Re: War Of 1812 Play

  • Tim Pickles
    Message 1 of 23 , Oct 8, 2010
      On that score, you might want to
      sk around on RevListe for anyone's memories of working on *The
      atriot*(not spitting nor recommending it as a source on the period;
      erely
      uggesting that mention of it will get you some reactions mostly on-point).

      Well John,

      I worked on The Patriot (not on set I made all the epaulettes) however I do know that by the middle of the shoot the re-enactors were calling it Sweet Liberty and some of the younger crew members had no idea what they were tal;king about. Personaly I had the Bob Hoskins - Alan Alda conversation with the assistant costume designer, Why are they dressed in red, when they should be in green? Well, if they are not in red the audience won't know they are British!
      Then there was :
      'The director doesn't like that one epaulette look'
      'OK but you know that that is part of the rank structure, junior officer wore one, Majors and above two so if everybody has two there will be no one under the rank of Major'
      'Well that's what he wants!'
      At which point I just said send more cash and started building more epaulettes!

      Cheers,

    • gary beauregard
      Message 2 of 23 , Oct 8, 2010
        I have some fairly extensive and vivid memories of "The Patriot", since I supplied almost all of the swords, bayonets, and related items. It also taught me not to trust the Sony bean counters, even when you had an iron clad contract, for materials.
        G. Beauregard

        Message 3 of 23 , Oct 8, 2010
          Your mention of the "Patriot" brought back a memory for me as well. After riding in seven Hollywood films, and with my filming schedule in hand for the "Patriot", I refused to participate in the filming when I saw how they would portray the mounted element of Tarleton's Legion, namely, the burning of the church with the colonials inside.
          It was the only film ever that I was scheduled for and turned down. What did Mel Gibson say? "It's not history. It's Hollywood".

          Tom Moore

          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, gary beauregard <beau@...> wrote:

          > I have some fairly extensive and vivid memories of "The Patriot", since I supplied almost all of the swords, bayonets, and related items. It also taught me not to trust the Sony bean counters, even when you had an iron clad contract, for materials.
          > G. Beauregard

        • gary beauregard
          Message 4 of 23 , Oct 9, 2010
            "The Patriot" was missed named. It should have been called "Mad Max meets Atilla".

            Beau

            Your mention of the "Patriot" brought back a memory for me as well. After riding in seven Hollywood films, and with my filming schedule in hand for the "Patriot", I refused to participate in the filming when I saw how they would portray the mounted element of Tarleton's Legion, namely, the burning of the church with the colonials inside.
            It was the only film ever that I was scheduled for and turned down. What did Mel Gibson say? "It's not history. It's Hollywood".

            Tom Moore
          • Victor Suthren
            Message 5 of 23 , Oct 9, 2010
              I reacted to "The Patriot" with a similar disgust at its unfair portrayal of the British as essentially SS killers. At work, too, was Mel Gibson's hatred of all things English. There is a common thread in his films: a little guy perseceuted/betrayed by the English establishment. I think of 'Gallipoli', 'The Bounty', 'Braveheart'---always the same theme. He is one angry little fella.....

              Vic Suthren

              Your mention of the "Patriot" brought back a memory for me as well. After riding in seven Hollywood films, and with my filming schedule in hand for the "Patriot", I refused to participate in the filming when I saw how they would portray the mounted element of Tarleton's Legion, namely, the burning of the church with the colonials inside.
              It was the only film ever that I was scheduled for and turned down. What did Mel Gibson say? "It's not history. It's Hollywood".

              Tom Moore

              --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, gary beauregard <beau@...> wrote:

              > I have some fairly extensive and vivid memories of "The Patriot", since I supplied almost all of the swords, bayonets, and related items. It also taught me not to trust the Sony bean counters, even when you had an iron clad contract, for materials.
              > G. Beauregard

            • royalscotstailor
              Message 6 of 23 , Oct 9, 2010
                We're regular people with an interest in history, period clothing, sewing, carpentry among all sorts of trades and occupations. We're doctors, lawyers, accountants, sales associates and technicians. We spend our winters making , cleaning and improving our reenacting stuff, and our summer weekends travelling to sites to entertain ourselves and the public.

                Reenacting does not get in the way of real life....real life gets in the way of reenacting!

                We work together as a group to represent historical fact in the face of revisionist history.

                Cheers,
                Kevin Garrett CD
                Pioneer, Grenadier Company Royal Scots 1st Bn
                Captain(ret'd) CF Army Reserve
                Senior Locksmith Technician

                ( see what I mean about the varied background?)

                --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "darrylschneider@..." <darrylschneider@...> wrote:

                > Hello. My name is Darryl Schneider and I am a playwright with Road Less Traveled Productions in Buffalo, NY.
                >
                > I am writing a play about War Of 1812 reenactors who act out
                > the Burning Of Buffalo. If all goes well, the play will be performed sometime in 2012.
                >
                > Can anyone give me some insight into the life of a War Of 1812 reenactor?

              • Greedo di Avarice
                Message 7 of 23 , Oct 10, 2010
                  What was the problem you had with the Sony bean counters regarding
                  equipment on "The Patriot?"

                  don stallone

                  --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, gary beauregard <beau@...> wrote:

                  > I have some fairly extensive and vivid memories of "The Patriot",
                  since I supplied almost all of the swords, bayonets, and related items.
                  It also taught me not to trust the Sony bean counters, even when you had
                  an iron clad contract, for materials.
                  > G. Beauregard

                • Soo
                  Message 8 of 23 , Oct 11, 2010
                    Very well put Kevin!!

                    Sue Too

                    Message 9 of 23 , Oct 15, 2010

                      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Colonel" <lehrerprofessoren@...>
                      wrote:

                      > Your mention of the "Patriot" brought back a memory for me as well.
                      After riding in seven Hollywood films, and with my filming schedule in
                      hand for the "Patriot", I refused to participate in the filming when I
                      saw how they would portray the mounted element of Tarleton's Legion,
                      namely, the burning of the church with the colonials inside.
                      > It was the only film ever that I was scheduled for and turned down.
                      What did Mel Gibson say? "It's not history. It's Hollywood".

                      > Tom Moore
                      >
                      > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, gary beauregard beau@ wrote:
                      > >
                      > > I have some fairly extensive and vivid memories of "The Patriot",
                      since I supplied almost all of the swords, bayonets, and related items.
                      It also taught me not to trust the Sony bean counters, even when you had
                      an iron clad contract, for materials.
                      > > G. Beauregard

                    • Kevin Windsor
                      Message 10 of 23 , Oct 15, 2010
                        Might I suggest two things

                        a) Please clip your messages for those on digest

                        b) Please take this off list. As it seems you disagree with him and it
                        looks like a flame war is about to start

                        Thank you

                        Kevin Windsor

                        RNR

                        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com <mailto:WarOf1812%40yahoogroups.com> ,
                        wrote:

                        > Your mention of the "Patriot" brought back a memory for me as well.
                        After riding in seven Hollywood films, and with my filming schedule in
                        hand for the "Patriot", I refused to participate in the filming when I
                        saw how they would portray the mounted element of Tarleton's Legion,
                        namely, the burning of the church with the colonials inside.
                        > It was the only film ever that I was scheduled for and turned down.
                        What did Mel Gibson say? "It's not history. It's Hollywood".

                        > Tom Moore

                        _,_._,___

                      • Dan Wilbanks
                        Message 11 of 23 , Oct 15, 2010
                          Darryl,

                          Once the "cranks" filter out you will find there are some very competent
                          historians/reenactors are on this list with no particular axe to grind. We
                          need more folks like you willing to get the word out whatever is produced.

                          Your timing is good as the bicentennial celebration of the War of 1812
                          should make it very topical.

                          At Your Service,

                          Dan L. Wilbanks
                          Old Oregon Territory

                          On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 6:15 PM, darrylschneider@... <
                          darrylschneider@...> wrote:

                          > Hello. My name is Darryl Schneider and I am a playwright with Road Less
                          > Traveled Productions in Buffalo, NY.
                          >
                          > I am writing a play about War Of 1812 reenactors who act out
                          > the Burning Of Buffalo. If all goes well, the play will be performed
                          > sometime in 2012.
                          >
                          > Can anyone give me some insight into the life of a War Of 1812 reenactor?
                          > Why do you do it? Does it interfere with your personal life? How do people
                          > react when you tell them you are a reenactor? Anything specifically I should
                          > know about reenactors to make this play authentic?
                          >
                          > Any information will be valuable.
                          >
                          > Thank you.
                          >
                          > Darryl

                        • Greedo di Avarice
                          Message 12 of 23 , Oct 16, 2010
                            Good idea on the clipping. Thank you.

                            I do not disagree with him. No flame war.

                            Quite the contrary, I have information from another source about
                            "Hollywood" movie makers that supports an attitude of extreme caution
                            when dealing with them. What I desire is factual information or
                            objective anecdotes that I can use in my own dealings with movie makers.

                            Do I really have to learn all the lessons -- and there does seem to be a
                            boat load -- the hard way? I hope not.

                            I pose my question a second time because it may have been missed the
                            first time. If I don't get an answer this time I won't ask him again.

                            And in light of all that, if you still wish it off list then by all
                            means I will take it off list.

                            Peace,
                            don stallone

                            --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Windsor <kevin.windsor@...>
                            wrote:

                            > Might I suggest two things
                            >
                            > a) Please clip your messages for those on digest
                            >
                            > b) Please take this off list. As it seems you disagree with him
                            and it
                            > looks like a flame war is about to start
                            >
                            > Thank you
                            > Kevin Windsor
                            > RNR

                          • Tim Pickles
                            Message 13 of 23 , Oct 16, 2010
                              Here is one sliver of advice about dealing with movie companies, never forget that their first priority is making a movie not public relations. If you are supplying one of the departments with anything they will be calling you and you will be able to get through to the hed man untill you have supplied the order as soon as you have compled the order you will be passed on to accounting whose first job is not to break his neck spending money. However if you have a few items in hand your department wants and you have corectly worded you agreement, someone from the department you are dealing with will go to the office and bug accounting till they send your check.

                              It is not that anyone is out to screw you (at least for the vast majority of productions) it is just that they usualy have a boatload of problems and once you are out of their immediate focus you get forgotten about.

                              Cheers,

                              wrote:

                              > Might I suggest two things
                              >
                              > a) Please clip your messages for those on digest
                              >
                              > b) Please take this off list. As it seems you disagree with him
                              and it
                              > looks like a flame war is about to start
                              >
                              > Thank you
                              > Kevin Windsor
                              > RNR

                            • James Yaworsky
                              Message 14 of 23 , Oct 16, 2010
                                A clarification, Don.

                                Mr. Windsor is not a moderator of this list, just a valued and esteemed member of the 1812 community. While it is nice you might be willing to go along with his wishes in regards to taking this topic "off list", you certainly don't have to - officially. The moderators of this list didn't see any "flame war" kindling in what you had posted.

                                There might be many other valued and esteemed members of the 1812 community and this list who would be interested in hearing how this thread develops.

                                List members who have a problem with something posted by another list member should approach the list moderators for possible action. Doing otherwise can, ironically, be what in fact ends up starting a flame war...

                                Jim Yaworsky
                                Moderator

                              • darrylschneider@rocketmail.com
                                Message 15 of 23 , Oct 16, 2010
                                  Thank you, Dan.
                                  I've gathered some good info. so far from this forum and others. I'm meeting a reenactor from Fort Erie in November. If you or others have recommendations for books on the War Of 1812, in particular the Burning Of Buffalo (my home town, where the play is set in), please let me know.

                                  Take care, sir.
                                  Darryl

                                  --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Dan Wilbanks <dlwilbanks@...> wrote:

                                  > Darryl,
                                  >
                                  > Once the "cranks" filter out you will find there are some very competent
                                  > historians/reenactors are on this list with no particular axe to grind.
                                • John Ogden
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Oct 16, 2010
                                    The following is not to be construed as specific legal counsel or advice,
                                    simply as personal observation.

                                    As a corollary to Mr. Pickles thoughts, sound business practice would urge
                                    that dates for payment be explicitly stated in advance (at the time the sale
                                    is agreed upon). For incidental, one-time sales of physical items, general
                                    practice seems to be to not deliver until payment has been received by the
                                    supplier (goods not be shipped by seller to purchaser until payment has been
                                    received). This precludes having to wait to get paid until the buyer gets
                                    around to cutting you a check. In the case of large purchases, a clause
                                    indicating how much is to be paid at specified dates or intervals might be
                                    in order.

                                    The important thing here is that the terms of sale, including price,
                                    delivery and payment, need to be explicitly stated and agreed to by both
                                    parties in advance. In order to effectuate this, you should consult an
                                    attorney, especially as the Uniform Commercial Code requires that any
                                    agreement for the sale of goods with a combined purchase price over $500
                                    (total value of all goods involved, not any individual item) must be in
                                    written form (a contract).

                                    On Sat, Oct 16, 2010 at 8:31 AM, Tim Pickles <BritcomHMP@...> wrote:

                                    > Here is one sliver of advice about dealing with movie companies, never
                                    > forget that their first priority is making a movie not public relations. If
                                    > you are supplying one of the departments with anything they will be calling
                                    > you and you will be able to get through to the hed man untill you have
                                    > supplied the order as soon as you have compled the order you will be passed
                                    > on to accounting whose first job is not to break his neck spending money.
                                    > However if you have a few items in hand your department wants and you have
                                    > corectly worded you agreement, someone from the department you are dealing
                                    > with will go to the office and bug accounting till they send your check.
                                    >
                                    > It is not that anyone is out to screw you (at least for the vast majority
                                    > of productions) it is just that they usualy have a boatload of problems and
                                    > once you are out of their immediate focus you get forgotten about.
                                    >
                                    > Cheers,
                                    >
                                    > Tim

                                    John J. Ogden

                                  • Joseph
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Oct 17, 2010
                                      Darryl:

                                      If you are going to deal with the Burning of Buffalo in the book, you should also include the events that led up to it, such as the Burning of Newark.

                                      Joe Lischka

                                      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "darrylschneider@..." <darrylschneider@...> wrote:

                                      > Thank you, Dan.
                                      > I've gathered some good info. so far from this forum and others. I'm meeting a reenactor from Fort Erie in November. If you or others have recommendations for books on the War Of 1812, in particular the Burning Of Buffalo (my home town, where the play is set in), please let me know.
                                      >
                                      > Take care, sir.
                                      > Darryl
                                    • gary beauregard
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Oct 17, 2010
                                        It is best to act as if the production house IS out to screw you. Experience has taught me that.

                                        G. Beauregard
                                        U.S. Sword & Uniform

                                        From: John Ogden <johnjogden@...>

                                        The following is not to be construed as specific legal counsel or advice, simply as personal observation.

                                        As a corollary to Mr. Pickles thoughts, sound business practice would urge   [snip]
                                        The important thing here is that the terms of sale, including price,
                                        delivery and payment, need to be explicitly stated and agreed to by both parties in advance.  [snip]