Re: War of 1812 events and bi-cetennials- a question

  • Rachel Coman
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 4, 2010
      Hi Sarah

      Thank you for the links, these are going to prove really useful

      Cheers

      Rachel
       The Napoleonic Association Ltd is a Company limited by guarantee of its
      members and is registered in England under Number 3220598.
      Registered Office: 7 Fairoak Way, Baughurst, Tadley, Hampshire, RG26 5NT

      ________________________________
      From: Colonel <lehrerprofessoren@...>
      To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Thursday, September 30, 2010, 10:55 AM

      Rachel,
      The New Orleans commemorative and Gulf Campaign events will most certainly be
      fantastic and give you a great experience worthy of such a long trip. I would
      suggest also, however, that you consider one or more of the really great
      bicentennial events around Upper Canada and the Chesapeake Bay area that are
      going to happen as well.
      It would be awful to have a wonderful time at New Orleans alone realizing that
      you missed the others. Someone in the "know", hopefully, will be kind enough to
      give you an accurate prediction as to the number of participants expected for
      each in case that would be a consideration for your planning as well.

      Tom
      Tom

      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Rachel Coman <naeventsabroad@...> wrote:

      > Hi there
      >
      > I am currently looking at the overseas events for NA members for 2011 and
      > beyond. There looks to be some really exciting events in North America and
      > Canada, I am hoping to make it out there in 2012.
      >
      > I have been talking to some of our members about the events out here but I
      >would
      >
      > really like perspective from re-enactors based out there on what your favourite
      >
      > events are and which bi-centennials from 1812-1815 you would reccomend the brit
      >
      > based re-enactors attend.
      >
      > Please feel free to contact me off line on
      >
      > naeventsabroad at yahoo.co.uk
      >
      > Thank you
      >
      > Rachel Coman
      >  The Napoleonic Association Ltd is a Company limited by guarantee of its
      > members and is registered in England under Number 3220598.
      > Registered Office: 7 Fairoak Way, Baughurst, Tadley, Hampshire, RG26 5NT

    • shayna121
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 5, 2010
        I wonder if it is time for those of us on this list to begin to put together a list of events for the bicentennial years. In talking with several members, they have already started to indicate that there will be conflicts (mid-June, 2012, for example). Perhaps we could ask someone (*coughDavecough*) to start this list and sites could email them with their plans and links - many do this already for upcoming years, but we need to start thinking further ahead.
        I wonder too, if there's a way to seperate events by region - Great Lakes, Southern US, Chesepeake, St. Lawrence, for example. It would be very handy to be able to see all the events in the Great Lakes region for 2014 at a glance.

        Thanks,

        Chris McKay

      • westhouse03
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 5, 2010
          On the calendar of events that I currently maintain, this (a listing of bicentennial year events) is already in existence. :)
          At the top link see Bicentennial and clicking that takes you to
          http://royal.scots.tripod.com/warof1812eventslist/id12.html

          If you have dates already in mind send them to me and they will be posted. Info on the event with details is good too. I usually post that information here. We've looked at another site for a calendar but the above site offers the simplicity of a list. Links are included when available.

          I'll take a look at putting the list into region listings as well.

          Dave.

          Re: War of 1812 events and bi-centennials- a question

          I wonder if it is time for those of us on this list to begin to put together a list of events for the bicentennial years. In talking with several members, they have already started to indicate that there will be conflicts (mid-June, 2012, for example). Perhaps we could ask someone (*coughDavecough*) to start this list and sites could email them with their plans and links - many do this already for upcoming years, but we need to start thinking further ahead.
          I wonder too, if there's a way to seperate events by region - Great Lakes, Southern US, Chesepeake, St. Lawrence, for example. It would be very handy to be able to see all the events in the Great Lakes region for 2014 at a glance.

          Thanks,

          Chris McKay

          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Rachel Coman <naeventsabroad@...> wrote:

          > Hi Sarah
          >
          > Thank you for the links, these are going to prove really useful
          >
          > Cheers
          >
          > Rachel
          > Â The Napoleonic Association Ltd is a Company limited by guarantee of its
          > members and is registered in England under Number 3220598.
          > Registered Office: 7 Fairoak Way, Baughurst, Tadley, Hampshire, RG26 5NT
        • David Brunelle
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 5, 2010
            The Southern Georgian Bay War of 1812 website will be up and running
            hopefully by the end of the month. I would be happy to include Chris
            suggestion and I could direct our web designer to include it in the design
            as we speak! Let me know!

            David J. Brunelle, OCT

            Project Director

            Southern Georgian Bay

            War of 1812 Committee

            705-716-7124

            --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com <mailto:WarOf1812%40yahoogroups.com> ,
            Rachel Coman <naeventsabroad@...> wrote:

            > Hi Sarah
            >
            > Thank you for the links, these are going to prove really useful
            >
            > Cheers
            >
            > Rachel
            > Â The Napoleonic Association Ltd is a Company limited by guarantee of its
            > members and is registered in England under Number 3220598.
            > Registered Office: 7 Fairoak Way, Baughurst, Tadley, Hampshire, RG26 5NT
            >

            > ________________________________

            York)

            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 5, 2010
              Thanks Dave! Disregard my last offer as it is already being done!

              I will of course provide a link!

              David J. Brunelle, OCT

              Project Director

              Southern Georgian Bay

              War of 1812 Committee

              705-716-7124

              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 5, 2010
                Thanks Dave. I knew we could count on you!

                Sorry I didn't look into this before I sent that message.

                One other thing: I wonder if it would be advantageous to add a star, or bold the events that are actually Bicentennial events. For example, Longwoods on March 8th, 2014 could have a star, but the one in May 2014 is just another event. That way if there's a conflict, someone could quickly see which one is an anniversary event.

                Thanks,

                Chris