Sequel to Master And Commander: The Far Side Of The World?

  • ekwardle
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 11, 2010
      I found this post on a UK re-enactment group forum (http://2nd95thrifles.myfastforum.org/Get_emailing_Fox_studios_about844.html), and after looking into it further, it seems legit.

      Here is the initial post by "Forum General" Ben:

      "Russell Crowe is pushing for a sequel to his 2003 movie Master And Commander: The Far Side Of The World - he wants fans to bombard studio bosses at 20th Century Fox with messages to back his campaign. The Gladiator star is keen to reprise his role as Jack Aubrey in the film based on the Napoleonic Wars. He's posted a message on Twitter.com in a bid to garner support from his fans to help resurrect the film. He writes, 'If you want a Master and Commander sequel I suggest you e-mail (film executive) Tom Rothman at Fox and let him know your thoughts.' Crowe's appeal has already worked - a Fox spokesperson has revealed the company has so far been inundated with requests for the movie and admits staff are now looking into the prospect.

      In a post on Twitter.com, the representative writes, 'Getting a lot of tweets about Master & Commander sequel, I'll look into it (I'd love one, too, but as you all know a LOT goes into it.)'"

      Now, keeping in mind the bicentennial approaches, what's your thoughts?

      Ewan
    • annbwass@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 11, 2010
        Actually, I was surprised that there was no sequel. However, this seems
        one of those projects that, considering how big a production the first was,
        would have been much more efficient to film along with the first one. Not
        sure it is so feasible to do it all over again.

        Ann Wass

        In a message dated 12/11/2010 11:36:25 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,

[...]

      • Tim Pickles
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 11, 2010
          The intention was always to do a sequel, posibly several, however what sunk the idea was the cost of the CG work, the picture was sucsessful but not THAT successful! That said the costumes and I think props were bought outright and the costumes at least are still owned by the production company and in store for further use so who knows?

          Aye

          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 11, 2010
            You are correct. All the swords, dirks, gun tools, boarding pikes, plates, leather gear etc. were purchased. After the film was in the can, Crowe ordered an additional six genleman's cutlasses (used in the final scenes) to give to friends. Apparently he liked them.

            Beau

            ekwardle@... writes:

[...]

          • Charlie Quesenberry
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 12, 2010
              Yes!!! (Where do I sign up...should they need a stand-in ships surgeon??)

            • Vince Wilding
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 13, 2010
                Hey, Doc! Good luck, I hear that Paul Bettany may not be playing Stephen in the future!

                --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Charlie Quesenberry <charliequ2@...> wrote:

                > Yes!!! (Where do I sign up...should they need a stand-in ships surgeon??)

              • Tom Hurlbut
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 13, 2010
                  Wow! Where did you hear that? That would be too bad as he's excellent!

                  If they did a sequel, I would hope we'd see more of the spy work that
                  Stephen was so good at (and maybe too, a little of Jack's philandering?).

                  Although the ship Vs ship stuff is always entertaining..

                  Tom

                  _____

                  --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com <mailto:WarOf1812%40yahoogroups.com> ,
                  Charlie Quesenberry <charliequ2@...> wrote:

                  > Yes!!! (Where do I sign up...should they need a stand-in ships surgeon??)

                • David
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 18, 2010
                    I had already read that there was a sequel to be done and Everyone but Crowe had signed on. Last I heard he had and it was to be based on the book Reverse of the Medal( for those who have read the series). I am sure it is comong but we shall see. I am sure all are waiting on the one big issue of MONEY.
                    Merry Christmas
                    Dave G