Re: 1812 Re: avoiding cross-infection in American hospitals

  • Craig Williams
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 6, 2011
      From the British publication, "Regulations for Surgeons 1799"

      "The sides and floors of the wards, if of wood, to be washed
      occasionally with soap and water; the walls, if plastered, to be
      frequently whitewashed and the wards to be fumigated with the nitrous
      vapour. Upon the death of a patient, the whole of his bedding to be
      well steeped in running water, or in a tub, then dried and baked in an
      oven, and afterwards washed with soap and boiling water, before it is
      either used again or put into regimental stores: and when the disease
      is subdued, the like to be done with the bedding of the whole ward.
      The straw about the bed of a man who dies, to be taken out and burned
      and the place or bed where he lay to be well scowered with soap and
      water.
      All men with infectious diseases, putrid fevers, fluxes, small pox, or
      measles, to be removed immediately from camp or barracks to a separate
      house, or, in certain cases of exigency, to a hospital tent. In all
      cases of this sort and particularly after the removal of a corpse, the
      ward is to be well fumigated."

      Craig Williams