Re: Oh Poop - Fort Erie

  • a10rca
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 9, 2010
      Hi Jim
      Yes, you and we, have fallen victim to the calendar and holidays.
      The first Monday of August in Ontario (and in another hotbed of Tory settlement, New Brunswick) is a Civic Holiday also known as Simcoe Day in Upper Canada. The Fort Erie event always falls on the Saturday following the long weekend. Other events also revolve around that long weekend. Any attempt to place the event on the actual date of Drummond's assault would bugger up the rest of the events calendar in this area.

      Apologies to Jim and many others. It will be a day earlier next year on August 6, 7 and 8, 2011.

      A huge thank you to all the participants who made it out this year for the blow out. More thank you's to follow from Heather and her crew. Your hardwork and dedication created another amazing event. Those who participate in the candle lit tours each and every year are truly amazing people who spent over 15 hours in kit on Saturday. We received comments that this year's tour was the most noisy, smokey and scary siege tour to date. The surgery was a bloody mess.
      The best comment of all came from a group who thought it would be very silly but found the experience to be 'poignant'. That is not easy to pull off and should be the point of the commemoration. Fifer Dennison added poignancy to the closing of each engagement with the playing of a lament.
      Thanks again
      Jim

      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "rubber duck (original one)" <jbrown_14105@...> wrote:

      > Greetings 1812'ers,
      > Oh Poop, I thought Fort Erie was ALWAYS the second week-end in August.
      > Sorry to have missed you all!
      > (How come it is the first week-end this year?)
      > Jim Brown
      > US 25th Infantry

    • R FELTOE
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 10, 2010
        Fort Erie august 13 -14, 2011 will be the second weekend of august - sacket's is
        first weekend august 6 - 7, 2011