Matthew Elliott

  • doucanu2
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 28 7:14 AM
      Just wondering about where Matthew Elliott is buried?

      From what I've been able to find is that he was buried May 9th 1814 in Burlington, but where in Burlington? Is there a stone marking his place?

      Thanks for any help,

      Gerry
    • Art Neilands
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 3, 2011
        Thanks Ian'

         A couple good folks are helping me out in looking for his resting place. In R.
        Horsmans book " Matthew Elliot, British Indian Agent" he mentions Elliot stayed
        and died at a home he had at Burlington Heights at the head of the Lake,,,
        Modern day Hamilton, after the retreat from Moriviantown.

        Got a tip from a member here mentioning that Elliott had bought approx. 1000
        acres from Joseph Brant from the approx. 3500 acres Elliot had helped purchace
        through the Government.B.I.D for Brant at an earlier date, Elliot was deeded
        this land after Brant had died in 1807( I'd have to check my info again to be
        sure of exact dates etc.)

        It is clear that there had been and was some tension between the Indian
        Department and their Military counterpart, it is very possible that he is buried
        in the common grave mentioned but I wouldn't rule out that he may have been
        buried on his own property at Burlington heights. just the same , one would
        think there's a record or note somewhere.

        Simon Girty as example who had an important and adventureous carrer with the
        B.I.D.  and was given a somewhat  military funeral even tho he hadn't been with
        the department for some years but was buried on his farm in Amherstburg.

        Thanks  to all that have responded for any and all help,

        Gerry

        On-Gwe-Ho-Way native re-enactors

      • Norm Paul
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 19, 2011
          Did someone found out where he was buried?

          I just finished reading " Simon Girty Turncoat Hero " by Phillip W. Hoffman.

          Matthew Elliot died may 7 1814, who had been quartered in Joseph Brant's old mansion, passed away after a illness of three months

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 19, 2011
            Haven't found out yet but still working on  it.I can't help but wonder if he
            stayed at Brants home ( Brants wife and son would have been living there anyway
            after Brants death in 1807) or if he had a home of his own there as well as his
            home in Amherstburg. He did buy 1000 acres from Joseph Brant from the 3000 that
            Brant got a few years before. Perhaps Elliott had a home built on that property,
            maybe a place to stay when as the elected member the assembly was sitting at
            York? or is it possible many of the 1st nations refuges stayed on Elliotts
            property after fleeing the Amherst/Moriviantown area? The B.I.D. were in charge
            of looking after the 1st nations after all. All just random thoughts and theroy
            on my part.

            In regards to Simon Girty Turncoat Hero, I recently bought and read it myself, I
            thought it was very well written and cleared up alot of myths/stories about
            Girty. Since reading it I've been in touch with the author in regards to another
            possible half brother of the Girty family.

            We'll keep looking for his final resting place, may take awhile, thanks to all
            those for the help, tips and suggestions,

            Gerry

          • Ray Hobbs
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 19, 2011
              Elliott did not stay in a house on Burlington Heights. The only domestic building on the heights in 1813-1814 was that of Richard Beasley. But it had been occupied by the British staff under Vincent, later de Rottenburg. All the other buildings being constructed in 1814 were barracks, and munitions depots.
              In the Fall and Winter of 1813-1814 the Natives were mostly located in Dundas Valley. All of the claims from the inhabitants living in the Dundas Valley were against the native warriors and their families who were left there. Richard Hatt, whose homes and businesses suffered the worst damage stated that the Natives were there on his property in the valley until June of 1815. IMHO they had been abandoned.
              I did come across recently a speculation where Elliott was buried. It was in an article in the Head of the Lake Historical Society journal. I will dig it out. But, as I recall, it was speculation, and undocumented.
              RegardsRay Hobbs
              To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 20, 2011
                Thanks Ray, that would be great. I knew it was Beasleys farm that eventually
                became the British base so I'm figuring authors over the years have been
                referring to Burlington Heights as the location of the British Post  as much as
                they have a general area. All the info I've come across to date seems to imply
                that Elliott had his own property and a home by the beach/s in what different
                 authors in different books call Burlington Heights which I think may very well
                be the Burlington Heights area in some cases.

                 If I had to speculate I would be inclined to think that having his own property
                in the area, (probably not all that far from Joseph Brants property as Elliott
                bought a portion of it),, he (Elliott) is/was buried on his property as many
                others during that time period were. We'll have to check out land deeds at the
                Ontario Archives,, see if anything turns up there in regards to any property
                Elliott may have had in the Burlington Heights/ Hamliton area.

                In regards to the 1st Nations people, although I have no info other then what
                you were kind enough to provide I wonder if some of them, (thinking of the
                Morivian/Fairfeild Mission Delaware Indians) may have encamped with/or at
                Elliotts property? More theroys and questions on my part, one of the  reasons
                why I enjoy history so much,, finding out the What, Who, Where and Why, lol.

                Thanks again Ray, any info would be sincerely  appreciated

                Gerry

                ________________________________
                From: doucanu2@...
                Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2011 14:33:10 -0800

[...]