Re: War Of 1812 Play & The Patriot.

  • Greedo di Avarice
    Message 1 of 23 , Oct 10, 2010
      What was the problem you had with the Sony bean counters regarding
      equipment on "The Patriot?"

      don stallone

      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, gary beauregard <beau@...> wrote:

      > I have some fairly extensive and vivid memories of "The Patriot",
      since I supplied almost all of the swords, bayonets, and related items.
      It also taught me not to trust the Sony bean counters, even when you had
      an iron clad contract, for materials.
      > G. Beauregard

    • Soo
      Message 2 of 23 , Oct 11, 2010
        Very well put Kevin!!

        Sue Too

        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "royalscotstailor" <kevingarrett@...> wrote:

        > We're regular people with an interest in history, period clothing, sewing, carpentry among all sorts of trades and occupations. We're doctors, lawyers, accountants, sales associates and technicians. We spend our winters making , cleaning and improving our reenacting stuff, and our summer weekends travelling to sites to entertain ourselves and the public.
        >
        > Reenacting does not get in the way of real life....real life gets in the way of reenacting!
        >
        > We work together as a group to represent historical fact in the face of revisionist history.
        >
        > Cheers,
        > Kevin Garrett CD
        > Pioneer, Grenadier Company Royal Scots 1st Bn
        > Captain(ret'd) CF Army Reserve
        > Senior Locksmith Technician
        >
        > ( see what I mean about the varied background?)
        >

        > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "darrylschneider@" <darrylschneider@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hello. My name is Darryl Schneider and I am a playwright with Road Less Traveled Productions in Buffalo, NY.
        > >
        > > I am writing a play about War Of 1812 reenactors who act out
        > > the Burning Of Buffalo. If all goes well, the play will be performed sometime in 2012.
        > >
        > > Can anyone give me some insight into the life of a War Of 1812 reenactor?

      • Greedo di Avarice
        Message 3 of 23 , Oct 15, 2010

          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Colonel" <lehrerprofessoren@...>
          wrote:

          > Your mention of the "Patriot" brought back a memory for me as well.
          After riding in seven Hollywood films, and with my filming schedule in
          hand for the "Patriot", I refused to participate in the filming when I
          saw how they would portray the mounted element of Tarleton's Legion,
          namely, the burning of the church with the colonials inside.
          > It was the only film ever that I was scheduled for and turned down.
          What did Mel Gibson say? "It's not history. It's Hollywood".

          > Tom Moore
          >
          > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, gary beauregard beau@ wrote:
          > >
          > > I have some fairly extensive and vivid memories of "The Patriot",
          since I supplied almost all of the swords, bayonets, and related items.
          It also taught me not to trust the Sony bean counters, even when you had
          an iron clad contract, for materials.
          > > G. Beauregard

          His
          > > > Majesty's Service' Directed by Maurice DePas, this is a
          documentary about
          > > > (for the most part) 1812 re-enacting through interviews and candid
          shots
          > > > taken at re-enactments, many of the people on this list are in it,
          including
          > > > me, but its still very good!
          > > >
          > > > Cheers
          > > >
          > > > Tim

        • Kevin Windsor
          Message 4 of 23 , Oct 15, 2010
            Might I suggest two things

            a) Please clip your messages for those on digest

            b) Please take this off list. As it seems you disagree with him and it
            looks like a flame war is about to start

            Thank you

            Kevin Windsor

            RNR

            --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com <mailto:WarOf1812%40yahoogroups.com> ,
            wrote:

            > Your mention of the "Patriot" brought back a memory for me as well.
            After riding in seven Hollywood films, and with my filming schedule in
            hand for the "Patriot", I refused to participate in the filming when I
            saw how they would portray the mounted element of Tarleton's Legion,
            namely, the burning of the church with the colonials inside.
            > It was the only film ever that I was scheduled for and turned down.
            What did Mel Gibson say? "It's not history. It's Hollywood".

            > Tom Moore

            _,_._,___

          • Dan Wilbanks
            Message 5 of 23 , Oct 15, 2010
              Darryl,

              Once the "cranks" filter out you will find there are some very competent
              historians/reenactors are on this list with no particular axe to grind. We
              need more folks like you willing to get the word out whatever is produced.

              Your timing is good as the bicentennial celebration of the War of 1812
              should make it very topical.

              At Your Service,

              Dan L. Wilbanks
              Old Oregon Territory

              On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 6:15 PM, darrylschneider@... <
              darrylschneider@...> wrote:

              > Hello. My name is Darryl Schneider and I am a playwright with Road Less
              > Traveled Productions in Buffalo, NY.
              >
              > I am writing a play about War Of 1812 reenactors who act out
              > the Burning Of Buffalo. If all goes well, the play will be performed
              > sometime in 2012.
              >
              > Can anyone give me some insight into the life of a War Of 1812 reenactor?
              > Why do you do it? Does it interfere with your personal life? How do people
              > react when you tell them you are a reenactor? Anything specifically I should
              > know about reenactors to make this play authentic?
              >
              > Any information will be valuable.
              >
              > Thank you.
              >
              > Darryl

            • Greedo di Avarice
              Message 6 of 23 , Oct 16, 2010
                Good idea on the clipping. Thank you.

                I do not disagree with him. No flame war.

                Quite the contrary, I have information from another source about
                "Hollywood" movie makers that supports an attitude of extreme caution
                when dealing with them. What I desire is factual information or
                objective anecdotes that I can use in my own dealings with movie makers.

                Do I really have to learn all the lessons -- and there does seem to be a
                boat load -- the hard way? I hope not.

                I pose my question a second time because it may have been missed the
                first time. If I don't get an answer this time I won't ask him again.

                And in light of all that, if you still wish it off list then by all
                means I will take it off list.

                Peace,
                don stallone

                --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Windsor <kevin.windsor@...>
                wrote:

                > Might I suggest two things
                >
                > a) Please clip your messages for those on digest
                >
                > b) Please take this off list. As it seems you disagree with him
                and it
                > looks like a flame war is about to start
                >
                > Thank you
                > Kevin Windsor
                > RNR

              • Tim Pickles
                Message 7 of 23 , Oct 16, 2010
                  Here is one sliver of advice about dealing with movie companies, never forget that their first priority is making a movie not public relations. If you are supplying one of the departments with anything they will be calling you and you will be able to get through to the hed man untill you have supplied the order as soon as you have compled the order you will be passed on to accounting whose first job is not to break his neck spending money. However if you have a few items in hand your department wants and you have corectly worded you agreement, someone from the department you are dealing with will go to the office and bug accounting till they send your check.

                  It is not that anyone is out to screw you (at least for the vast majority of productions) it is just that they usualy have a boatload of problems and once you are out of their immediate focus you get forgotten about.

                  Cheers,

                  wrote:

                  > Might I suggest two things
                  >
                  > a) Please clip your messages for those on digest
                  >
                  > b) Please take this off list. As it seems you disagree with him
                  and it
                  > looks like a flame war is about to start
                  >
                  > Thank you
                  > Kevin Windsor
                  > RNR

                • James Yaworsky
                  Message 8 of 23 , Oct 16, 2010
                    A clarification, Don.

                    Mr. Windsor is not a moderator of this list, just a valued and esteemed member of the 1812 community. While it is nice you might be willing to go along with his wishes in regards to taking this topic "off list", you certainly don't have to - officially. The moderators of this list didn't see any "flame war" kindling in what you had posted.

                    There might be many other valued and esteemed members of the 1812 community and this list who would be interested in hearing how this thread develops.

                    List members who have a problem with something posted by another list member should approach the list moderators for possible action. Doing otherwise can, ironically, be what in fact ends up starting a flame war...

                    Jim Yaworsky
                    Moderator

                  • darrylschneider@rocketmail.com
                    Message 9 of 23 , Oct 16, 2010
                      Thank you, Dan.
                      I've gathered some good info. so far from this forum and others. I'm meeting a reenactor from Fort Erie in November. If you or others have recommendations for books on the War Of 1812, in particular the Burning Of Buffalo (my home town, where the play is set in), please let me know.

                      Take care, sir.
                      Darryl

                      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Dan Wilbanks <dlwilbanks@...> wrote:

                      > Darryl,
                      >
                      > Once the "cranks" filter out you will find there are some very competent
                      > historians/reenactors are on this list with no particular axe to grind.
                    • John Ogden
                      Message 10 of 23 , Oct 16, 2010
                        The following is not to be construed as specific legal counsel or advice,
                        simply as personal observation.

                        As a corollary to Mr. Pickles thoughts, sound business practice would urge
                        that dates for payment be explicitly stated in advance (at the time the sale
                        is agreed upon). For incidental, one-time sales of physical items, general
                        practice seems to be to not deliver until payment has been received by the
                        supplier (goods not be shipped by seller to purchaser until payment has been
                        received). This precludes having to wait to get paid until the buyer gets
                        around to cutting you a check. In the case of large purchases, a clause
                        indicating how much is to be paid at specified dates or intervals might be
                        in order.

                        The important thing here is that the terms of sale, including price,
                        delivery and payment, need to be explicitly stated and agreed to by both
                        parties in advance. In order to effectuate this, you should consult an
                        attorney, especially as the Uniform Commercial Code requires that any
                        agreement for the sale of goods with a combined purchase price over $500
                        (total value of all goods involved, not any individual item) must be in
                        written form (a contract).

                        On Sat, Oct 16, 2010 at 8:31 AM, Tim Pickles <BritcomHMP@...> wrote:

                        > Here is one sliver of advice about dealing with movie companies, never
                        > forget that their first priority is making a movie not public relations. If
                        > you are supplying one of the departments with anything they will be calling
                        > you and you will be able to get through to the hed man untill you have
                        > supplied the order as soon as you have compled the order you will be passed
                        > on to accounting whose first job is not to break his neck spending money.
                        > However if you have a few items in hand your department wants and you have
                        > corectly worded you agreement, someone from the department you are dealing
                        > with will go to the office and bug accounting till they send your check.
                        >
                        > It is not that anyone is out to screw you (at least for the vast majority
                        > of productions) it is just that they usualy have a boatload of problems and
                        > once you are out of their immediate focus you get forgotten about.
                        >
                        > Cheers,
                        >
                        > Tim

                        John J. Ogden

                      • Joseph
                        Message 11 of 23 , Oct 17, 2010
                          Darryl:

                          If you are going to deal with the Burning of Buffalo in the book, you should also include the events that led up to it, such as the Burning of Newark.

                          Joe Lischka

                          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "darrylschneider@..." <darrylschneider@...> wrote:

                          > Thank you, Dan.
                          > I've gathered some good info. so far from this forum and others. I'm meeting a reenactor from Fort Erie in November. If you or others have recommendations for books on the War Of 1812, in particular the Burning Of Buffalo (my home town, where the play is set in), please let me know.
                          >
                          > Take care, sir.
                          > Darryl
                        • gary beauregard
                          Message 12 of 23 , Oct 17, 2010
                            It is best to act as if the production house IS out to screw you. Experience has taught me that.

                            G. Beauregard
                            U.S. Sword & Uniform

                            From: John Ogden <johnjogden@...>

                            The following is not to be construed as specific legal counsel or advice, simply as personal observation.

                            As a corollary to Mr. Pickles thoughts, sound business practice would urge   [snip]
                            The important thing here is that the terms of sale, including price,
                            delivery and payment, need to be explicitly stated and agreed to by both parties in advance.  [snip]