Re: 1812 Interpreting Anomolies

  • petemonahan
    Message 1 of 29 , Sep 6, 2010
      In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Tim Pickles <BritcomHMP@...> wrote:

      I have to say I agree 100% Vic.

      "The question has to be what are we doing? Are we presenting an authentic slice of history to the public, warts and all..., Frankly what is the point of putting on an historical educational interpretation for the public if it has to be explained at the outset that to appease modern sensibilities what the audience is about to see is neither historical nor educational?"

      I think Vic's idea of offering an equal number of jobs, assuming eqaul numbers of qualified applicants, is a great one, and I'm ashamed to say it never occurred to me. I also totally agree that we need to portray history with its warts on - that's why we do need to say, among other things, that 'No, there were no female soldiers. Yes, many of the people we portray were racist, sexist etc etc." And don't you think some of the 15 year old ensigns in British regiments had soprano voice
      s?

      We all love to tell the 'stupid tourist' stories - I certainly do - but if you assume that our audience will overlook the modern glasses, good teeth, lack of smallpox scars, beards, pot bellies, and grey hair why is it so hard to accept that they might overlook, or ignore as irrelevant, a peair of breasts and a high voice? In fact, an all male group of soldiers, in my experience, simply reinforces a still common view that war is a manly occupation, unless and until someone points out that there are no women in the group and explains or asks why that is so!

      And please, let's not get into the 'slippery slope' argument. Suggesting that anyone is seriously proposing wheelchair mounted infantry is on a par with suggesting we should all get our fillings pulled and our foreskins reattached and be exposed to the lash and cholera morbus - just silly!

      Ducking for cover now! (VBG)
    • Tim Pickles
      Message 2 of 29 , Sep 6, 2010
        petemonahan petemonahan@... wrote:

        I think Vic's idea of offering an equal number of jobs, assuming eqaul numbers of qualified applicants, is a great one, and I'm ashamed to say it never occurred to me. I also totally agree that we need to portray history with its warts on - that's why we do need to say, among other things, that 'No, there were no female soldiers. Yes, many of the people we portray were racist, sexist etc etc." And don't you think some of the 15 year old ensigns in British regiments had soprano voice
        s?

        Well Peter,

        Personaly I think it is more educational if someone in the crowd asks 'why are there no women in the ranks?' And before we start condemning the people we portray for all kinds of 'isms' I think we need to remember that they were not people of the early 21st century and for there time might be considered very free thinking and modern. I am sure that some 15 year old ensigns did have high voices, however I have yet to see a woman playing that part. I think many of the ladies on the field seem to take on the part of a private in the line and, as I said, if they can carry this off without being detected (and I have seen it done) I have no objection whatsoever!

        And please, let's not get into the 'slippery slope' argument. Suggesting that anyone is seriously proposing wheelchair mounted infantry is on a par with suggesting we should all get our fillings pulled and our foreskins reattached and be exposed to the lash and cholera morbus - just silly!

        Ah well, interestingly I can remembery how various friends and I laughed like drains when politcaly correct laguage started apearing in the 1970s 'Oh look at the workpersonship of this chair' 'I suppose now we will have to call the mail man the person person' and such like well isn't the joke on us. As I said, the chap may well have been pulling my chain but the chap in the wheel chair (who could just get about on crutches) said that he thought it was unfair he couldn't go on the field as a soldier, true story! As for teeth, no problem, if you are that close to the crowd you can use makeup, and if you realy want to add to the effect, eat a cheese and onion sandwitch before giving your talk. You don't actualy have to have the diseases to present them to the public but, if you are in close proximity to the public why do somthing that everyone (but those who have come to learn and enjoy) knows is just plain wrong?
        Oh and another point on the wheelchair thing, I suppose you know there are historic buildings, or parts of them, that are not open to the public any more because they cannot be made wheelchair accessable?

        Frankly I can't see a reason to exclude anyone from our hobby, I cannot think of any disability, other than having to remain in a hospital bed or perminantly on oxigen, that would hold someone back from being a great asset to the hobby but one has to cut ones cloth apropriatly, though I confess a 350lb 50 year old turning out as a cornet of hussars might be fun to see!

        Aye,

      • Colonel
        Message 3 of 29 , Sep 7, 2010
          Mr. Monahan,
          While I agree completely with what you, Vic, and Gen. Pickles have been saying on this subject, I really wish you had not said,"...war is a manly occupation..."
          I'm afraid you would have to explain that to the woman warriors of the Israeli army, the Chinese army, and most of the armed forces of the world. From recent history, one must remember the gallant female partisans of occupied France, Poland, Yugoslavia, Soviet Union, Norway, China, Philippines, not to mention the Viet Cong, and the list goes on and on. We don't like to note it, but women are a key component of every terrorist army and strike force in the world today. Women have showed all through history that they could, and can, fight, kill, and serve fearlessly as well as any man. If one throws in the weight and strength factor that so many like to bring up, I would say this. I was a combat Marine at around 175 pounds and always felt pretty tough. But, I promise you I would never want to meet some 6'3" enemy at 250 pounds in hand to hand. (thank goodness for bullets and that my war was against smaller people) However, that doesn't mean that I, or a woman fighter, could not bring him down at a distance. And, it doesn't matter what gender you are when rockets start walking in on your position.
          So, like I said, I agree with what you guys are saying insofar as the hobby and historic accuracy is concerned. But, you can really open a can of worms with remarks like that above, and it weakens your argument.
          OK, go back to ducking lol.

          Tom Moore

          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "petemonahan" <petemonahan@...> wrote:

          > In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Tim Pickles <BritcomHMP@> wrote:
          >
          > I have to say I agree 100% Vic.
          >
          > "The question has to be what are we doing? Are we presenting an authentic slice of history to the public, warts and all..., Frankly what is the point of putting on an historical educational interpretation for the public if it has to be explained at the outset that to appease modern sensibilities what the audience is about to see is neither historical nor educational?"
          >
          > I think Vic's idea of offering an equal number of jobs, assuming eqaul numbers of qualified applicants, is a great one, and I'm ashamed to say it never occurred to me. I also totally agree that we need to portray history with its warts on - that's why we do need to say, among other things, that 'No, there were no female soldiers. Yes, many of the people we portray were racist, sexist etc etc." And don't you think some of the 15 year old ensigns in British regiments had soprano voice
          > s?
          >
          > We all love to tell the 'stupid tourist' stories - I certainly do - but if you assume that our audience will overlook the modern glasses, good teeth, lack of smallpox scars, beards, pot bellies, and grey hair why is it so hard to accept that they might overlook, or ignore as irrelevant, a peair of breasts and a high voice? In fact, an all male group of soldiers, in my experience, simply reinforces a still common view that war is a manly occupation, unless and until someone points out that there are no women in the group and explains or asks why that is so!
          >
          > And please, let's not get into the 'slippery slope' argument. Suggesting that anyone is seriously proposing wheelchair mounted infantry is on a par with suggesting we should all get our fillings pulled and our foreskins reattached and be exposed to the lash and cholera morbus - just silly!
          >
          > Ducking for cover now! (VBG)

        • peter monahan
          Message 4 of 29 , Sep 7, 2010
            Tom

            I knew I shoulda kept my mouth shut on this topic. I never learn!!

            But, if you read the post again I said that nit was still [sadly] a common idea that soldiering is men's work. Didn't mean I think so at all. I don't. In fact, to quote Rudyard kipling "The female of the species is more deadly than the male." And the species in question was Hiomo Sapiens!

            Have a great winter!

            Peter petemonahan@...
            705-435-0953h / 705-792-8895c

> [...]
            > >
            > > We all love to tell the 'stupid tourist' stories - I certainly do - but if you assume that our audience will overlook the modern glasses, good teeth, lack of smallpox scars, beards, pot bellies, and grey hair why is it so hard to accept that they might overlook, or ignore as irrelevant, a peair of breasts and a high voice? In fact, an all male group of soldiers, in my experience, simply reinforces a still common view that war is a manly occupation, unless and until someone points out that there are no women in the group and explains or asks why that is so!
            > >
            > > And please, let's not get into the 'slippery slope' argument. Suggesting that anyone is seriously proposing wheelchair mounted infantry is on a par with suggesting we should all get our fillings pulled and our foreskins reattached and be exposed to the lash and cholera morbus - just silly!

          • Tim Pickles
            Message 5 of 29 , Sep 7, 2010
              I'm afraid you would have to explain that to the woman warriors of the Israeli army, the Chinese army, and most of the armed forces of the world. From recent history, one must remember the gallant female partisans of occupied France, Poland, Yugoslavia, Soviet Union, Norway, China, Philippines, not to mention the Viet Cong, and the list goes on and on. We don't like to note it, but women are a key component of every terrorist army and strike force in the world today. Women have showed all through history that they could, and can, fight, kill, and serve fearlessly as well as any man.

              And Tom, don't forget Lakshmi Bai, Maharani of Jansi who led a rebelion in India and died in hand to hand combat with a trooper of the 3rd LD, or Elizabeth I, who could be left unmoved by her famous speech at Tilbury (paraphrase) 'I have come to live or die with my people, I may have the body of a weak and feeble woman but I have the heart and stomach of a King, aye and a King of England too!'
              The Spanish didn't stand a chance.

              Aye,

            • Tim Pickles
              Message 6 of 29 , Sep 7, 2010
                But, if you read the post again I said that nit was still [sadly] a common idea that soldiering is men's work. Didn't mean I think so at all. I don't. In fact, to quote Rudyard kipling "The female of the species is more deadly than the male." And the species in question was Hiomo Sapiens!

                Have a great winter!

                Peter

                Thinking of Kipling,

                When you're wounded,
                And lie on Afghanistan's plain's
                And the women come out
                To cut up what remains
                Just roll on your Martini
                And blow out your brains
                And go to your God like a soldier.

                Soldier of the Queen

              • Ron
                Message 7 of 29 , Sep 7, 2010
                  Hi Soo,

                  I think that the idea of a part of the encampment representing a nearby town is a brilliant concept. Merchants, civilians, craftspersons etc that do not really fit into the scenario of troops on campaign would fit very well into this encampment. Interpreting this is a question of letting the visitors know that there were not civilian encampments on battlefields but that the civilian "village" is representing some activities that took place in some of the towns and villages at the time of the War of 1812.

                  I personally think that having women in the ranks in battle scenarios is fine. I also strongly support all of the non-military activities at reenactments--always providing that they are interpreted to the public. My personal bugbear is when a lady in the encampment is asked about her role and she answers that camp followers, suttlers etc were a normal part of 1812 campaigning--or worse when a woman in the ranks on being asked suggests that this was a common occurence. There may have been the odd woman in the ranks in 1812 but her own comrades did not recognize her as a woman, These were manly looking babes--unlike Bob on "Blackadder Goes Forth."

                  The key to all of this is that anomolies are expected--it is a hobby and partipants want to enjoy themselves while providing an educational experience. They should, however, interpret the anomolies to the public so the public is not misinformed. It took women centuries to struggle for equality and the youth of today should know how things have changed.

                  Ron

                  Message 8 of 29 , Sep 7, 2010
                    Facial hair.. (sigh!)

                    Well, let's remember that this is a hobby and by that I mean most of us
                    spend the bulk of our time in "real life". It doesn't mean we don't care,
                    just that there are more important things which may dictate whether we are
                    strictly appropriate or not.

                    For those who make a living at this, like actors or site staff, then it
                    might be different.

                    I appreciate the discussion, and we should certainly strive for accuracy as
                    much as we can, but let's not get silly about this.

                    "Major" Tom

                    _____

                    Message 9 of 29 , Sep 7, 2010
                      I agree with Tom. I'd sooner give up doing certain periods than alter who I am, in the real world.

                      Beau

> [...]

                      This fine unit had some authenticity issues (chromed bayonets, modern hair
                      styles, etc) but were a superb drill unit moving toward high levels of
                      historical value as a demonstration of 1860s drill and tactics. The NDP
                      government of the Province of Ontario, however, forced the introduction of
                      women into the Guard, citing gender equality in hiring as the reason. Women
                      were introduced into a military presentation seen at close range where they
                      never would have been found in 1867 due to limits on women's opportunities.
                      Historical accuracy was given up in favour of the standards of the late 20th
                      Century---when the standards of the 19th Century were supposedly the purpose
                      of the Guard. Should this have happened?

                      > Wouldn't allowing men and women to participate but still requiring
                      gender-appropriate impressions still be inclusive? Otherwise, shouldn't we

                    • spikeyj
                      Message 10 of 29 , Sep 8, 2010
                        > Sometimes historical realities are distorted
                        > deliberately to meet
                        > current political ideology, however, in site-sponsored
                        > "re-enactment' units.
                        > A glaring example of this was the Fort Henry Guard of
                        > Kingston, Ontario.
                        > This fine unit had some authenticity issues (chromed
                        > bayonets, modern hair
                        > styles, etc) but were a superb drill unit moving toward
                        > high levels of
                        > historical value as a demonstration of 1860s drill and
                        > tactics. The NDP
                        > government of the Province of Ontario, however, forced
                        > the introduction of
                        > women into the Guard, citing gender equality in hiring as
                        > the reason. Women
                        > were introduced into a military presentation seen at
                        > close range where they
                        > never would have been found in 1867 due to limits on
                        > women's opportunities.
                        > Historical accuracy was given up in favour of the
                        > standards of the late 20th
                        > Century---when the standards of the 19th Century were
                        > supposedly the purpose
                        > of the Guard. Should this have happened?
                        >
                        > Wouldn't allowing men and women to participate but
                        > still requiring
                        > gender-appropriate impressions still be inclusive?
                        > Otherwise, shouldn't we
                        > have men in women's clothing?

                        One problem with allowing men and women to participate at
                        Old Fort Henry but only in gender-appropriate impressions
                        is that the Guard has dozens of members. Since the reason
                        for the inclusion of women in the Guard was gender
                        equality, in order to achieve the same numbers in
                        gender-appropriate impressions they'd had to set up a
                        commercial bakery in the fort, with dozens of women baking
                        loaf after loaf of bread at a long line of ovens --
                        preferably as a precision drill exercise.

                        Spike Y Jones
                      • Victor Suthren
                        Message 11 of 29 , Sep 8, 2010
                          I guess it's always a question of degree. There is a spectrum of re-enactment that goes from the hard-core, skin-out 'authentic' fanatic across to the "polyester pirate" held together with Velcro. It's always struck me that re-enactors need to remember that what they do is for the other guy to experience the 'reality' of the past as much as for himself. I know I've had the sinking feeling of a moment spoiled when in, say, an 1812 tactical evolution in a pristine setting that was beautifully unfolding like a 19th Century watercolour, a large, potbellied "light infantryman" waddles in to the scene with sunglasses, a full beard, and a don't-mess-with-me attitude (the dreaded BBB re-enactor), and the precious illusion of the past, conjured for a moment, is gone. It's only a hobby, and the guy has a right to be there, of course, but....(sigh)....

                          Vic Suthren

> [...]

                          This fine unit had some authenticity issues (chromed bayonets, modern hair
                          styles, etc) but were a superb drill unit moving toward high levels of
                          historical value as a demonstration of 1860s drill and tactics. The NDP
                          government of the Province of Ontario, however, forced the introduction of
                          women into the Guard, citing gender equality in hiring as the reason. Women
                          were introduced into a military presentation seen at close range where they
                          never would have been found in 1867 due to limits on women's opportunities.
                          Historical accuracy was given up in favour of the standards of the late 20th
                          Century---when the standards of the 19th Century were supposedly the purpose
                          of the Guard. Should this have happened?

                          > Wouldn't allowing men and women to participate but still requiring
                          gender-appropriate impressions still be inclusive? Otherwise, shouldn't we

                        • larrylozon
                          Message 12 of 29 , Sep 8, 2010
                            Ladies and Gentlemen of this Yahoo Group

                            If you visit the archives you will see that this debate of Women portraying Soldiers at 1812 re-enactments has been debated to it's limits.

                            If the debate is to keep Jim happy that his Yahoo Group is functioning, by all mean continue.

                            If it is to arrive at a solution "forget-about-it"

                            In the War of 1812 women did not join the arm ... there may be a few instances where females fought but it was not the norm. At least what I have been told.

                            It is great to talk of woman warriors but not in 1812 – 1815
                            Is it not the time period we do?

                            We cannot agree on hand sewn clothes, strait last shoes, wool versus canvas, facial hair ... so why should we be able to agree on female soldiers!

                            The narrators at events have told the spectators that some of what they will see is not historically correct but the spectator and news reporters do not listen to what the narrators say.

                            In a few weeks I will attend Mississinewa 1812 where I will narrate five or so tacticals and when I am through narrating there will always be a spectator who will come up to me and ask if a certain red/green coated regiment was at the original battle and I will tell them that the original battle was between USA Forces and Indians there were no Crown Forces in attendance.

                            Every spectator is given a brochure on entrance which has the historical account of the Battle of Mississinewa but they don't read it or listen to what the narrator say.

                            As this hobby slowly winds down for 2010 and we look forward to 2011 we can come up with many excuses why we do what we do. Shall we do the War of 1812 historically accurate as far as can be reasonably achieved `NO' we will always say we don't have the pox, dysentery, etc. but not all soldiers in the War of 1812 had those diseases, none of the solders smoked filter tipped, store bought cigarettes!

                            There I have entered the minefield ! :^)
                            ... but it's only a hobby !!!

                            So, as was said, "OK, go back to ducking"

                            Yrs.,
                            L2

                            --- "Victor Suthren" wrote:

                            "... There is a spectrum of re-enactment that goes from the hard
                            core, skin-out 'authentic' fanatic across to the "polyester pirate" held together with Velcro ... and ... It's only a hobby ..."
                          • adjutant1812
                            Message 13 of 29 , Sep 8, 2010
                              But no one can justify a full beard for 1812 by any stretch (pioneers/sappers and voyageur types excepted). >
                              > Peter Butrite
                              > Maryland

                              Peter,

                              As someone who spent a number of years interpreting voyageurs I wish to add that while facial hair is very common among reeactors in that set as well it is also not correct. A review of period paintings of voyageurs will show that there are no beards etc. Many years ago a fur trade historian challenged us on a number of myths of the fur trade. We were unable to prove him wrong. Many of us changed our interpretation based upon this challenge. Our focus was Midwest Fur trade of the early 19th century. Note to all, I am referring to voyageurs, not mountain men. The more specific of an interpretation one engages in the more the details can become important.

                              I believe that our interpretation and equipment should change based upon ongoing research and a desire to improve.

                              Cheers
                              Jas
                            • annbwass@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 29 , Sep 8, 2010
                                I posted this a while ago, but will mention it again. Sally Queen compiled a continuum of accuracy in interpretation. It is up to everyone (and/or the sites where they interpret) to decide where along the continuum they will be. As to shaving, I'm not convinced that every man shaved every day--however, that being said, I realize there is a difference between 3 days of stubble and a full beard.

                                My husband, bless his soul, only comes out for a couple of events a year (and he does not do a military impression.) He absolutely refuses to shave his beard. But I would rather have him at said events (especially our 12th Night Ball--he is an accomplished dance master) with a beard than not there at all. Hoped we could make him a Jewish merchant--we know there were some in Baltimore--but alas! pictoral evidence indicates they were also clean-shaven.

                                When it comes down to it, we just can't be 100% accurate. Even if fellows are young enough to be creditable soldiers, for example, their body build and posture aren't usually accurate. (Think of Yul Brynner as Jean Lafitte in "The Buccaneer"--those shoulders!)

                                But I do agree that, in all too many cases, spectators remember the exceptions or inaccuracies rather than what we are trying to convey.

                                Ann Wass

                                But no one can justify a full beard for 1812 by any stretch (pioneers/sappers and voyageur types excepted). >
                                > Peter Butrite
                                > Maryland

                                Peter,

                                As someone who spent a number of years interpreting voyageurs I wish to add that while facial hair is very common among reeactors in that set as well it is also not correct. A review of period paintings of voyageurs will show that there are no beards etc. Many years ago a fur trade historian challenged us on a number of myths of the fur trade. We were unable to prove him wrong. Many of us changed our interpretation based upon this challenge. Our focus was Midwest Fur trade of the early 19th century. Note to all, I am referring to voyageurs, not mountain men. The more specific of an interpretation one engages in the more the details can become important.

                                I believe that our interpretation and equipment should change based upon ongoing research and a desire to improve.

                                Cheers
                                Jas

                              • James Yaworsky
                                Message 15 of 29 , Sep 8, 2010
                                  --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "spikeyj" <spikeyj@...> wrote:
                                  Since the reason
                                  > for the inclusion of women in the Guard was gender
                                  > equality, in order to achieve the same numbers in
                                  > gender-appropriate impressions they'd had to set up a
                                  > commercial bakery in the fort, with dozens of women baking
                                  > loaf after loaf of bread at a long line of ovens --

                                  Come, come, my good man! Surely this admittedly bizarre scenario need not occur!

                                  Why, there is also a great need for a fully-functioning laundry as well. And there are floors to be mopped, and "night soil" containers to be emptied!

                                  And dare I suggest some "ladies of the night" doing a few day jobs, perhaps servicing the needs of some of the men who were on sentry duty the night before?

                                  "Mad Dog"
                                • Charlie Quesenberry
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Sep 8, 2010
                                    Well said, sir. Am taking razor in hand Friday evening and de-bearding
                                    myself for Defender's Day Weekend. Its not that I want to, but it grows
                                    back.

                                    As one far wiser than I said; "One cannot make a second first impression."
                                    I think that is appropros towards those whom we are trying hard to educate
                                    beyond the Hollywood version(s).

                                    On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 5:14 PM, qayanguaq <pbutrite@...> wrote:

                                    > Some of us appear to have adopted a replacement for the venerable
                                    > expression "Far be it...". That is - "Don't let me ruin your 1812
                                    > experience". Happily, it's a razor that cuts both ways. On the one
                                    > hand it implies: I value your contribution/participation; you have to
                                    > decide what your own "best level of effort" will be; etc. On the other,
                                    > it suggests that you ought consider the effect your choices are having
                                    > on my 1812 experience. I'm just hoping to remind folks that reducing
                                    > the most glaring - and easily fixed - anomaly may represent the best
                                    > value here (best "bang for the buck" if you like).
                                    >
                                    > For myself, I'm as swaddled in cotton as any wealthy Gentleman.
                                    > Clearly not period common or correct. But at a few yards distance, that
                                    > doesn't detract substantially from anyone's view. For those committed
                                    > to appropriate fabric construction, may you reap the accolades you
                                    > deserve. For us lesser mortals, let us gin up as much respect for our
                                    > fellow participants as possible. For me that means putting up the best
                                    > presentation I can, despite seeming to be not "who I am in the real
                                    > world". However, the transient effects of that appearance indeed does
                                    > reflect who I am in the "real world" - a part time, bald-faced
                                    > historical interpreter. Every "hobby" involves some suffering -
                                    > financial, temporal, physical...or all the above. I don't really
                                    > understand how we, who spend thousands of dollars plus years of research
                                    > and collecting effort to put together good kit, are willing to blot that
                                    > out thoroughly with a bogus, furry visage. But don't let me ruin your
                                    > 1812 experience...
                                    >
                                    > To paraphrase one of my colleagues -
                                    > I remain, in the hope of comforting the disturbed and disturbing the
                                    > comfortable,
                                    >
                                    > Peter Butrite
                                    > Nottingham, Maryland
                                    >
                                    > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com <WarOf1812%40yahoogroups.com>, "Victor
                                    > Suthren" <suthren@...> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > I guess it's always a question of degree. There is a spectrum of
                                    > re-enactment that goes from the hard-core, skin-out 'authentic' fanatic
                                    > across to the "polyester pirate" held together with Velcro. It's always
                                    > struck me that re-enactors need to remember that what they do is for the
                                    > other guy to experience the 'reality' of the past as much as for
                                    > himself. I know I've had the sinking feeling of a moment spoiled when
                                    > in, say, an 1812 tactical evolution in a pristine setting that was
                                    > beautifully unfolding like a 19th Century watercolour, a large,
                                    > potbellied "light infantryman" waddles in to the scene with sunglasses,
                                    > a full beard, and a don't-mess-with-me attitude (the dreaded BBB
                                    > re-enactor), and the precious illusion of the past, conjured for a
                                    > moment, is gone. It's only a hobby, and the guy has a right to be there,
                                    > of course, but....(sigh)....
                                    > >
                                    > > Vic Suthren

                                  • Tom Hurlbut
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Sep 8, 2010
                                      It may not be that simple for some to give up elements of their real life to
                                      the hobby. If you have a specific image you project to the world, you may be
                                      uncomfortable or even compromised by altering your appearance in a manner
                                      not easily corrected.

                                      Some folks may have a 20 or 30 year beard or, for that matter, the length of
                                      their hair that they don't wish to give up because of how it may effect
                                      those around them.

                                      Some may wish to comply, some may not. If you are willing, then good on you!
                                      But, your beard obviously doesn't mean all that much to you, does it? For
                                      others, it may be more important, and for reasons you might not accept or
                                      understand.

                                      It is still a personal choice.

                                      "Major" Tom (sometimes bearded, sometimes not, but always long-haired)

                                      _____