An Invitation to Garrison Fort Niagara for a Weekend this Fall, Winter or Spring

  • bru1764
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2010
      Fort Niagara welcomes individual reenactment units to take up "winter garrison" in the fort for a weekend in the "off season". Scheduling is one unit per weekend, reserved in advance, on a first-come-first-served basis. In addition to providing "housing" in the North Redoubt (which is "winterized" from November onward, making it slightly less drafty), the fort provides wood and water. In exchange we only ask that you provide an historical presence for the public during our open hours (9 to 5). Specifically how you choose to do this (drill, firing, 19th century skills, cooking, snowshoe practice, &c) is up to you. In other words, there is no "cost" for this. You get the benefit of experiencing Fort Niagara in a different season than you may be accustomed to, and we get the benefit of "added color" for our public on the weekends. (Your time also counts in our "Volunteer Hours Log" which can help Fort Niagara when applying for grants and such.)

      To have your questions answered, or to look into scheduling a weekend, please get in touch.

      Sincerely,
      Jere Brubaker
      Assistant Director, Old Fort Niagara Historic Site
      email: brubakerjp@...
      office: 716-745-7611 ext. 225