War of 1812 bonfire

  • John Sek
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 5, 2010
      Hello Folks,

      The attached file is an open invitation for everyone to attend a commemorative bi-national War of 1812 pre-bicentennial event entitled "Flames Across the Niagara".

      What started out as a way of commemorating the burning of Black Rock/Buffalo became an idea to commemorate a moment in time during the War, when virtually every community along the Niagara River was set to fire. What started by the burning of Newark, end with the burning of towns and villages on the US side and ended at Buffalo. It was a cold December in 1813, but all civilians that month regardless of side, shared a common purpose.

      We want to share the same common purpose starting this year and will be hosting two bonfires, one in Buffalo on Squaw Island and the other in Fort Erie at Bowen Road Park which is across from each other. It will be held this Saturday December 11th, 2010 from 6 to 8 pm and everyone who lives nearby or willing to visit the area, take in the lights over the falls or perhaps see a bonfire are welcome to attend.

      Next year, we plan to extend this to more communities until 2013 when every communities along the river will join in to mark this moment. If you can't make Fort Erie or Buffalo this week-end, consider going to Lewiston the following Saturday on Dec 18th when they will be hosting theirs.

      I realize this attachment may not go through, so if interested, please e-mail and I will send a copy off-line.

      Best regards to all,

      John Sek
      2nd Lincoln Artillery