Re: 1812 Waterloo Porridge

  • Peter Catley
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 2, 2010
      Ray,

      I obey:

      The entry reads:

      WATERLOO PORRIDGE (ccxxviii. 240-1). -Dictionary, Waterloo-porridge is 'oatmeal porridge made with water only'.
      A second possible definition is 'fig. a good beating'.

      ANTHONY W. SHIPPS . Indiana University Librarie

      So my observation regarding the workhouse gruel was quite close:-)

      Incidentally the access had to be through Standford University:-) Athens is not available to the general public in the UK ,you have to be a member of a subscribing organisation.

      Cheers

      *(*

      sOn 2 Dec 2010, at 13:12, Ray Hobbs wrote:

      > List:
      > There is a brief article by, Anthony W. Shipps, in the following Oxford
      > journal on Waterloo Porridge:
      >
      > WATERLOO PORRIDGE Notes and Queries (1984) 31(1): 86-f-86
      >
      > Unfortunately, the journal is not accessible online from Canada, only
      > in the UK through a system called "Athens".
      >
      > Peter C - over to you.
      > Ray

    • petemonahan
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 2, 2010
        Elizabeth Bowling of the 1812Civilian list contributed this to the discussion:

        This U.K. regional history site has a posting defining Waterloo porridge
        as 'a watery gruel of oats that was almost totally lacking in what we
        would regard as nutrition."

        http://www.ribchesterhistory.org/past_events_2010.htm

        My thanks to all involved!

        Peter
      • Soo
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 3, 2010
          LOL! You know, we could use all these odd queries to put together a 19thC version of Trivia. ;)

          Sue Too