Re: Ideal W1812 bibliography?

  • Ron
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 31, 2011
      Hello Sarah,

      Much depends on how much detail you are seeking and what theatre of war you are studying. For the war in the Niagara area (and Cryslers Farm) I would recommend the following: Cruikshank's volumes of "Documentary History of the Campaign upon the Niagara Frontier;" Don Graves editted version of J.M. Hitsman's "The Incredible War of 1812;" Don Graves books on Lundy's Lane, Chippawa and Crysler's Farm, Diane Graves book "In the Midst of Alarms;" Bob Malcolmson's "Lords of the Lake" and "A Very Brilliant Affair" Don Graves " Merry Hearts make Light Days" Don Hickey's "Don't Give up the Ship" and Carl Benn's "Iroquois in the War of 1812" are all great works in that they represent an incredible amount of original research.

      If it is a general history of the land war then Hitsman's "Incredible War of 1812" and Stanley's "War of 1812 Land Operations" are still good references. There is also one by American author Richard Barbuto that is a good read and there is the new one on the "Civil War of 1812" by Alan Taylor. The British historian, the late Jon Latimer produced a good overview called "1812: The War with America." For lighter reading-a shorter, quicker overview of the war I would suggest my own "The Invasion of Canada: Battles of the War of 1812" or Carl Benn's "the War of 1812"

      My bookshelves contain many more volumes and my file cabinets many copies of documents related to the war and I want more so my ideal bibliography might be considerably longer than the ideals of others including yourself..

      Ron Dale

      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 1, 2011
        If you are looking for a great book on the Great Southwest of Ontario, you
        need to get Glenn Stott's book "Greater Evils: The War of 1812 in
        Southwestern Ontario". Lots of great local history about the southwest.
        Hard to find though as it is currently out of print.

        Mark Dickerson

        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 5, 2011
          Finally I feel like I can contribute to all the good information being
          circulated to this group.  Here is a link to information sources our
          Bicentennial Commission has put together for students and other interested
          persons. http://illinoiswarof1812bicentennial.org/sources.html

          Lola DeGroff
          Webmaster
          Illinois War of 1812 Bicentennial Commission

          ________________________________
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 5, 2011
            Hi Sarah. Which government?

            Ron

[...]

            (Land War, See also AMICUS No. 2439020 La bataille de Queenston Heights / Carol Whitfield; Historique du fort George, Haut-Canada / Robert S. Allen; La bataille de Châteauguay / Victor J.H. Suthren, 1980

[...]

            of 1812-15 [microform]
[...]

          • whittakermp
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 6, 2011
              Sarah

              RE: Following is a list I am compiling for the government.

              Which government?

              Michael Whittaker
            • seascoutleader
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 7, 2011
                Sarah:
                Great List.
                I am sure that, as in the book listed below, others will have additions to the list.
                I suggest that as was the case of the Sutlers list, that you make a word file and post it in the file section and as additions are sent to you, the file can be updated and then available to all, without upteen unclipped replies going on and on ad infinitum.

                My humble contribution for consideration for addition to your list:
                Four years on the Great Lakes, 1813-1816 : the journal of Lieutenant David Wingfield, Royal Navy
                by Wingfield, David, ca. 1789-1863.
                Contributors: Bamford, Don. ; Carroll, Paul, 1944-
                Year/Format: 2009, Book, 428 p.

                Your humble and obedient servant,
                Gregory F. Hunter, Esq.,
                Warranted Sailing Master,
                Crown Forces Naval Establishment

                aka
                Hunter
                On-Gwe-Ho-Way
              • Diane Williams
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 8, 2011
                  A book that's available in text form on the internet through the Project
                  Gutenberg
                  Ned Myers: A Life Before the Mast by James Fenimore Cooper

                  Notes about the book are here:
                  http://external.oneonta.edu/cooper/articles/other/1997other-dudley.html

                  The text is here and can be downloaded or read online:
                  http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/9788

                  I'm using Cooper's authentic dialogue of the era to help me with writing my
                  screenplay about my ggg grandfather who was a privateer during the War of 1812.

                  ~~Diane Williams

                  [the entire ideal bibliography was attached at this point, because Diane just hit "reply" to a prior message that had it (and other stuff too, for that matter) and didn't snip it out. Diane is already on moderated status, so I did. Digest users: you're welcome. I also modified the subject line to something more useful. - Jim Yaworsky]