U.S. losing battle of funds - article

  • westhouse03
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 5, 2011
      An article from the Niagara Gazette, Feb. 28, 2011
      http://niagara-gazette.com/local/x1709534629/U-S-losing-battle-of-funds-in-War-of-1812-celebration

      Dave.

      U.S. losing battle of funds in War of 1812 celebration
      While Canadian celebration efforts flourish, U.S. struggling to find money

      By Don Glynn Niagara Gazette The Niagara Gazette Mon Feb 28, 2011, 12:24 AM EST

      NIAGARA FALLS — Ambitious planning is under way along both sides of the U.S.-Canada border to mark the bicentennial of the War of 1812.

      At this stage, however, it's strictly an uphill struggle for the Americans to come up with their share of the funding.

      To date, Canada — at the provincial and federal levels —has been eyeing an expenditure of nearly $30 million — in the Niagara Region, encompassing Niagara Falls, Ont., St. Catharines, Fort Erie, Thorold and Port Colborne, the figure exceeds $19 million.

      Meanwhile on this side of the river, the scene of numerous battles during the three-year war, the grand total is a $10,000 donation from the Niagara County Legislature.

      Careful not to demean the county lawmakers' contribution, Brian E. Merrett, chief executive officer of the Niagara 1812 Bicentennial Legacy Council, said, "It's a good start and it sends a positive message."

      Other upstate communities that had definitive roles in the war (e.g. Sackets Harbor, Oswego and Plattsburgh) have been generally low-key about their financial commitments to the event envisioned as an ideal chance to boost tourism across the Empire State.

      A major jolt to early planning was former Gov. David Paterson's veto of a bill to create a War of 1812 Commission that would have undoubtedly opened doors to vital funding sources.

      Faced with that lack of funds, more than 30 historians, re-enactors and educators met in Albany earlier this year to discuss what steps are needed for the 2010 event to succeed.

      Kelly Jordal of the Oswego County Office of Community Development, Tourism and Planning, said the group knew that without a state commission, they needed to band together to ensure an appropriate tribute.

      Fort Ontario Site Manager Paul Lear said Oswego County plans a daylong symposium April 2 to discuss that county's role in the War of 1812.

      Lear said Lake Ontario (Fort Niagara), the Niagara Frontier and Plattsburgh-Lake Champlain areas were key locations in the war.

      "Whoever controlled Lake Ontario had control of the war," Lear explained.

      While the Niagara border set the stage for many dramatic episodes, the War of 1812 was triggered by events on the high seas, with the British stopping U.S. ships and forcing their sailors to serve with the Royal Navy.

      At the same time, the British blockade of enemy ports proved a heavy loss of U.S. trade.

      Merrett, a former Niagara Falls, Ont., alderman who later served as chair of the Niagara Regional Council for six years, has been active in government and civic affairs since 1978.

      He also was chairman of the Niagara Parks Commission from 1997 to 2003.
    • Kevin Windsor
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 6, 2011
        This is actually VERY misleading!

        In terms of $$ set aside for the bicentennial there hasn't been any
        announced yet (well ok there was $40,000 announced but for marketing), so
        the US is winning!

        All of that $$ is infrastructure $$ from Gov't stimulus and not directly
        related to the bicentennial. So while we have been luck that we have been
        able to use Canada Action plan $$ on the bicentennial, it has not been set
        aside for it!!

        Kevin

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 6, 2011
          Kevin,

          Federal bucks have been spent for exhibits, additions and visitor centres at War of 1812 related placest speficall to prepare for the bicentennial : Fort George, Brocks Monument, Fort Mississauga, Fort St Joseph, Fort Malden, Fort Wellington, Fort Lennox, Fort Chambly, St Andrews Blockhouse, Lundy's Lane, Fort Erie, Laura Secord House, McFarland House, etc. Its actually around $40 million so far spent on or committed to infrastructure improvement. More will likely be forthcoming for web-based products, such as Archives documents on line, travelling exhibits and special events. Very little of this money would have been commmitted if it had not been for the bicentennial. The surest way to kill the potential for additional funding is to ignore or belittle the money that has already been spent on that initiative.

          Ron
          =

        • spikeyj
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 6, 2011
            On Sun, 06 Mar 2011 14:40:55 -0500
            Ron <ronaldjdale@...> wrote:

            > Kevin,
            >
            > Federal bucks have been spent for exhibits, additions and
            > visitor centres at War of 1812 related placest speficall
            > to prepare for the bicentennial : Fort George, Brocks
            > Monument, Fort Mississauga, Fort St Joseph, Fort Malden,
            > Fort Wellington, Fort Lennox, Fort Chambly, St Andrews
            > Blockhouse, Lundy's Lane, Fort Erie, Laura Secord House,
            > McFarland House, etc. Its actually around $40 million
            > so far spent on or committed to infrastructure
            > improvement. More will likely be forthcoming for
            > web-based products, such as Archives documents on line,
            > travelling exhibits and special events. Very little of
            > this money would have been commmitted if it had not been
            > for the bicentennial. The surest way to kill the
            > potential for additional funding is to ignore or belittle
            > the money that has already been spent on that initiative.

            But by limiting its scope to just New York State, the
            author is doing the same thing in the other direction --
            ignoring things like the new visitor centre opened at Fort
            McHenry just this week.

            Spike Y Jones
          • Kevin Windsor
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 6, 2011
              In no way am I belittling the $$ that was given to me to build a new
              visitors centre! However, the article is stating that this $ was part of a
              bicentennial initiative and that the US is somehow behind on things!

              That $ was given to us because the timing was right, but if it was 2016 that
              $ could have gone to roads and sewers.

              So while I appreciate what the provincial and federal gov't have done, the
              US are not losing here! They may need to "think out of the box" and not
              just ask for $ for the bicentennial, but to re-think other programmes.

              So I think the best thing we can do for them is to call it what it is!

              KW

[...]

              _,_._,___

            • daniel schroth
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 7, 2011
                Greetings All!
                In the actual period, the US was not too supportive of the War.  The British  were fighting to stop invasion of their country. Has time really changed things? Kudos to the Canadian Government for their support of History.  Most Americans just forget. God Save the United States & Our friends in Canada!