Rene Chartrand's latest edition of "A Most Warlike Appearance

  • richard6616
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 15, 2011
      Yesterday I received my copy of this new edition and currently I am working my way through it. I must say that it is very informative, accurate and educational in the real subject matter it is designed to include. I do have one disappointment though, the reliance upon James Ripley Jacobs 1947 work titled The Beginnings of the U.S. Army, 1783-1812 as "our main guide for the pre-war Army." There has been so much outstanding research and reporting done in the years since even its 1972 reprint appeared that the reliance on this old work results, in my opinion, toward a mis-focused view of events occuring within the United States during those years. Especially the view on Wilkinson. While I do not defend the man, I do believe the short treatment given regarding his "con game over the Spainish Crown" overstates his supposedly traitorous activities. The 2009 book An Artist in Treason and a whole host of other good publications would be much better sources to cite.