War Of 1812 Play

  • darrylschneider@rocketmail.com
    Message 1 of 23 , Oct 7, 2010
      Hello. My name is Darryl Schneider and I am a playwright with Road Less Traveled Productions in Buffalo, NY.

      I am writing a play about War Of 1812 reenactors who act out
      the Burning Of Buffalo. If all goes well, the play will be performed sometime in 2012.

      Can anyone give me some insight into the life of a War Of 1812 reenactor? Why do you do it? Does it interfere with your personal life? How do people react when you tell them you are a reenactor? Anything specifically I should know about reenactors to make this play authentic?

      Any information will be valuable.

      Thank you.

      Darryl
    • JGIL1812@aol.com
      Message 2 of 23 , Oct 7, 2010
        Darryl,

        There is a short film by Maurice dePas called: On his Majesty's Service that is full of us 1812ers discussing why we love the hobby. You should pick it up on line.

        JG

        Message 3 of 23 , Oct 8, 2010
          In a message dated 10/7/2010 11:06:51 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
          darrylschneider@... writes:

          Can anyone give me some insight into the life of a War Of 1812 reenactor?
          Why do you do it? Does it interfere with your personal life? How do people
          react when you tell them you are a reenactor? Anything specifically I
          should know about reenactors to make this play authentic?

          It think what you are asking goes way beyond the scope of an email, or even
          several. I imagine you also plan to visit some events in person to hang
          out with some interpreters. Too bad this is posted so late--Mississinewa,
          one of the largest events in North America, is this weekend.

          I do think your take on the subject is interesting--I know of a couple of
          plays in the works about the events themselves, but one along the lines of
          "the play within the play" certainly is a different spin.

          Ann Wass

        • Tim Pickles
          Message 4 of 23 , Oct 8, 2010
            Dear Darryl,

            The ideal thing for you would be to purchace a copy of the DVD 'On His Majesty's Service' Directed by Maurice DePas, this is a documentary about (for the most part) 1812 re-enacting through interviews and candid shots taken at re-enactments, many of the people on this list are in it, including me, but its still very good!

            Message 5 of 23 , Oct 8, 2010
              Don't forget *Sweet Liberty*. It does show a certain side of reenacting
              (especially interaction with Hollywood). On that score, you might want to
              ask around on RevListe for anyone's memories of working on *The
              Patriot*(not spitting nor recommending it as a source on the period;
              merely
              suggesting that mention of it will get you some reactions mostly on-point).
              Both films deal with the American War of Independence, so they aren't
              directly related to 1812 reenacting, but they do offer, at least
              tangentially, some insight into reenactors and how the hobby shapes our
              lives in the real world.

              On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 6:13 PM, Tim Pickles <BritcomHMP@...> wrote:

              > Dear Darryl,
              >
              > The ideal thing for you would be to purchace a copy of the DVD 'On His
              > Majesty's Service' Directed by Maurice DePas, this is a documentary about
              > (for the most part) 1812 re-enacting through interviews and candid shots
              > taken at re-enactments, many of the people on this list are in it, including
              > me, but its still very good!
              >
              > Cheers
              >
              > Tim

              John J. Ogden

            • Tim Pickles
              Message 6 of 23 , Oct 8, 2010
                On that score, you might want to
                sk around on RevListe for anyone's memories of working on *The
                atriot*(not spitting nor recommending it as a source on the period;
                erely
                uggesting that mention of it will get you some reactions mostly on-point).

                Well John,

                I worked on The Patriot (not on set I made all the epaulettes) however I do know that by the middle of the shoot the re-enactors were calling it Sweet Liberty and some of the younger crew members had no idea what they were tal;king about. Personaly I had the Bob Hoskins - Alan Alda conversation with the assistant costume designer, Why are they dressed in red, when they should be in green? Well, if they are not in red the audience won't know they are British!
                Then there was :
                'The director doesn't like that one epaulette look'
                'OK but you know that that is part of the rank structure, junior officer wore one, Majors and above two so if everybody has two there will be no one under the rank of Major'
                'Well that's what he wants!'
                At which point I just said send more cash and started building more epaulettes!

                Cheers,

              • gary beauregard
                Message 7 of 23 , Oct 8, 2010
                  I have some fairly extensive and vivid memories of "The Patriot", since I supplied almost all of the swords, bayonets, and related items. It also taught me not to trust the Sony bean counters, even when you had an iron clad contract, for materials.
                  G. Beauregard

                  Don't forget *Sweet Liberty*.  It does show a certain side of reenacting
                  (especially interaction with Hollywood).  On that score, you might want to
                  ask around on RevListe for anyone's memories of working on *The
                  Patriot*(not spitting nor recommending it as a source on the period;
                  merely
                  suggesting that mention of it will get you some reactions mostly on-point).
                  Both films deal with the American War of Independence, so they aren't
                  directly related to 1812 reenacting, but they do offer, at least
                  tangentially, some insight into reenactors and how the hobby shapes our
                  lives in the real world.

                  On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 6:13 PM, Tim Pickles <BritcomHMP@...> wrote:

                  > Dear Darryl,
                  >
                  > The ideal thing for you would be to purchace a copy of the DVD 'On His
                  > Majesty's Service' Directed by Maurice DePas, this is a documentary about
                  > (for the most part) 1812 re-enacting through interviews and candid shots
                  > taken at re-enactments, many of the people on this list are in it, including
                  > me, but its still very good!
                  >
                  > Cheers
                  >
                  > Tim

                  John J. Ogden

                  ------------------------------------

                     War of 1812 Living History:
                  A wide-ranging information exchange
                  for all participants and supporters

                     Crown Forces Unit Listing:
                          http://1812crownforces.tripod.com
                     American Forces Unit Listing
                          http://usforces1812.tripod.com

                  WAR OF 1812 EVENTS LIST:
                  2010Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Colonel
                  Message 8 of 23 , Oct 8, 2010
                    Your mention of the "Patriot" brought back a memory for me as well. After riding in seven Hollywood films, and with my filming schedule in hand for the "Patriot", I refused to participate in the filming when I saw how they would portray the mounted element of Tarleton's Legion, namely, the burning of the church with the colonials inside.
                    It was the only film ever that I was scheduled for and turned down. What did Mel Gibson say? "It's not history. It's Hollywood".

                    Tom Moore

                    --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, gary beauregard <beau@...> wrote:

                    > I have some fairly extensive and vivid memories of "The Patriot", since I supplied almost all of the swords, bayonets, and related items. It also taught me not to trust the Sony bean counters, even when you had an iron clad contract, for materials.
                    > G. Beauregard

                  • gary beauregard
                    Message 9 of 23 , Oct 9, 2010
                      "The Patriot" was missed named. It should have been called "Mad Max meets Atilla".

                      Beau

                      Your mention of the "Patriot" brought back a memory for me as well. After riding in seven Hollywood films, and with my filming schedule in hand for the "Patriot", I refused to participate in the filming when I saw how they would portray the mounted element of Tarleton's Legion, namely, the burning of the church with the colonials inside.
                      It was the only film ever that I was scheduled for and turned down. What did Mel Gibson say? "It's not history. It's Hollywood".

                      Tom Moore
                    • Victor Suthren
                      Message 10 of 23 , Oct 9, 2010
                        I reacted to "The Patriot" with a similar disgust at its unfair portrayal of the British as essentially SS killers. At work, too, was Mel Gibson's hatred of all things English. There is a common thread in his films: a little guy perseceuted/betrayed by the English establishment. I think of 'Gallipoli', 'The Bounty', 'Braveheart'---always the same theme. He is one angry little fella.....

                        Vic Suthren

                        Your mention of the "Patriot" brought back a memory for me as well. After riding in seven Hollywood films, and with my filming schedule in hand for the "Patriot", I refused to participate in the filming when I saw how they would portray the mounted element of Tarleton's Legion, namely, the burning of the church with the colonials inside.
                        It was the only film ever that I was scheduled for and turned down. What did Mel Gibson say? "It's not history. It's Hollywood".

                        Tom Moore

                        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, gary beauregard <beau@...> wrote:

                        > I have some fairly extensive and vivid memories of "The Patriot", since I supplied almost all of the swords, bayonets, and related items. It also taught me not to trust the Sony bean counters, even when you had an iron clad contract, for materials.
                        > G. Beauregard

                      • royalscotstailor
                        Message 11 of 23 , Oct 9, 2010
                          We're regular people with an interest in history, period clothing, sewing, carpentry among all sorts of trades and occupations. We're doctors, lawyers, accountants, sales associates and technicians. We spend our winters making , cleaning and improving our reenacting stuff, and our summer weekends travelling to sites to entertain ourselves and the public.

                          Reenacting does not get in the way of real life....real life gets in the way of reenacting!

                          We work together as a group to represent historical fact in the face of revisionist history.

                          Cheers,
                          Kevin Garrett CD
                          Pioneer, Grenadier Company Royal Scots 1st Bn
                          Captain(ret'd) CF Army Reserve
                          Senior Locksmith Technician

                          ( see what I mean about the varied background?)

                          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "darrylschneider@..." <darrylschneider@...> wrote:

                          > Hello. My name is Darryl Schneider and I am a playwright with Road Less Traveled Productions in Buffalo, NY.
                          >
                          > I am writing a play about War Of 1812 reenactors who act out
                          > the Burning Of Buffalo. If all goes well, the play will be performed sometime in 2012.
                          >
                          > Can anyone give me some insight into the life of a War Of 1812 reenactor?

                        • Greedo di Avarice
                          Message 12 of 23 , Oct 10, 2010
                            What was the problem you had with the Sony bean counters regarding
                            equipment on "The Patriot?"

                            don stallone

                            --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, gary beauregard <beau@...> wrote:

                            > I have some fairly extensive and vivid memories of "The Patriot",
                            since I supplied almost all of the swords, bayonets, and related items.
                            It also taught me not to trust the Sony bean counters, even when you had
                            an iron clad contract, for materials.
                            > G. Beauregard

                          • Soo
                            Message 13 of 23 , Oct 11, 2010
                              Very well put Kevin!!

                              Sue Too

                              Message 14 of 23 , Oct 15, 2010

                                --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Colonel" <lehrerprofessoren@...>
                                wrote:

                                > Your mention of the "Patriot" brought back a memory for me as well.
                                After riding in seven Hollywood films, and with my filming schedule in
                                hand for the "Patriot", I refused to participate in the filming when I
                                saw how they would portray the mounted element of Tarleton's Legion,
                                namely, the burning of the church with the colonials inside.
                                > It was the only film ever that I was scheduled for and turned down.
                                What did Mel Gibson say? "It's not history. It's Hollywood".

                                > Tom Moore
                                >
                                > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, gary beauregard beau@ wrote:
                                > >
                                > > I have some fairly extensive and vivid memories of "The Patriot",
                                since I supplied almost all of the swords, bayonets, and related items.
                                It also taught me not to trust the Sony bean counters, even when you had
                                an iron clad contract, for materials.
                                > > G. Beauregard

                              • Kevin Windsor
                                Message 15 of 23 , Oct 15, 2010
                                  Might I suggest two things

                                  a) Please clip your messages for those on digest

                                  b) Please take this off list. As it seems you disagree with him and it
                                  looks like a flame war is about to start

                                  Thank you

                                  Kevin Windsor

                                  RNR

                                  --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com <mailto:WarOf1812%40yahoogroups.com> ,
                                  wrote:

                                  > Your mention of the "Patriot" brought back a memory for me as well.
                                  After riding in seven Hollywood films, and with my filming schedule in
                                  hand for the "Patriot", I refused to participate in the filming when I
                                  saw how they would portray the mounted element of Tarleton's Legion,
                                  namely, the burning of the church with the colonials inside.
                                  > It was the only film ever that I was scheduled for and turned down.
                                  What did Mel Gibson say? "It's not history. It's Hollywood".

                                  > Tom Moore

                                  _,_._,___

                                • Dan Wilbanks
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Oct 15, 2010
                                    Darryl,

                                    Once the "cranks" filter out you will find there are some very competent
                                    historians/reenactors are on this list with no particular axe to grind. We
                                    need more folks like you willing to get the word out whatever is produced.

                                    Your timing is good as the bicentennial celebration of the War of 1812
                                    should make it very topical.

                                    At Your Service,

                                    Dan L. Wilbanks
                                    Old Oregon Territory

                                    On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 6:15 PM, darrylschneider@... <
                                    darrylschneider@...> wrote:

                                    > Hello. My name is Darryl Schneider and I am a playwright with Road Less
                                    > Traveled Productions in Buffalo, NY.
                                    >
                                    > I am writing a play about War Of 1812 reenactors who act out
                                    > the Burning Of Buffalo. If all goes well, the play will be performed
                                    > sometime in 2012.
                                    >
                                    > Can anyone give me some insight into the life of a War Of 1812 reenactor?
                                    > Why do you do it? Does it interfere with your personal life? How do people
                                    > react when you tell them you are a reenactor? Anything specifically I should
                                    > know about reenactors to make this play authentic?
                                    >
                                    > Any information will be valuable.
                                    >
                                    > Thank you.
                                    >
                                    > Darryl

                                  • Greedo di Avarice
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Oct 16, 2010
                                      Good idea on the clipping. Thank you.

                                      I do not disagree with him. No flame war.

                                      Quite the contrary, I have information from another source about
                                      "Hollywood" movie makers that supports an attitude of extreme caution
                                      when dealing with them. What I desire is factual information or
                                      objective anecdotes that I can use in my own dealings with movie makers.

                                      Do I really have to learn all the lessons -- and there does seem to be a
                                      boat load -- the hard way? I hope not.

                                      I pose my question a second time because it may have been missed the
                                      first time. If I don't get an answer this time I won't ask him again.

                                      And in light of all that, if you still wish it off list then by all
                                      means I will take it off list.

                                      Peace,
                                      don stallone

                                      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Windsor <kevin.windsor@...>
                                      wrote:

                                      > Might I suggest two things
                                      >
                                      > a) Please clip your messages for those on digest
                                      >
                                      > b) Please take this off list. As it seems you disagree with him
                                      and it
                                      > looks like a flame war is about to start
                                      >
                                      > Thank you
                                      > Kevin Windsor
                                      > RNR

                                    • Tim Pickles
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Oct 16, 2010
                                        Here is one sliver of advice about dealing with movie companies, never forget that their first priority is making a movie not public relations. If you are supplying one of the departments with anything they will be calling you and you will be able to get through to the hed man untill you have supplied the order as soon as you have compled the order you will be passed on to accounting whose first job is not to break his neck spending money. However if you have a few items in hand your department wants and you have corectly worded you agreement, someone from the department you are dealing with will go to the office and bug accounting till they send your check.

                                        It is not that anyone is out to screw you (at least for the vast majority of productions) it is just that they usualy have a boatload of problems and once you are out of their immediate focus you get forgotten about.

                                        Cheers,

                                        wrote:

                                        > Might I suggest two things
                                        >
                                        > a) Please clip your messages for those on digest
                                        >
                                        > b) Please take this off list. As it seems you disagree with him
                                        and it
                                        > looks like a flame war is about to start
                                        >
                                        > Thank you
                                        > Kevin Windsor
                                        > RNR

                                      • James Yaworsky
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Oct 16, 2010
                                          A clarification, Don.

                                          Mr. Windsor is not a moderator of this list, just a valued and esteemed member of the 1812 community. While it is nice you might be willing to go along with his wishes in regards to taking this topic "off list", you certainly don't have to - officially. The moderators of this list didn't see any "flame war" kindling in what you had posted.

                                          There might be many other valued and esteemed members of the 1812 community and this list who would be interested in hearing how this thread develops.

                                          List members who have a problem with something posted by another list member should approach the list moderators for possible action. Doing otherwise can, ironically, be what in fact ends up starting a flame war...

                                          Jim Yaworsky
                                          Moderator

                                          Message 20 of 23 , Oct 16, 2010
                                            Thank you, Dan.
                                            I've gathered some good info. so far from this forum and others. I'm meeting a reenactor from Fort Erie in November. If you or others have recommendations for books on the War Of 1812, in particular the Burning Of Buffalo (my home town, where the play is set in), please let me know.

                                            Take care, sir.
                                            Darryl

                                            Message 21 of 23 , Oct 16, 2010
                                              The following is not to be construed as specific legal counsel or advice,
                                              simply as personal observation.

                                              As a corollary to Mr. Pickles thoughts, sound business practice would urge
                                              that dates for payment be explicitly stated in advance (at the time the sale
                                              is agreed upon). For incidental, one-time sales of physical items, general
                                              practice seems to be to not deliver until payment has been received by the
                                              supplier (goods not be shipped by seller to purchaser until payment has been
                                              received). This precludes having to wait to get paid until the buyer gets
                                              around to cutting you a check. In the case of large purchases, a clause
                                              indicating how much is to be paid at specified dates or intervals might be
                                              in order.

                                              The important thing here is that the terms of sale, including price,
                                              delivery and payment, need to be explicitly stated and agreed to by both
                                              parties in advance. In order to effectuate this, you should consult an
                                              attorney, especially as the Uniform Commercial Code requires that any
                                              agreement for the sale of goods with a combined purchase price over $500
                                              (total value of all goods involved, not any individual item) must be in
                                              written form (a contract).

                                              On Sat, Oct 16, 2010 at 8:31 AM, Tim Pickles <BritcomHMP@...> wrote:

                                              > Here is one sliver of advice about dealing with movie companies, never
                                              > forget that their first priority is making a movie not public relations. If
                                              > you are supplying one of the departments with anything they will be calling
                                              > you and you will be able to get through to the hed man untill you have
                                              > supplied the order as soon as you have compled the order you will be passed
                                              > on to accounting whose first job is not to break his neck spending money.
                                              > However if you have a few items in hand your department wants and you have
                                              > corectly worded you agreement, someone from the department you are dealing
                                              > with will go to the office and bug accounting till they send your check.
                                              >
                                              > It is not that anyone is out to screw you (at least for the vast majority
                                              > of productions) it is just that they usualy have a boatload of problems and
                                              > once you are out of their immediate focus you get forgotten about.
                                              >
                                              > Cheers,
                                              >
                                              > Tim

                                              John J. Ogden

                                            • Joseph
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Oct 17, 2010
                                                Darryl:

                                                If you are going to deal with the Burning of Buffalo in the book, you should also include the events that led up to it, such as the Burning of Newark.

                                                Joe Lischka

                                                --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "darrylschneider@..." <darrylschneider@...> wrote:

                                                > Thank you, Dan.
                                                > I've gathered some good info. so far from this forum and others. I'm meeting a reenactor from Fort Erie in November. If you or others have recommendations for books on the War Of 1812, in particular the Burning Of Buffalo (my home town, where the play is set in), please let me know.
                                                >
                                                > Take care, sir.
                                                > Darryl
                                              • gary beauregard
                                                Message 23 of 23 , Oct 17, 2010
                                                  It is best to act as if the production house IS out to screw you. Experience has taught me that.

                                                  G. Beauregard
                                                  U.S. Sword & Uniform

                                                  From: John Ogden <johnjogden@...>

                                                  The following is not to be construed as specific legal counsel or advice, simply as personal observation.

                                                  As a corollary to Mr. Pickles thoughts, sound business practice would urge   [snip]
                                                  The important thing here is that the terms of sale, including price,
                                                  delivery and payment, need to be explicitly stated and agreed to by both parties in advance.  [snip]