Re: 1812 Question for all you Cannon Cockers out there

  • Ron
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 23, 2010
      For the British there was no colour standard to go by. Woodwork on artillery and caissons etc was painted a mixture of white lead, lamp black and linseed oil, giving a semi-gloss grey colour, the exact shade depending on how much of each ingredient was used. I suspect that the Americans did the same. An original 6pdr American caisson captured in the war of 1812 and in storage at Butler's Barracks is a light to medium grey colour. I think that you could replicate the look quite easily with a modern light grey semi-gloss oil based paint. Many historic sites make the mistake of painting their carriages in a flat grey paint. The carriages should be semi gloss and iron guns would be quite glossy.

      Ron

      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 23, 2010
        Colonial Williamsburg makes a great blue milk paint. It isn't dark like
        Prussian blue though. A little bit lighter than the colour blue of the
        canteens at Military Heritage...

        Kevin