RE: [Bulk] 1812 New Member Introduction

  • Tom Hurlbut
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 2, 2011
      Welcome Jim!

      I'm certain you'll have much to offer!

      Long Live the Republic!

      "Major" Tom

      _____

      From: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com [mailto:WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
      Of jmgallen1812
      Sent: January 2, 2011 5:15 PM
      To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [Bulk] 1812 New Member Introduction

      Jim Yaworsky invited me to introduce myself so here goes.

      I am an amateur historian, living in St. Louis, who thinks often of
      President Reagan's warning in his Farewell Address:

      "So, we've got to teach history based not on what's in fashion but what's
      important -- why the Pilgrims came here, who Jimmy Doolittle was, and what
      those 30 seconds over Tokyo meant... If we forget what we did, we won't know
      who we are. I'm warning of an eradication of the American memory that could
      result, ultimately, in an erosion of the American spirit. Let's start with
      some basics: more attention to American history and a greater emphasis on
      civic ritual."

      I have always been interested in history. Over the past ten years or so I
      have not only studied history but have attempted to help others to remember
      what we did and know who we are by teaching one night continuing ed classes
      through our local community college. My history interests have been general
      and not specific to the War of 1812. I do plan to offer a class on the War
      during the Bicentennial period. I will be watching the postings for anything
      that will enhance my knowledge about the War so that I will be ready when
      the time comes. I do not know how much I will contribute to the discussions,
      but I do plan on reading some books about the war and could post links to my
      Amazon reviews if other members would be interested.

      I will be looking forward to the postings and may surprise myself and others
      with some postings of my own.

      Jim Gallen

    • jmgallen@juno.com
      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 2, 2011
        Tom,
        Thanks!
        One thing I can contribute is a link to my Aamzon review of The War of 1812: A Forgotten Conflict by Donald R. Hickey:
        http://www.amazon.com/War-1812-FORGOTTEN-CONFLICT/dp/0252060598/ref=cm_lmf_tit_27
        Jim Gallen

        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 3, 2011
          Joel

          Also consider Gilbert Collins book "Guidebook to the Historic Sites of the War of 1812" published in 1998 by the Dundurn Press (www.dundurn.com). My paperback copy has lots of stickies marking pages of places I want to visit:):)

          Jeff

          "If we are to go forward, we must first look back." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
        • Colonel
          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 5, 2011
            Jim,
            I do hope you will offer that course on the War of 1812, and also hope other instructors will do the same. However, your struggle against ignorance on the subject will be very trying.
            I just retired from teaching History in a South Carolina High School last May and, along with many other frustrations that go along with such a career, let me share this concerning the War of 1812.
            The current US History text used by most of the schools in the state allow for six short paragraphs on the entire war. If you take away the map and assessment questions on the two pages used, you are left, in actuality, one page of text covering the conflict. The three main topics covered in a few sentences are the War in Canada, the burning of Washington, and the Battle of New Orleans. Baltimore is mentioned in a "balloon" on the map ---"Baltimore, Sept. 12-14, British fail to capture city and withdraw from Chesapeake Bay in October." The Star Spangled Banner and Ft. McHenry are not mentioned at all and most of my students had never heard of Francis Scott Key, not to mention all of the other heroes on both sides who served.
            I am afraid that what President Reagan warned of has already happened with the blessings of too many school systems. A large part of the problem is due to the fact that in Sourth Carolina some people in control of curriculum still believe that the entire history of the United States can be effectively taught in ONE SEMESTER, 90 SCHOOL DAYS! Whe one starts subtracting test days, extra school programs, broken sequencing from holidays, teacher workdays, or weather related school closings, it is not surprising that an entire generation knows very little about where they come from or what their predecessors have done.
            Again,I wish you all good fortune in your endeavors and hope you may inspire other instructors to also start programs such as you intend.

            Tom Moore

            --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "jmgallen1812" <JMGallen@...> wrote:

            > Jim Yaworsky invited me to introduce myself so here goes.
            >
            > I am an amateur historian, living in St. Louis, who thinks often of President Reagan's warning in his Farewell Address:
            >
            > "So, we've got to teach history based not on what's in fashion but what's important -- why the Pilgrims came here, who Jimmy Doolittle was, and what those 30 seconds over Tokyo meant... If we forget what we did, we won't know who we are. I'm warning of an eradication of the American memory that could result, ultimately, in an erosion of the American spirit. Let's start with some basics: more attention to American history and a greater emphasis on civic ritual."
            >
            > I have always been interested in history. Over the past ten years or so I have not only studied history but have attempted to help others to remember what we did and know who we are by teaching one night continuing ed classes through our local community college. My history interests have been general and not specific to the War of 1812. I do plan to offer a class on the War during the Bicentennial period. I will be watching the postings for anything that will enhance my knowledge about the War so that I will be ready when the time comes. I do not know how much I will contribute to the discussions, but I do plan on reading some books about the war and could post links to my Amazon reviews if other members would be interested.
            >
            > I will be looking forward to the postings and may surprise myself and others with some postings of my own.
            >
            > Jim Gallen

          • Charlie Quesenberry
            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 5, 2011
              That is sobering news, to say the very very least. It makes what we all do
              so much more than a hobby.

            • jmgallen@juno.com
              Message 6 of 19 , Jan 5, 2011
                Tom,
                Thanks for your encouragement.
> [...]

                > I have always been interested in history. Over the past ten years or so I have not only studied history but have attempted to help others to remember what we did and know who we are by teaching one night continuing ed classes through our local community college. My history interests have been general and not specific to the War of 1812. I do plan to offer a class on the War during the Bicentennial period. I will be watching the postings for anything that will enhance my knowledge about the War so that I will be ready when the time comes. I do not know how much I will contribute to the discussions, but I do plan on reading some books about the war and could post links to my Amazon reviews if other members would be interested.
                >
                > I will be looking forward to the postings and may surprise myself and others with some postings of my own.

              • ONeil
                Message 7 of 19 , Nov 23, 2011
                  To Jim Yaworsky and all 1812ers

                  I joined the group last night. I'm a writer with a degree in European History. Most of my books are mysteries, however, my newest is an historical novel, BATTLE KISS, an epic story of love and war set around the Battle of New Orleans. Its huge (320,000 words). My web site is www.oneildnoux.com

                  Look forward to discussions about The War of 1812.