Re: 1812 Re: Brock to unveil portraits of Tecumseh, Brock this afternoon

  • Ray Hobbs
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 16, 2010
      Dear "sheffkg.rm"
      In my experience (almost 40 years' university teaching) I don't think
      that our public education system and our universities have been
      actively intent on discouraging interest in heritage. Quite the
      contrary.
      The students' reaction on CHCH did not take into account the subjects
      being studied by the students. It is hardly fair to expect an
      engineering student to be fully conversant with the niceties of our
      history. I am from the Humanities, and I have little understanding of
      Quantum Physics - my colleagues in that field are amused by my
      ignorance.
      For the past twenty years I have been involved in a course which seeks
      to bridge the gap between the sciences, social sciences and the
      humanities. All of the students are from the sciences. In it I teach
      segments on "Ancient Urbanization and Social Change" and "The Ancient
      Arms-race, and the Developments of Metallurgy". The interest is high,
      the dedication full, and the results most satisfying.
      An interesting footnote - this evening, at Brock University, there is
      a celebration called "Brock Through the Ages". It is a fund-raising
      event and for the past three years it has grown so much that it has
      outgrown its original location. Several hundred educators, and local
      big-wigs will be there, in the company of "General Brock" and an
      honour-guard of a detachment of the 41st Regiment of Foot under the
      command of Capt. Tom Fournier. The 1812 period soldiers are a big hit,
      and create a lot of discussion.
      My two cents' worth
      Yrs etc.
      Ray Hobbs
      Hon. Colonel
      41st Regiment of Foot MLHG

      PS: This is an open forum. It would be helpful for such discussions to
      know who I am responding to. "sheffkg.rm" is an unknown in my world.