Re: War of 1812 events and bi-cetennials- a question

  • annbwass@aol.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 1, 2010
      Checking the calendar, am I correct that this event is to be2013?

      Ann Wass

      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 1, 2010
        Whoops. I should have included the year! It must be my assumption that everyone knows that these battles occured in 1813. Thanks for noticing Ann.

        Ron Dale

        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 1, 2010
          Wow...
          The more I read on this thread the more pumped up I get for the Bicentennial...COUNT ME IN!!!

          YHOS
          C. Murphy
          USS CONSTITUTION 1812 Marine Guard
          USMCHC

          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "ronpontiac" <ronaldjdale@...> wrote:

          > Hello Rachel,
          >
          > There are many exciting War of 1812 events planned in North America during the bicentennial.
          >
          > I am working on an event in the Niagara-Hamilton area along the shores of the Niagara River and Lake Ontario. It will be a 10-day long event with battle re-enactments on two successive weekends at Fort George in Niagara-on-the-Lake near Niagara Falls and Stoney Creek near Hamilton. The event will feature tall ships that will participate in the Battle of Fort George and then sail towards Stoney Creek, with any reenactors who can do so sailing aboard these vessels, stopping each afternoon to set up camp on shore.
          >
          > To date, the outline looks like this:
          >

          > Thursday May 23 Encampment at Fort George and Navy Hall begins
          >
          > Friday May 24 Education Day at Fort George and Navy Hall
          >
          > Saturday May 25 Naval Activities at Navy Hall;
          > Major battle re-enactments and military activities at Fort George and Battlefield of Fort George
          >
          > Sunday May 26 Similar to Saturday
          >
          > Monday May 27 Memorial ceremonies, Battlefield of Fort George; Evening displays at Port Dalhousie for those reenactors (military and naval) able to participate
          >
          > Tuesday May 28 Memorial services, Hamilton and Scourge (sunken US warships) at Port Dalhousie; Evening displays Jordan Harbor
          >
          > Wednesday May 29 Memorial service for the Engagement at the Forty ; Evening displays in the Grimsby Harbor
          >
          > Thursday May 30 Sail to Hamilton Harbor
          >
          > Friday May 31 History in Action Day at Stoney Creek/Hamilton Harbor
          >
          > Saturday June 1 Reenactments and displays; Stoney Creek and Hamilton Harbor
          >
          > Sunday June 2 Reenactments and displays; Stoney Creek and Hamilton Harbor
          >
          > Food, firewood, staw, a powder allowance for guns and stipends to cover the cost of transporting vessels, artillery and horses will be provided.
          >
          > Ron Dale,
          > ron.dale@...

        • Rachel Coman
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 4, 2010
            Hi Sarah

            Thank you for the links, these are going to prove really useful

            Cheers

            Rachel
             The Napoleonic Association Ltd is a Company limited by guarantee of its
            members and is registered in England under Number 3220598.
            Registered Office: 7 Fairoak Way, Baughurst, Tadley, Hampshire, RG26 5NT

            ________________________________
            From: Colonel <lehrerprofessoren@...>
            To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
            Date: Thursday, September 30, 2010, 10:55 AM

            Rachel,
            The New Orleans commemorative and Gulf Campaign events will most certainly be
            fantastic and give you a great experience worthy of such a long trip. I would
            suggest also, however, that you consider one or more of the really great
            bicentennial events around Upper Canada and the Chesapeake Bay area that are
            going to happen as well.
            It would be awful to have a wonderful time at New Orleans alone realizing that
            you missed the others. Someone in the "know", hopefully, will be kind enough to
            give you an accurate prediction as to the number of participants expected for
            each in case that would be a consideration for your planning as well.

            Tom
            Tom

            --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Rachel Coman <naeventsabroad@...> wrote:

            > Hi there
            >
            > I am currently looking at the overseas events for NA members for 2011 and
            > beyond. There looks to be some really exciting events in North America and
            > Canada, I am hoping to make it out there in 2012.
            >
            > I have been talking to some of our members about the events out here but I
            >would
            >
            > really like perspective from re-enactors based out there on what your favourite
            >
            > events are and which bi-centennials from 1812-1815 you would reccomend the brit
            >
            > based re-enactors attend.
            >
            > Please feel free to contact me off line on
            >
            > naeventsabroad at yahoo.co.uk
            >
            > Thank you
            >
            > Rachel Coman
            >  The Napoleonic Association Ltd is a Company limited by guarantee of its
            > members and is registered in England under Number 3220598.
            > Registered Office: 7 Fairoak Way, Baughurst, Tadley, Hampshire, RG26 5NT

          • shayna121
            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 5, 2010
              I wonder if it is time for those of us on this list to begin to put together a list of events for the bicentennial years. In talking with several members, they have already started to indicate that there will be conflicts (mid-June, 2012, for example). Perhaps we could ask someone (*coughDavecough*) to start this list and sites could email them with their plans and links - many do this already for upcoming years, but we need to start thinking further ahead.
              I wonder too, if there's a way to seperate events by region - Great Lakes, Southern US, Chesepeake, St. Lawrence, for example. It would be very handy to be able to see all the events in the Great Lakes region for 2014 at a glance.

              Thanks,

              Chris McKay

            • westhouse03
              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 5, 2010
                On the calendar of events that I currently maintain, this (a listing of bicentennial year events) is already in existence. :)
                At the top link see Bicentennial and clicking that takes you to
                http://royal.scots.tripod.com/warof1812eventslist/id12.html

                If you have dates already in mind send them to me and they will be posted. Info on the event with details is good too. I usually post that information here. We've looked at another site for a calendar but the above site offers the simplicity of a list. Links are included when available.

                I'll take a look at putting the list into region listings as well.

                Dave.

                Re: War of 1812 events and bi-centennials- a question

                I wonder if it is time for those of us on this list to begin to put together a list of events for the bicentennial years. In talking with several members, they have already started to indicate that there will be conflicts (mid-June, 2012, for example). Perhaps we could ask someone (*coughDavecough*) to start this list and sites could email them with their plans and links - many do this already for upcoming years, but we need to start thinking further ahead.
                I wonder too, if there's a way to seperate events by region - Great Lakes, Southern US, Chesepeake, St. Lawrence, for example. It would be very handy to be able to see all the events in the Great Lakes region for 2014 at a glance.

                Thanks,

                Chris McKay

                --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Rachel Coman <naeventsabroad@...> wrote:

                > Hi Sarah
                >
                > Thank you for the links, these are going to prove really useful
                >
                > Cheers
                >
                > Rachel
                > Â The Napoleonic Association Ltd is a Company limited by guarantee of its
                > members and is registered in England under Number 3220598.
                > Registered Office: 7 Fairoak Way, Baughurst, Tadley, Hampshire, RG26 5NT
              • David Brunelle
                Message 7 of 16 , Oct 5, 2010
                  The Southern Georgian Bay War of 1812 website will be up and running
                  hopefully by the end of the month. I would be happy to include Chris
                  suggestion and I could direct our web designer to include it in the design
                  as we speak! Let me know!

                  David J. Brunelle, OCT

                  Project Director

                  Southern Georgian Bay

                  War of 1812 Committee

                  705-716-7124

                  --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com <mailto:WarOf1812%40yahoogroups.com> ,
                  Rachel Coman <naeventsabroad@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Sarah
                  >
                  > Thank you for the links, these are going to prove really useful
                  >
                  > Cheers
                  >
                  > Rachel
                  > Â The Napoleonic Association Ltd is a Company limited by guarantee of its
                  > members and is registered in England under Number 3220598.
                  > Registered Office: 7 Fairoak Way, Baughurst, Tadley, Hampshire, RG26 5NT
                  >

                  > ________________________________

                  York)

                  Message 8 of 16 , Oct 5, 2010
                    Thanks Dave! Disregard my last offer as it is already being done!

                    I will of course provide a link!

                    David J. Brunelle, OCT

                    Project Director

                    Southern Georgian Bay

                    War of 1812 Committee

                    705-716-7124

                    Message 9 of 16 , Oct 5, 2010
                      Thanks Dave. I knew we could count on you!

                      Sorry I didn't look into this before I sent that message.

                      One other thing: I wonder if it would be advantageous to add a star, or bold the events that are actually Bicentennial events. For example, Longwoods on March 8th, 2014 could have a star, but the one in May 2014 is just another event. That way if there's a conflict, someone could quickly see which one is an anniversary event.

                      Thanks,

                      Chris