Peter Postlethwaite (1946-2011)

  • Ray Hobbs
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 3, 2011
      Lists:
      Pete Postlethwaite, best known in our circles for his brilliant
      portrayal of Sergeant Obadiah Hakeswell in the Sharpe series, died on
      Jan. 2nd in hospital in the UK after a long battle with cancer.

      Obituaries are now appearing in UK newspapers, and on the 'Net.

      Postlethwaite was 64 years of age.

      Darned good actor; says so in the Scriptures.

      Yrs etc.
      Ray

    • larrylozon
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 3, 2011
        I guess Bernard Cornwell's idea of having Sergeant Obadiah Hakeswell's twin brother make a appearance is dashed now.

        Yrs.,
        L2

        --- Ray Hobbs wrote:

        Pete Postlethwaite, best known in our circles for his brilliant
        portrayal of Sergeant Obadiah Hakeswell in the Sharpe series, died ..."
      • HAROLD DENNISON
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 3, 2011
          I think Glenn Stott is available!   :)

          Hal Dennison
          www.JustDreamLife.com

          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 3, 2011
            My thoughts exactly, Hal.
            I thought Glenn did a great job of staring into his shako, and
            muttering something about his mother at a Fort Erie event a few years
            back.
            Not sure that Glenn is good-looking enough, though :-)
            Ray

            On 3-Jan-11, at 1:40 PM, HAROLD DENNISON wrote:

            > I think Glenn Stott is available!�� :)
            >
            > Hal Dennison
            > www.JustDreamLife.com
            > �

          • Diane Williams
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 3, 2011
              He was a terrific actor. :-(

              ~~Diane W.

              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 3, 2011
                Lets not forget some of our number played oposite him in Last of the Mohicans and what will Kaiser Sosay do now that he has lost Mr. Kobiashi?

                Aye

                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 3, 2011
                  That is where I first saw him. When he played Captain Beams while shooting Last of the Mohicans.

                  That is where I also first met Steve Abolt, B. Jennings and Dale Dye

                  Yrs.,
                  L2

                • johnjogden@gmail.com
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 3, 2011
                    Well, there goes the first choice to play Sam Vimes if/when further Diskworld adaptations are made...

                    -- Sent from my Palm Pre
                    On Jan 3, 2011 2:47 PM, Diane Williams <diane_williams@...> wrote:

                    He was a terrific actor. :-(

                    ~~Diane W.

                    From: larrylozon <larrylozon@...>

                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 3, 2011
                      I was saddened to hear the news this morning. A wonderful actor, I was
                      never disappointed by one of his portrayals. And he will forever be the
                      definitive Obadiah. RIP.

                      Michael

                      "We must sail sometimes with the wind and sometimes against it -- but we
                      must sail, and not drift, nor lie at anchor." -- Oliver Wendell Holmes

                      _____