Re: 1812 tall grenadiers

  • Ron
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 20, 2010
      Unfortunately no. The returns are just statistical, listing the numbers of soldiers by height, age, and amount of service. To make a study of heights of individuals in the Grenadier Coy you would have to have a look at the attestation papers of the grenadiers and these would only be available for those who eventually received pensions. Average height was around 5'7" in 1811. About 30 years ago I asked the British Military Attache in Ottawa to find out for me the average height of British soldiers in the present day. It turned out to be 5'7 1/2" meaning that their average height had increased by a half inch in 170 years!

      Ron