"To the memory of my boys"

  • petemonahan
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 11, 2010
      "To the memory of my boys"

      I could not leave Italy
      Without a final goodbye
      You know, I had no idea
      When I gave the order to attack
      That you would fall, a victim of duty

      Neither did you believe it
      As you went about your everyday tasks
      In the ranks you were like the others
      I did not know you better than them
      But I see your name on this cross

      And I remember: it was you
      After returning late from leave who came to my office
      Not so very serious, you need to live a little
      But for discipline's sake I had to punish you
      Without malice, because I liked you like the others

      I also remember another time when you told me
      That you had no job when you answered the call to war
      Your father, mother and others did not want you to go
      They did not believe your duty lay there
      But they had understood what a man's duty is

      Off you went, concealing your anxiety
      You did your soldier's work well
      Receiving few compliments
      And yet you were able to give your all
      Seeking adventure and little else

      Remembering my advice
      You cheerfully went to join your friends

      This poem was written by General J.V. Allard. Allard was serving as an officer in the Regiment de Trois-Rivieres when the Second World War began. In December 1943, he became the Commanding Officer of the Royal 22e Regiment in Italy.