Re: 1812 Can anyone help identifying this uniform?

  • Tim Pickles
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 9, 2010
      PS.

      Is that a que or a shadow I see behind his head? If the former he has to be 1806 or earlier.

      Aye

      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 9, 2010
        Certainly, looks like a Light Dragoon from around 1808.
        Regular, Volunteer, Militia - not sure(?)
        8th, 9th, 16th and 23rd British Lt Dragoons had red/scarlet facings.

        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "KevT" <thompsok@...> wrote:

        > Hello all,
        >
        > On another British Militaria forum I visit a member is trying to identify a painting of an Officer he found.
        >
        > The painting was found in Ontario and bears the date 1808.
        >
        > Can anyone identify the uniform and offer any help?
        >
        > Here is the link to the photo:
        >
        > http://images.yuku.com/image/jpeg/e8c26fb405cdaa73243770d14a146d964ca7a032.jpg
        >
        > Thanks very much,
        >
        > Kevin

      • Ron
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 9, 2010
          Any idea on the name of the man in the painting? With some of the anomolies in dress--leopard skin, older sword pattern, etc. I would guess an officer of one of the regiments of Yeomanry--perhaps Irish.

          Ron

          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 9, 2010
            Thank you all, I appreciate all the info, I will certainly pass it on to the chap who posted the picture originally looking for info.

            Thanks,

            Kev