British Army Poster

  • Ed
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 29, 2010
      Esteemed List,

      I've placed a picture in the album "British Army Poster" which shows a number of Brit uniforms from the War of 1182. Could someone identify the artist and possibly when this was done?

      Thanks.

      Ed Seufert
    • Ed
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 29, 2010
        er... supposed to have read War of '1812'

        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Ed" <rmarine1812@...> wrote:

        > Esteemed List,
        >
        > I've placed a picture in the album "British Army Poster" which shows a number of Brit uniforms from the War of 1182. Could someone identify the artist and possibly when this was done?
        >
        > Thanks.
        >
        > Ed Seufert

      • petemonahan
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 30, 2010
          Ed

          You're just mad 'cause 1182 was the OTHER TIME we beat you guys!

          Peter

          PS: Happy New Year's. I trust you'll be celebrating it from the comfort and security of your home, or did the snow not hit that far south?

          PPS: Sorry, no clue who did the poster but it looks interesting. Where did you find it?
        • Ron
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 30, 2010
            It is familiar looking--perhaps CW Jeffreys from the 1950's?? If not him it is likely from that era. I would have to dig out a copy of the relevant volume of his Picture History of Canada.

            Ron

            I've placed a picture in the album "British Army Poster" which shows a number of Brit uniforms from the War of 1182. Could someone identify the artist and possibly when this was done?

            Thanks.

            Ed Seufert

          • Tim Pickles
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 30, 2010
              I believe the illustrator is P. W. Reynolds, he worked on many of the regimental histories printed pre WW1 and the military books produced in England in the 1930s I am not sure when he died but I think either during or just after WW2. The National Archives have his notes and they are simply magnificent, he was researching Napoleonic British uniforms within 100 years of their use an had access to an amazing amount of information some of which is now lost. Using the Reynolds collection is not easy as one has to transcribe from the original but the information is great. Of course it is spotty in parts with some regiments covered in great detail and some in a couple of pages but his hand written notes can also have attachments of bits of lace, photographs and the like. Being a very good artist if he had sight of a painting or miniature his practice was to copy it and so some items that are lost in the original survive in the Reynolds collection.

              All the best for the new year,

              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 30, 2010
                Peter,

                Now I'll have to figure out what I was doing in 1182!

                The snow fell in the Carolinas and southern Virginia and then looped up the coastline. Though southern Maryland got 4-5 inches and the eastern shore got up to a foot or more, Baltimore got just a dusting, enough to wet the roads. Philadelphia, just 90 miles up the road, got about a foot of snow also which cancelled the NFL game on sunday evening.

                The picture was sent to me by one of the folks from the 1812 Eastern Shore Consortium, http://www.easternshore1812.org/, who want to post it on their website. They wanted to know the 'who' and 'when' and how accurate the pictures were. I'm trying to get the entire print because obviously there's several figures just off the right edge.

                I found it interesting that besides the Marine and the RA, there's no regiment representing the Chesapeake campaigns.

                There's also a picture of the signature and I'll try to post that one later. Its a bit fuzzy though; hard to read.

                Happy New Years to you and to all!

                Cheers,
                Ed

                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 30, 2010
                  Ron/Tim,

                  I have a 'fuzzy' picture of the signature and will post later this evening.

                  Thanks for your input and Happy New Year!

                  Cheers,
                  Ed

                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 30, 2010
                    Esteemed List,

                    I've posted the signature of the artist in the same album. It looks like "HA Ogden". Ring a bell to anyone?

                    Cheers,

                    Ed Seufert
                    1812 Royal Marines

                    --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Ed" <rmarine1812@...> wrote:

                    > Ron/Tim,
                    >
                    > I have a 'fuzzy' picture of the signature and will post later this evening.
                    >
                    > Thanks for your input and Happy New Year!
                    >
                    > Cheers,
                    > Ed
                    >
                    > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Tim Pickles <BritcomHMP@> wrote:
                    > >

                    > > I believe the illustrator is P. W. Reynolds, he worked on many of the regimental histories printed pre WW1 and the military books produced in England in the 1930s I am not sure when he died but I think either during or just after WW2. The National Archives have his notes and they are simply magnificent, he was researching Napoleonic British uniforms within 100 years of their use an had access to an amazing amount of information some of which is now lost. Using the Reynolds collection is not easy as one has to transcribe from the original but the information is great. Of course it is spotty in parts with some regiments covered in great detail and some in a couple of pages but his hand written notes can also have attachments of bits of lace, photographs and the like. Being a very good artist if he had sight of a painting or miniature his practice was to copy it and so some items that are lost in the original survive in the Reynolds collection.
                    > >
                    > > All the best for the new year,
                    > >
                    > > Tim

                  • Ray Hobbs
                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 30, 2010
                      Ed:
                      Check this out
                      http://www.lombardmaps.com/cat/ogden/ogden.htm
                      There is a lot about Ogden on the 'Net if you search for his name on
                      Google.
                      Early 20th century and listed as "the foremost" artist of military
                      subjects.
                      Happy New Year
                      Ray

                    • Ed
                      Message 10 of 10 , Dec 30, 2010
                        Ray,

                        As soon as I sent the email, I did the same thing and immediately recognized a good many of the prints. My contact from the eastern shore has beside the British uniform print, another with American uniforms. A search with Ogden's name along with '1812' will show you an American uniform print but not the British one. So I wonder how rare the British one is?

                        Thanks and a prosperous New Year to you.

                        Cheers,

                        Ed Seufert
                        1812 Royal Marines