

      > Coleman raised the unit (and paid for much of their kit himself) by using as
      >his core some troops from
      >

      > the Royal Mounted Veterans - veteran British cavalry troopers who had settled
      >in the Canadas. This
      >

      > gave him a very solid base on which to build.

      > Of interest - after the war, partly because of ongoing political squabbles,
      >Coleman settled in Beleville,
      >

      > Upper Canada, and became a prominent politician in the region. His senior
      >lieutenant, Benjamin
      >

      > Holmes, went on to become a very important Quebec businessman, and one of the
      >founders of the
      >

      > Bank of Montreal.

      > Ain't history grand

      > Ray Hobbs

      > Sometimes a.k.a - as in the Crown Forces Mess, Capt. Coleman.

      ------------------------------------

        War of 1812 Living History:
      A wide-ranging information exchange
      for all participants and supporters

        Crown Forces Unit Listing:
              http://1812crownforces.tripod.com
        American Forces Unit Listing
              http://usforces1812.tripod.com

      WAR OF 1812 EVENTS LIST:
      2010Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Ray Hobbs
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 7, 2011
        Thank you, Sarah. I am aware of the change. For "Ru's" inquiry I simply cut and pasted from Homfrey's section on uniforms - a little outdated, but it provided all the information needed.RegardsRay

        To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
        From: recce40@...
        Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2011 18:48:29 +0000
        Subject: 1812 Re: Role of french canadians during the war

        Just an update, Ray.

        C.703 is now known as Record Group (RG)8-I "C-Series", vol. 703 (Reel number C-3236). This may be ordered through interlibrary loan from Library and Archives Canada.

        Cheers,

        Sarah