US Army or Navy Pattern 1810 Regimental Pattern

  • dlwilbanks
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 9, 2010
      To the list,

      I vaguely remember reading where the uniform standard changed just prior to the War of 1812.

      Anyone know a more detailed history of the change (pre 1812) and where I might find a pattern or detail on the uniforms?

      My first preference is Army but interested in Navy as well. Thanks in advance.

      At you service,

      Dan L. Wilbanks
      Old Oregon Territory
    • Mark Dickerson
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 9, 2010
        You can try the US 19th website. They have a list of online patterns and
        suppliers of all the different pieces of the US infantry uniform.

        Mark Dickerson

        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 10, 2010
          Mark,

          Thanks for the referral. The site had very good information with a number of
          good patterns. It seems the current difference from the 1808/10 period
          versus the 1812 is the cut of the Regimental, height of the collar (shorter
          than the 1812) Facing colors and some silver trim (on Officers).

          To date the most detail has been from two sources comparing the Uniforms of
          the Lewis and Clark period as they would often reference the later (1810)
          slight differences.

          It seems in terms the changes (noticeable ones) seem to me to be in three
          general periods:

          1802 - 1810 - Still Vestiges of the Rev War influence in cut, Blue with Red
          facings, transition to Chapeau Bras from the classic Tricorn
          1811 - 1812 - More Napoleonic in style - Square cut with shorter tails and
          high collar, pseudo braiding on chest, standardized buttons
          1813 - 1815 - Seems to become much more European, tight fitting trousers,
          More trim/braiding, ?

          Please feel free to comment.

          At Your Service,

          Dan L. Wilbanks