Re: War of 1812 recruiting posters

  • Craig Williams
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 28 10:02 PM
      British or American?
      On 28-Feb-11, at 8:30 PM, <madgelse@...> wrote:

      > Greetings
      >
      > Are there any examples of recruiting posters for the War of 1812 era
      > that someone can direct me to look at?
      >
      > I am assuming these may be rather rare given literate rates of the
      > period and perhaps regiment specific?
      >
      > thanks
      >
      > David

    • daelse
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 1, 2011
        Ron

        I am looking for Army recruiting posters for North America primarily British but am also interested in how the American ones were developed.

        David

        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Ron <ronaldjdale@...> wrote:

        > There were posters for different applications in different areas of Britain and North America. For what area and what service are you looking for examples of recruiting posters? The literacy rate was not as dismal as many think. There were also ads for recruiting in newspapers.
        >
        > Ron
        >

        > =

      • Ron
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 1, 2011
          In BNA at the time of the War of 1812 it was mostly fencibles that recruited through things like posters. Regulars recruited in the British Isles (with rare exceptions) and Militia flank companies simply by word of mouth within their own districts. There is an example of a Glengary Light Infantry poster in the on-line War of 1812 magazine, courtesy of Robin Brass:

          http://www.napoleon-series.org/military/Warof1812/2006/Issue1/c_glengarry.html

          Ron

        • Ed
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 7, 2011
            I just uploaded a picture of a Royal Marine recruiting poster to an album called 'Recruiting Posters'. It's actually from a Word document I created some time ago using an actual RM poster as an example.

            Sorry this is late; still not getting emails from this one group.

            Cheers,
            Ed Seufert
            1812 Royal Marines