Backus Mills

  • Larry
    Message 1 of 24 , Sep 6, 2010
      Greatings Everyone
      We have just completed our final planning meeting for the
      Backus event. Registrations are 350 in number.
      This means that their are 350 meal tickets available for
      Saturdays dinner<those who pre registered.>
      We will try to accomodate the Walk on's etc. but cannot
      Guarantee that you will be fed .
      Also For those used to Ant Erie's Kitchen, will not be
      availible this time around. Only ice cream and drinks
      are to be served.
      You may set up your camps any time on Friday Am or Pm.
      There are three battle scenario's and one skirmish planned
      for this weekend.
      There are 19 sutlers registered for Backus. Why are their
      tent sizes expanding every year......?
      Best regards Larry Hanna
      Norfolk Militia Heritage Regiment
    • RogerH11
      Message 2 of 24 , Sep 10, 2010
        Thanks Larry.

        Is there a schedule available?

        Roger

        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Larry" <capt_haha@...> wrote:

        > Greatings Everyone
        > We have just completed our final planning meeting for the
        > Backus event. Registrations are 350 in number.
        > This means that their are 350 meal tickets available for
        > Saturdays dinner<those who pre registered.>
        > We will try to accomodate the Walk on's etc. but cannot
        > Guarantee that you will be fed .
        > Also For those used to Ant Erie's Kitchen, will not be
        > availible this time around. Only ice cream and drinks
        > are to be served.
        > You may set up your camps any time on Friday Am or Pm.
        > There are three battle scenario's and one skirmish planned
        > for this weekend.
        > There are 19 sutlers registered for Backus. Why are their
        > tent sizes expanding every year......?
        > Best regards Larry Hanna
        > Norfolk Militia Heritage Regiment

      • tom4141fournier
        Message 3 of 24 , Sep 10, 2010
          There is a good chance that Larry is in transit or at the site already.

          Here is something that I pulled off a message that was circulating on Facebook:

          Schedule of Events

          Friday September 10th

          Registration Open - Each person must register to receive information
          package,parking pass and sign photo waiver 9:00 am - 1:00 am

          Saturday September 11th

          Free coffee available in the Forbes Barn 6:00 am - 10:00 am

          Officers' Call - Cherry Valley School 9:00 am

          Encampments, Sutlers Row and Heritage Village Open 10:00 am
          Conservation Education Centre and Backhouse Mill Open 10:00 am

          Morning Parade and Inspection 10:00 am

          Ice Delivery for pre-orders - parking lot beside Aunt Erie's Kitchen

          10:00 am Public Tour - meet at the Homestead (particpants will be led to
          skirmish site) 10:15 am
          Skirmish down by the Backhouse Mill & Mill Pond 11:00 am
          Grist Mill Tour (following skirmish) 11:45 am
          Gun Fire & Musket Demonstration - Field in front of Militia Cabin 12:00 pm
          Heritage Village Tour - meet at Heritage Building 1:00 pm
          Battle Re-enactment - Heritage Village 2:00 pm
          Village Tour resumes - meet at Cherry Valley Schoolhouse 3:00 pm
          Meet the Surgeons - Cherry Valley Schoolhouse 3:00 pm
          Demonstration - Dyeing Techniques, Evelyn Franklin Weavers' Guild - Herb Garden
          3:00 pm
          Mini Militia - Forbes Barn 3:30 pm
          Encampments, Sutlers Row and All Buildings Close 4:00 pm
          Ice Delivery for pre-orders - parking lot beside Aunt Erie's Kitchen 4:00 pm
          Dinner - Please bring your own dishes, Forbes Barn 6:00 pm (tickets required)
          Speed Loading Competition - Field in front of Militia Cabin 7:00 pm
          Guided Cemetery Walk with Wanda Backus-Kelly - meet at Forbes Barn 7:00 pm
          Rounders - All Welcome. Valley area below Cherry Valley Schoolhouse 7:30 pm
          Regency Dance, music by Joe Rohrer - Forbes Barn 8:30 pm

          Sunday September 12th

          Free coffee available in the Forbes Barn 6:00 am - 10:00 am
          Morning Skirmish 8:30 am
          Offi cers' Call - Cherry Valley School 9:30 am
          Encampments, Sutlers Row and Heritage Village Open 10:00 am
          Conservation Education Centre and Backhouse Mill Open 10:00 am
          Morning Parade and Inspection 10:00 am
          Church Service led by Rev. Marc Bertrand 41st Regiment of Foot - Teeterville
          Church 10:00 am
          Ice Delivery for pre-orders - parking lot beside Aunt Erie's Kitchen 10:00 am
          Gun Fire & Musket Demonstration - Field in front of Militia Cabin 12:00 pm
          Native Allies Demonstration - location TBD 1:00 pm
          Battle Re-enactment in the Heritage Village 2:00 pm
          Demonstration - Dyeing Techniques, Evelyn Franklin Weavers' Guild - Herb Garden
          3:00 pm
          Mini Militia - Forbes Barn 3:30 pm
          Encampments, Sutlers Row and All Buildings Close 4:00 pm
          Watch for a variety of special activities taking place throughout
          the Heritage Village during the weekend including:
          Kazoo show by Sutler Cyrus • Story telling with Shaymus • Pottery work by Sutler
          Penni Stoddart
          • Blacksmithing demonstration by Joe Arnold & Kent Williams •
          • Antique Gun display each day from 10 am - 4 pm •
          • Evelyn Franklin Weavers' Guild spinning and weaving demonstrations in the
          Weaving Shoppe •
        • roy winders
          Message 4 of 24 , Sep 10, 2012
            On behalf of The British Indian Dept. I wish to thank the volunteers and staff of Backus Mills,
            Robin, who seemed to be in more than one place at all times,
            the officers and men from both sides of the line for making the battle scenarios so much fun,
            our neighbours the Imuc who most graciously welcomed us into their fold.
            Last but not least, my men who always make me proud on the field.

            Roy Winders, Capt. B.I.D.