1812 historical discovery trail - southwestern Ontario

  • westhouse03
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 8, 2010
      Hello all,

      Region 7 of the Ontario Bicentennial commemoration regions, which stretches from London to Hamilton and south to Lake Erie is looking at marking a War of 1812 Discovery trail from Burlington Heights at Dundurn Park west to Tecumseh Park near Thamesville, Ontario.

      The trail is intended to highlight several 1812 sites along the way and travel roughly through areas that may have been traveled at the time and end along Longwoods Road, west of London, Ontario. The trail is proposed to travel from Hamilton through Ancaster, Brantford, Burford, Woodstock, Ingersoll and London.

      Some sites that are along the route are Tecumseh Park (Battle of the Thames), Fairfield (Moraviantown), Delaware (British post), London (Westbrook's Ambush), Oxford (Ingersoll-skirmish area), Burford (Brock's turning point south), Brantford (Brant's Ford - western most point of General Mcarthur's raid), Ancaster (Bloody Assizes), Burlington Heights (British garrison). There are many historical and other museums along or within a short distance of the trail which can link and benefit from the trail.

      If anyone is interested in helping out please let me know and I will forward you on to Adrienne Horne, the Executive Director of the region. A proposal has already been sent to the government for consideration.

      What is needed is historical matter pertaining to these regions and travel through it and information on sites on, near or along the proposed route.

      This project is intended to link to a proposed trail that has been planned to run from Fort Malden to Tecumseh Park.

      If you have information, would like more, or would like to help please e-mail me off site at
      westhouse at sympatico . ca

      Thanks,
      Dave Westhouse.