Waterloo Porridge

  • Ray Hobbs
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 2, 2010
      List:
      There is a brief article by, Anthony W. Shipps, in the following Oxford
      journal on Waterloo Porridge:

      WATERLOO PORRIDGE Notes and Queries (1984) 31(1): 86-f-86

      Unfortunately, the journal is not accessible online from Canada, only
      in the UK through a system called "Athens".

      Peter C - over to you.
      Ray
    • Peter Catley
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 2, 2010
        Ray,

        I obey:

        The entry reads:

        WATERLOO PORRIDGE (ccxxviii. 240-1). -Dictionary, Waterloo-porridge is 'oatmeal porridge made with water only'.
        A second possible definition is 'fig. a good beating'.

        ANTHONY W. SHIPPS . Indiana University Librarie

        So my observation regarding the workhouse gruel was quite close:-)

        Incidentally the access had to be through Standford University:-) Athens is not available to the general public in the UK ,you have to be a member of a subscribing organisation.

        Cheers

        *(*

        sOn 2 Dec 2010, at 13:12, Ray Hobbs wrote:

        > List:
        > There is a brief article by, Anthony W. Shipps, in the following Oxford
        > journal on Waterloo Porridge:
        >
        > WATERLOO PORRIDGE Notes and Queries (1984) 31(1): 86-f-86
        >
        > Unfortunately, the journal is not accessible online from Canada, only
        > in the UK through a system called "Athens".
        >
        > Peter C - over to you.
        > Ray

      • petemonahan
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 2, 2010
          Elizabeth Bowling of the 1812Civilian list contributed this to the discussion:

          This U.K. regional history site has a posting defining Waterloo porridge
          as 'a watery gruel of oats that was almost totally lacking in what we
          would regard as nutrition."

          http://www.ribchesterhistory.org/past_events_2010.htm

          My thanks to all involved!

          Peter
        • Soo
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 3, 2010
            LOL! You know, we could use all these odd queries to put together a 19thC version of Trivia. ;)

            Sue Too