Re: Remembrance Day - Simcoe, Ontario

  • Soo
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 7, 2010
      Bravo for Simcoe!
      I wish more of us could do the same.

      Sue Too

      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Cheryl" <deadlywoman52@...> wrote:

      > Hello all,
      >
      > Bob Blakeley has asked me to let everyone in the Norfolk County area know that we will once again be laying a wreath at the Carillon Tower/War Memorial in Simcoe this coming Thursday. Ric Peterson has kindly offered to provide the wreath again this year, and we expect a number of other re-enactors will attend.
      >
      > This will be the fourth year in which War of 1812 re-enactors have participated in the Simcoe Remembrance Day parade, and response has been wonderful. Both observers and participants, including veterans of the Second World War, seem to understand the significance of the re-enactors' involvement -- that, almost 200 years after the War of 1812, there are those that still remember the sacrifices of the long-dead participants and wish to honour them. I suspect that this gives our living veterans some hope that their own sacrifices will never be forgotten.
      >
      > Although most people don't realize it, we're also honouring one specific individual who fought in the War of 1812, Robert Nichol, MLA for Norfolk from 1812 until his death in 1824, and Quartermaster General of Militia for Upper Canada. Nichol is one of the largely unsung heroes of the War of 1812, and way, way back in the 1800s, Norfolk Street in Simcoe -- the street on which the Carillon Tower is located -- was named Nichol Street in his honour.
      >
      > Anyone who would like to participate is welcome to show up. We meet in the parking lot across the street from the post office on Highway 24/Norfolk Street, just south of Highway 3, at 10:15 a.m.
      >
      > Once the ceremonies are over, the Simcoe Legion welcomes all participants for a free lunch and fellowship at the Legion Hall.
      >
      > If you need more details, please contact me at heronwood@...
      >
      > Cheryl MacDonald
      > www.heronwoodent.ca

    • Cheryl
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 7, 2010
        Thanks, Sue. There's no reason other places couldn't do the same. What Bob did was contact the local Legion and they were very welcoming. With the bicentennial coming up, it would be great to have re-enactors start participating in more Remembrance Day events, starting in 2011, especially in areas with strong connections to the War of 1812.

        Cheryl MacDonald