Commissariat Stores: checked and striped cloth

  • ronpontiac
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 28, 2010
      I have been looking at memorials by officers of the 41st Regiment explaining the loss of stores assigned to their companies. This has proven to be most intriguing. The troops retreating from the Detroit frontier hauled any number of bundles and barrels of commissariat stores with them on their retreat, only to have this stuff captured or destroyed by the Americans at the Battle of the Thames.

      Among the stuff hauled along were 576 yards of wide checked cotton, 392 yards of narrow check cotton, 109 yards of striped cotton, 90 yards of brown holland, huge quantities of grey cloth, white flannel, yellow flannel, made up shirts cotton and linnen, felt caps, arms chests, stores chests and ammunition boxes, military shoes, mocassins (hundreds of pairs), worsted stockings, etc. etc.

      More was lost at Fort Erie including a number of officers' silver belt plates.

      The information is in RG 8, C913 and C914.

      Ron Dale