1812 Re: Reenacting and Economics

  • James Yaworsky
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 23, 2010
      Surely the bottom line as regards the reenactors' contribution to the local economy when they attend an event is this: without the reenactors, there is no reenactment. The reenactors are volunteers and require minimal resources from the host.

      Therefore, the real issue is, how many members of the general public pay to attend a reenactment (thereby affecting the host site's bottom line) and how many of those spectators spend money in the local community as a result of being attracted to the local community by the reenactment event.

      I would be very surprised if any organizer is thinking of the reenactors as an important *source* of spending, whether on-site or in the local community. When I was the principal organizer of a small event in Windsor in the early 1990's, we certainly didn't regard the reenactors that way. We were glad that they showed up!!! We figured every reenactor present *generated* a multiple increase in terms of paying spectators... big events usually attract big audiences. Although it usually takes a few years for the maximum spectator-generating potential of a big event to be fully realized.

      Jim Yaworsky