RE: 1812 Sent To Me By A Friend

  • Tom Hurlbut
    Message 1 of 40 , Jan 3, 2011
      This one's tough..

      I have lots of American friends, I think they live in a great country and
      have lots to be proud of.

      The pastor does an excellent job of moving hearts with a magnificent speech.

      But..

      "Major" Tom

      Message 40 of 40 , Jan 12, 2011
        Well, Iof course know to do that--I'm a Ph.D. historian and am well plugged into the 1812 network ( I know Scott Sheads, for example.) The point I am making is that we are dealing with a total outsider here. He now knows about this list, because list members contacted him. The pastor is from Salinas, California--not a lot of War of 1812 sites around there! So what about other more or less clueless folks who don't even know where to begin to look? Let us hope that all of our efforts to publicize the up-coming bicentennial really do raise awareness on the part of the general public. And imaybe we can get accurate curriculum into the schools, and get people to actually visit our historic sites, where we need to be sure to provide accurate information as well as a guide for further research, if folks are interested.

        Okay, I'll step down from my soapbox now.

        Ann Wass