Re: 1812 Can anyone help identifying this uniform?

  • Tim Pickles
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 9, 2010
      Any chance of a better picture to show the design on the collar and cuffs? He is obviously a Light Dragoon officer, though with that extreemly high waist I would have put him a bit earlier than 1808. He seems to have a leopard skin turban but I have seen pictures of various officers with that and have not come accross any regiment that clains it as a regimental distinction. He also seems to be carrying the 1788 pattern sword rather than the 1796 which is strange. Anyway with the silver lace and red facings would say 16th LD c1806. Have another look at the date and see if they might have made a mistake.

      All he best,

      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 9, 2010
        PS.

        Is that a que or a shadow I see behind his head? If the former he has to be 1806 or earlier.

        Aye

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 9, 2010
          Certainly, looks like a Light Dragoon from around 1808.
          Regular, Volunteer, Militia - not sure(?)
          8th, 9th, 16th and 23rd British Lt Dragoons had red/scarlet facings.

          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "KevT" <thompsok@...> wrote:

          > Hello all,
          >
          > On another British Militaria forum I visit a member is trying to identify a painting of an Officer he found.
          >
          > The painting was found in Ontario and bears the date 1808.
          >
          > Can anyone identify the uniform and offer any help?
          >
          > Here is the link to the photo:
          >
          > http://images.yuku.com/image/jpeg/e8c26fb405cdaa73243770d14a146d964ca7a032.jpg
          >
          > Thanks very much,
          >
          > Kevin

        • Ron
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 9, 2010
            Any idea on the name of the man in the painting? With some of the anomolies in dress--leopard skin, older sword pattern, etc. I would guess an officer of one of the regiments of Yeomanry--perhaps Irish.

            Ron

            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 9, 2010
              Thank you all, I appreciate all the info, I will certainly pass it on to the chap who posted the picture originally looking for info.

              Thanks,

              Kev