Chapeau Bras

  • dlwilbanks
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 11, 2010
      All,

      Where can one find a blank large enough to make a Chapeau Bras? The period in question is 1809 - 1812 for the style. Thank you in advance.

      At Your Service,

      Dan L. Wilbanks
    • Tim Pickles
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 12, 2010
        I know of nowhere that makes the right size apart from some of the ecclesiastical suppliers in Rome and they are rather expensive. But a chapeau bras can be made by covering card shapes in felt (as was done at the time) or by getting a costume 'bowler/derby' hat and stitching the correct size of plain felt to it to make the brim and then size it. You can always size it first (shellac is best I find) but that can make it difficult to stitch.

        All the best,

        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 12, 2010
          Tim,

          Living in a very wet climate, (Oregon) rain will be a constant companion on
          the hat. Do you think the costume felt would hold up?

          I have seen one pattern in the Lewis & Clark book on uniforms which shows a
          bicorne pattern. It looks as though it is stitched together from 3 pieces.
          They also give several good dimensions for the period in question.

          Dan

          On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 7:40 PM, Tim Pickles <BritcomHMP@...> wrote:

          > I know of nowhere that makes the right size apart from some of the
          > ecclesiastical suppliers in Rome and they are rather expensive. But a
          > chapeau bras can be made by covering card shapes in felt (as was done at the
          > time) or by getting a costume 'bowler/derby' hat and stitching the correct
          > size of plain felt to it to make the brim and then size it. You can always
          > size it first (shellac is best I find) but that can make it difficult to
          > stitch.
          >
          > All the best,
          >
          > Tim

        • Tim Pickles
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 12, 2010
            I would say just dry it flat if it ever becomes very wet, and of course make a foul weather oilskin cover for it and all will be well.

            Aye

            Where can one find a blank large enough to make a Chapeau Bras? The period
            in question is 1809 - 1812 for the style. Thank you in advance.

            At Your Service,

            Dan L. Wilbanks

            ------------------------------------
            War of 1812 Living History:
            wide-ranging information exchange
            or all participants and supporters

            nit Contact information for North America:
            Crown Forces Unit Listing:
            http://1812crownforces.tripod.com
            American Forces Unit Listing
            http://usforces1812.tripod.com
            WAR OF 1812 EVENTS LIST:
            010Yahoo! Groups Links
            Individual Email | Traditional
            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Ian Gardner
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 15, 2010
              http://www.brocku.ca/news/13778

              "Brock to unveil portraits of Tecumseh, Brock this afternoon

              Published on October 15 2010

              This afternoon, the university will unveil portraits of Tecumseh and
              General Brock.
              The paintings by Canadian artist Gertrude Kearns are on loan from the
              Royal Canadian Military Institute and will be displayed at Brock while
              the Institute undergoes renovations for the next two years.
              * Tecumseh and General Brock portrait unveilings:
              Brock faculty who are members of the Royal Canadian Military Institute
              offered to house the Institute's two life-size portraits of Tecumseh and
              General Brock rather than have them sit in storage during renovations.
              Kathryn Langley Hope who commissioned the portraits through the
              Institute will host a reception and unveiling of the paintings at 3:30
              p.m. in the Sean O'Sullivan Theatre lobby.
              A symposium about the portraits, their significance and the history
              behind them will take place at 2:30 in Thistle 256 prior to their
              unveiling. It will feature talks by the artist and historians."

            • scheffkg.rm
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 15, 2010
                I hope that this isn't too vinegary for my first post here, but I was a little miffed while watching the CHCH report on this event by the complete and total lack of interest and ignorance on the part of the students at that university about its namesake. Not completely their fault, I understand--our public education system has been intent on discouraging any interest in our heritage for several generations now.

                --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Ian Gardner" <igardner@...> wrote:

                > http://www.brocku.ca/news/13778
                >

                > "Brock to unveil portraits of Tecumseh, Brock this afternoon
                >
                > Published on October 15 2010
                >
                > This afternoon, the university will unveil portraits of Tecumseh and
                > General Brock.
                > The paintings by Canadian artist Gertrude Kearns are on loan from the
                > Royal Canadian Military Institute and will be displayed at Brock while
                > the Institute undergoes renovations for the next two years.
                > * Tecumseh and General Brock portrait unveilings:
                > Brock faculty who are members of the Royal Canadian Military Institute
                > offered to house the Institute's two life-size portraits of Tecumseh and
                > General Brock rather than have them sit in storage during renovations.
                > Kathryn Langley Hope who commissioned the portraits through the
                > Institute will host a reception and unveiling of the paintings at 3:30
                > p.m. in the Sean O'Sullivan Theatre lobby.
                > A symposium about the portraits, their significance and the history
                > behind them will take place at 2:30 in Thistle 256 prior to their
                > unveiling. It will feature talks by the artist and historians."

              • Ray Hobbs
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 16, 2010
                  Dear "sheffkg.rm"
                  In my experience (almost 40 years' university teaching) I don't think
                  that our public education system and our universities have been
                  actively intent on discouraging interest in heritage. Quite the
                  contrary.
                  The students' reaction on CHCH did not take into account the subjects
                  being studied by the students. It is hardly fair to expect an
                  engineering student to be fully conversant with the niceties of our
                  history. I am from the Humanities, and I have little understanding of
                  Quantum Physics - my colleagues in that field are amused by my
                  ignorance.
                  For the past twenty years I have been involved in a course which seeks
                  to bridge the gap between the sciences, social sciences and the
                  humanities. All of the students are from the sciences. In it I teach
                  segments on "Ancient Urbanization and Social Change" and "The Ancient
                  Arms-race, and the Developments of Metallurgy". The interest is high,
                  the dedication full, and the results most satisfying.
                  An interesting footnote - this evening, at Brock University, there is
                  a celebration called "Brock Through the Ages". It is a fund-raising
                  event and for the past three years it has grown so much that it has
                  outgrown its original location. Several hundred educators, and local
                  big-wigs will be there, in the company of "General Brock" and an
                  honour-guard of a detachment of the 41st Regiment of Foot under the
                  command of Capt. Tom Fournier. The 1812 period soldiers are a big hit,
                  and create a lot of discussion.
                  My two cents' worth
                  Yrs etc.
                  Ray Hobbs
                  Hon. Colonel
                  41st Regiment of Foot MLHG

                  PS: This is an open forum. It would be helpful for such discussions to
                  know who I am responding to. "sheffkg.rm" is an unknown in my world.