Sad news

  • Spencer's Mercantile
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 12, 2011
      I am very sad to report the passing of Dick Ward, founding member of
      the George Rogers Clark Heritage Association and the The Fair at New
      Boston, who left us Thursday night. I know many of us will miss good
      company and jolly conversations with him. His contributions to the
      preservation of history and to the grand pastime of re-enacting are
      without question very great. We are much lessened by his passing.

      Travel safely onwards, Dick -- we know there'll be an extra star
      twinkling down on us over the field at George Rogers Clark Park on
      Labour Day weekend. :'-)
    • Spencer's Mercantile
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 24, 2012
        Dear List --

        Many of you will remember potter Christina (Chris) Bell, who
        participated in a number of events throughout Ontario over the past
        several years. Unbeknownst to most of us, she had been bravely
        battling cancer throughout that time. I am very sorry to have to
        report that she lost that battle and passed away on Monday. She was
        69.

        I will miss her in camp -- her ready smile and warm greeting made her
        instant friends with everyone she met. Her thirst for knowledge on
        all things historical seemed unquenchable, and she loved to dabble in
        anything creative. She had recently taken up glass blowing and bead
        making. She was very generous with her time and her knowledge. I had
        not realized that she was a founding member of the Hamilton and
        District Potters Guild.

        She is survived by her husband Ron, who she clearly adored, as well as
        four children and many grandchildren. If you would like to send
        condolences, her email is sutherlandpottery@....

        A remembrance visitation will be held on Friday, September 7th, from 2
        to 4 pm in the church hall of Caledonia Presbyterian Church,
        Caledonia, Ontario. The family has asked that in lieu of flowers,
        donations be made to the West Haldimand Hospital and Healthcare
        Foundation.

        In sadness,
        -- Sioux
      • jbwhittaker
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 7, 2013
          Bert Summerhayes has asked me to let the 1812 community know that Nancy lost her fight with mesothelioma this morning.
          Bert and Nancy are long time reenactors, most recently with the British Native Allies. Please forgive me if I am missing anything.
          I held Nancy in the highest regard. I knew her as kind, generous and gentle lady and I will miss her.
          I will post more information as I get it.
          Best regards,
          Bruce Whittaker
        • S J McLean
          Message 4 of 4 , May 6, 2014
            Jim Hough of the Forsythe Rifles in Ogdensburg has passed away after a brief illness.

            Sue McLean